Short Tripping (Synthetic vs. Conventional & OCI)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually somewhat discounted the maintenance minder up to this point. I will keep better tabs on what it is telling me and compare the two cars to see if I see a big difference since both are 8th gen civics. Thanks

Don't idle, and don't stress. The use described is within the wide variety of conditions automobiles were designed for. M1 is a very high quality oil and you have nothing at all to worry about. Just drive normally and don't give it another thought.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Don't idle, and don't stress. The use described is within the wide variety of conditions automobiles were designed for. M1 is a very high quality oil and you have nothing at all to worry about. Just drive normally and don't give it another thought.

I couldn't have said this better.^^

Originally Posted By: ryanschillinger
How is giving it a couple minutes of high idle, waiting for it to come down a bit before driving, considered prolonged idling? And how is it worse for the car to warm up at a no load idle condition, instead of driving it? If wear is worst when cold, shouldn't it make sense to keep the load and rpm low until the temp
Comes up a bit...? My 67 and 69 fords get a good 5 minutes of warming up before driving. They are cold blooded and carbureted. These cars get maybe 2 minutes of idling before driving.

The engine warms up faster if you drive it. Besides wear happens mostly at startup.

I appreciate the "don't worry" sentiments but these are "severe service" conditions, especially in the winter, and I just want to be sure I am doing all I can.

Originally Posted By: Provi
Originally Posted By: ryanschillinger
How is giving it a couple minutes of high idle, waiting for it to come down a bit before driving, considered prolonged idling? And how is it worse for the car to warm up at a no load idle condition, instead of driving it? If wear is worst when cold, shouldn't it make sense to keep the load and rpm low until the temp
Comes up a bit...? My 67 and 69 fords get a good 5 minutes of warming up before driving. They are cold blooded and carbureted. These cars get maybe 2 minutes of idling before driving.

The engine warms up faster if you drive it. Besides wear happens mostly at startup.

No it doesn't.

As has been posted many times wear happens during the warm up phase while the oil is warm enough to thin out but not hot enough to activate the additive package.
So in essence the oil when cold has enough viscosity to maintain parts separation. As it warms and thins this barrier weakens until the oil is hot and the anti-wear additives kick in.
The castrol commercials weren't telling the whole truth. The marketing department isn't the right place to get info from.

I'm not saying I'm right in letting my cars idle a bit before driving. That's just something I do, and I don't see any harm in it. It was just a suggestion if the OP was concerned about the car not reaching operating temperature during the drive back and forth all week, they could let the car warm up before driving to give the engine a chance to get up to temperature. My old cars run like [censored] until they're warm. They get a good 4-5 minutes of warmup from a cold start before they can be expected to run smoothly. The newer stuff just gets a couple of minutes really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back