2004 BMW 325i Engine Stumbling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
So I'm selling a 2004 BMW 325i for a family friend, and every once in a while it stumbles. This has happened twice in a parking lot each time. What happens is when touching the gas to go or speed up a little it stumbles a little bit and the RPMs drop, then the oil pressure light flashes since the RPMs go quite low. It doesn't stall and afterwards it's fine, no check engine lights.

I'd like to see if I can fix it before trying to sell it so it doesn't act weird on a test drive for a potential buyer.

Is there a common problem that causes this on these? I know nothing about BMWs. I checked the oil level and it is full, and the air filter is pretty dirty but doesn't look all plugged up.

Maybe clean the MAF?

I don't know what kind of gas is in it. It just got driven 150 miles the past 2 days, 95% highway. It says to use Unleaded gas, but do these require Premium?

Clean ICV (Idle Control Valve) and MAF, inspect DISA unit, replace all intake rubber arms (they Crack, but cheap to replace), clean TB, and replace CCV system with Cold Weather version. Secondary air pump is a possibility as well...
That's a good start.
Cam/crank pos sensors, etc too.

Take the throttle body off the engine and clean the carbon out. Pay special attention to the slots in the bottom of the butterfly; that's where the air enters when the butterfly is closed. Spray the carb cleaner on white Scotch-Brite and go to town. Rinse the liquified carbon off before it dries and re-solidifies. Make sure to clean the passage where the IAC sits. You gotta work fast because that M.E.K. evaporates super quick in the summertime.

From reading the replies, it does not seem like easy or trivial fix. Sell it off and let the new owner fix all those things.

Realistically, only somebody who loves this vehicle would be meticulous in going through the list or somebody who has extremely fat wallet and can write big checks. I do not get the feeling that you personally satisfy either of those criteria.

I know I am extremely harsh on you but that is the bottom line.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
From reading the replies, it does not seem like easy or trivial fix. Sell it off and let the new owner fix all those things.

Realistically, only somebody who loves this vehicle would be meticulous in going through the list or somebody who has extremely fat wallet and can write big checks. I do not get the feeling that you personally satisfy either of those criteria.

I know I am extremely harsh on you but that is the bottom line.
No, I won't be doing hard repairs or expensive repairs. I'm just trying to sell it and would rather it not stumble on a test drive and turn off a potential buyer. If it's an easy cheap fix then I'll do it like clean some sensors or the throttle body (if the throttle body is easy to clean). I'll also get some Techron for it and use premium fuel in the meantime. I won't have the title to sell it for about 2 weeks so it'll be my daily driver until then.

You should be able to find a local indy shop that can do a full diagnosis for about a $100, but that's $100 that you will never get back, even before you start fixing anything.

As for a potential buyer, if it's someone who knows BMWs, he will either know right away what this car needs to run right, or he will insist on a PPI, which will again reveal everything that the car needs, and he will use that info to drive the price down.

So, for your own good, you're better off with a buyer who does not know much about BMWs. Give this thing good interior and exterior cleaning, make it shine like dog's balls, and hope it attracts someone who just wants that cool white and blue roundel and overlooks everything else.

Like someone else mentioned earlier, these cars are great if meticulously and proactively maintained. Otherwise they can be a nuisance and a money pit. With that said, if the diagnosis reveals that it doesn't need a whole lot to run right, why not consider buying it yourself? Although judging by your other posts, you may be ready to part ways with German cars altogether...
smile.gif

This E46 would be really nice if it was a stick.

I'd love to own it and considered it for a moment, but I want to get back into a cheap to fix car that I can fix everything myself, like I did my Camry. It drove great today, and I reset the average mpg. It did 40 mpg on the highway at 65 mph and the average with a couple miles of city driving got it down to 37 mpg.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
It drove great today, and I reset the average mpg. It did 40 mpg on the highway at 65 mph and the average with a couple miles of city driving got it down to 37 mpg.

Don't believe that on-board computer too much.
smile.gif

But yeah, you can get decent MPG out of it on the hwy.

I'd love to own it and considered it for a moment, but I want to get back into a cheap to fix car that I can fix everything myself, like I did my Camry. It drove great today, and I reset the average mpg. It did 40 mpg on the highway at 65 mph and the average with a couple miles of city driving got it down to 37 mpg.

They are actually quite easy to wrench on. Get a copy of TIS and you can do any work that doesn't require a hoist yourself.

Don't get to deep in that car, it sounds like a pig. Spend $50 detailing it to the 9's and put it all over Craigslist. Someone will buy it for a cheap ghetto cruiser.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

They are actually quite easy to wrench on. Get a copy of TIS and you can do any work that doesn't require a hoist yourself.

X1000

Quote:
This is $2000-$3000 car
Really? I would think it should be at least $8K or more. Of course I don't know my BMWs but similar Acura/Lexus would be at least $10K+

For $2K, I will grab EljeFino to accompany me to AZ and buy it myself and we will drive back to New England :)

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Quote:
This is $2000-$3000 car
Really? I would think it should be at least $8K or more. Of course I don't know my BMWs but similar Acura/Lexus would be at least $10K+

Given the relatively low miles, I would say it's worth somewhere in the vicinity of $6K (private party sale), IF there is nothing wrong with it and it's in overall clean condition. If it needs repairs, then subtract from there.

Nah they are worth very little, anyone with money leases a new one and has no interest in a car that old.

A buy here pay here lot would probably get $6k for it about four times over! LOL.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back