Using a fluid extractor to change the oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anybody have experience using a fluid extractor to change their oil? Good or bad? I am ready to jump at this option rather than buying the ramps as the extractor is completely new to me. Thanks

I do it a lot, no know issues to date. But I also do my OC a bit sooner than I normally would if I were dropping it from the pan. I also use magnetic drain plugs and pull the plug every 3rd or 4th oil change.

???????????????????

Awesome. What brand name is it and does it seem like it will hold up for a long time? Can you/ do you use it to change out transmission fluid as well?

Originally Posted By: 2civics
Does anybody have experience using a fluid extractor to change their oil? Good or bad? I am ready to jump at this option rather than buying the ramps as the extractor is completely new to me. Thanks

People do it all the time for boat engines where the oil pan is buried in the bilge. It may leave 1/2 QT of old oil.

Originally Posted By: shanneba
I've never taken the drain plug out of my BMW in the 12 years I've owned it. The dealer did the first four years under the free maintenance program.

And since then you've used an extractor?

Originally Posted By: Donald

People do it all the time for boat engines where the oil pan is buried in the bilge. It may leave 1/2 QT of old oil.

Hmmm... this means 1/8th of my oil would be old still.....

I use one on my tractor as its a pita to change gets oil all over.
It leaves 2.5oz on a 48oz sump.
Its also helpful on all the ope, it gets 90% or more out of the snowblower and push mower.. and no mess or gas from flipping it.
The bigger issue on the car.. can you change the filter without ramps?

Some cars you will get as much as the drain plug.. others will leave abit behind.

Last edited:
Care must be taken to get the extractor hose down to the bottom of the sump. It's a good idea to compare the pickup length to that of the dip stick to and use a slightly longer length to ensure reaching the bottom. Don't try pumping cold oil out of a cold engine in the winter, among other things the hose may be stiff and not make the little bends found in dipstick tubes easily. When you begin to hear and see bubbles in the oil being removed, try pushing the pickup in a bit more and see if the bubbles stop. At some point they won't and the pan is as empty as it's going to get. Measuring what I put in to reach the full mark I find that there is less than an eighth of a quart I can't pump out. Good enough for me,

I knew a guy years ago who swore that all the nasty heavy metal and sludge [censored] you wanted to get out of your car were in the last few drops of oil that would drain out of the pan...he would let his cars drain overnight if he could.
But, to be honest, he was pretty much a maniac and also not really very bright all around. I would have no problem using an extractor and honestly didn't look into that before I bought my ramps. My filter is right on top of the engine, so I'd have no reason to get under the car for a change if I had an extractor.

What ever oil is left won't matter .just like the people who let their oil drain for hours .It is foolish worrying about the unimportant things in life. Change the oil on a regular and timely basis ,all will be fine.

Originally Posted By: shanneba
I've never taken the drain plug out of my BMW in the 12 years I've owned it.

Same here. I've been doing oil changes via extractor on my BMW since the day I bought it, so that's 9 years now.

It is stupid easy on BMWs of that era that also have the oil filter easily accessible from the top. It's a shame that new BMW engines don't have dipstick tubes.

It really depends on the particular engine. Some engines have oil sumps designed in such a way that you will be able to pull out everything via extractor. In other engines - significant amount of oil may be left behind. So, you need to be more specific with your question and ask for people's experiences using a fluid extractor with YOUR SPECIFIC ENGINE.

I did it for several years on my Mercedes W126 and W202. The Park Avenue I tried, but no go. Don't know if the '11 Regal can accommodate an extractor.

Thanks for the replies. Anyone have a brand recommendation by chance? I see Mitivac as having good ratings on Amazon.....

I don't own one. I did recommend the 7201 MityVac to my son who owns an Audi S4 with a top mounted cartridge filter. He likes it, no need to touch the drain plug. Oil extractors seem particularly well suited to the top mounted cartridge filter applications. Not to say they don't work well for others.

And if changing a spin on filter every other change suits you, think the extractor would also be ideal.

Might think about getting one in the future myself. In my observation, MityVac seems to be the preferred brand here.

Thanks for the replies. Anyone have a brand recommendation by chance? I see Mitivac as having good ratings on Amazon.....

Whichever brand you get, just don't get one that has the pump submerged inside the collection tank like Mityvac 7400. The seals on these have a tendency to leak over time, and they are typically not serviceable. If you want Mityvac, get the 7201 model that has the pump on the outside.

Ask me how I know. Both my Mityvac and Pela died the same way. I now use a TopSider. It's a bit quirky, but at least it has the pump on the outside.

NO.What about the 1 quart that is likely sludgy at the bottom. What about the filter? On MOST cars, you have to jack it up to get to the filter anyway. If you do, why not just pull the plug and do it right? As for less messy, the filter is the most messy part, especially on Honda K series. Do you want to save a few minutes, or have your engine thank you for the extra effort by lasting longer? Just my opinion.

Originally Posted By: Donald

Do you plan on changing the filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back