Just what we all need, a mini Avalanche.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Take all of that plastic garbage off of it, simplify the grill/front bumper on it, and then see if it will sell.

2017-ram-rampage-artists-rendering-top-inline-photo-657891-s-original.jpg

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/2017-ram-rampage-25-cars-worth-waiting-for-feature

I like the shape of it. Too much plastic Transformer-looking cladding, but I do like the shape. And I love the concept of a truck for those who wish to buy only as much capability as they want or need. I'd like a Dakota-sized truck with a 3.6L V-6 tuned for more torque and a 5- or 6-speed automatic transmission.

Also: the link said FWD-based platform, but the front wheels seem awfully close to the grille area, with a healthy amount of distance behind them before the cabin begins. If that really is FWD, then good on them for packaging it right!

Hopefully all that exterior plastic is only on the "top" trim level. I don't know about the market for this type of vehicle, but it doesn't seem good. The Subaru Baja was killed off 10 years ago and it's been ages since the Brat, El Camino and Rabbit pickup. Maybe some of those folks are ready for a replacement?

Hopefully it'll be available in a regular cab, long bed configuration. I agree that all the plastic is ugly, but I like the concept of a small truck like this.

I wonder if that's based on the new Mitsubishi L200. The new one will also appear as a Fiat pick-up, so the link is there...

EDIT: just clicked the link and read the first line of the article
whistle.gif

might not be the new L200 though

the Giulietta/Dart platform was built to accomodate AWD systems aswell, could be a Dart

Last edited:
Subaru sold the Baja through 2006, Ford sold the Explorer Sport Trac through 2010, and Honda sold the Ridgeline through 2014. Honda is re-introducing the Ridgeline in 2016 or 2017 and now Ram appears to be entering this market as well. I think it's a small market, but it's large enough for many auto makers to have played in it, and it's large enough that at least two are still going after it. The consistent format is short bed with four true doors -- for families looking for car-like comfort with a limited amount of open-bed utility.

I don't consider the Avalanche part of the same market -- it's essentially a re-bodied body on frame truck whereas some of the others, including this new Ram model, are unibody-based. The Sport Trac was sort of an odd one -- offering a compact body on frame truck with independent rear suspension (in the 2nd generation model).

I'd definitely give it a look-see. I've loaded down the Dakota a couple of times, but truth be told, in the 14 years that I've owned it, it's been of more use to haul messy stuff that I'd rather not put in the trunk of a car than to haul heavy cargo.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I like the shape of it. Too much plastic Transformer-looking cladding, but I do like the shape. And I love the concept of a truck for those who wish to buy only as much capability as they want or need. I'd like a Dakota-sized truck with a 3.6L V-6 tuned for more torque and a 5- or 6-speed automatic transmission.

I agree. Without all that cheap chincy looking plastic it'd look great. Plus all that plastic [censored] will be all faded out and crumbly in a couple years. Why in the world do car mfg's do that?

I don't know what FCA is thinking, all their new vehicles look worse and worse.

I hope they are not pulling a BMW; IE peaking at near perfection than jumping off a cliff.

Weirdness seems popular with certain models like Kia Soul, Nissan Juke to name a few. Another whacko model is Subaru CrossTrek XV in terms of looks.

This may actually sell. No predictions here.

I have to say, the plastic is better than the stone hits and scratches from branches and thorns when driven across woods and fields.
If that is supposed to be a truck it needs more than a four cylinder. Perhaps put the jeep 4.0 in there. An even smaller bed on an already small truck is not too useful. Too much like a ridgeline. Stretch the wheel base out and have a decent bed and it might sell.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back