Why did the spinning Shell signs disappear?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
Just wondering why they abandoned that concept. It was very unique!

Cost to build, to run and to maintain them. And they likley did not increase sales.

They also discontinued advertising low tar parliament cigarettes too...

Times change.

But I agree, it was a better looking and more catchy sign - signage these days, to me, has lost a lot of its class and flair. Looking at old pictures of downtowns from the 40s and 50s, with lots of nice neon signs, it sure strikes me as nicer looking, perhaps it wasnt at the time.

But I recall spinning signs, Ive seen some around now and again, and I agree that it was a great approach. I wish they were still in use. Probably what happened was as they failed, they got put into one locked position and the cheapest way to fix it was to turn it off and bolt it in place. So thats what people did.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
Just wondering why they abandoned that concept. It was very unique!

Cost to build, to run and to maintain them. And they likley did not increase sales.

Also.....I believe there are fewer service stations, all told, than there were 40 years ago. Service stations are much larger.....But almost all those 2 pumps stations are long gone.

I figure they went away when Green Stamps went away and we had to start pumping our own gas. When the price of fuel went nuts people started scapegoating the spinning signs and the guy who checks your dipstick as being frivolous and actually a negative.

It's like those who think that a warehouse club with metal industrial shelves is just sooooo much cheaper than a store with more elegant fixtures.

32.gif
Didn't KFC used to have a spinning bucket of chicken outside their restaurants? I was born too late.
laugh.gif

Last time I went to Shell(a few weeks ago) I noticed a generic looking fuel tanker filling up the tanks. Where in the past a Shell tanker truck would be filling the tanks. Hope I really got some "top tier" fuel instead of who knows what. This was at a newer station also.

i remember the gas stations would pump your gas check your oil air the tires give knives and other promotional stuff and S@H or Blue Chip stamps . There was at least two gas stations at every main intersection. Until the corporations figured out the mass consumers were gullible fools then that was the end of the good times.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Last time I went to Shell(a few weeks ago) I noticed a generic looking fuel tanker filling up the tanks. Where in the past a Shell tanker truck would be filling the tanks. Hope I really got some "top tier" fuel instead of who knows what. This was at a newer station also.
All gas is the same Some companies add more additives at time of distribution.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver

Most tankers here are generic. I figure shell would have a conniption if someone saw a branded tanker dumping at a no-name station, but be more understanding of generic delivery.

I remember the spinning service-station signs, too.

I think Bluestream has the right answer.

@satinsilver: I think it's just the delivery company that is generic. Instead of funding a fleet of SHELL-liveried trucks, they just hire a local company to do the delivery. I have to believe the fuel inside has SHELL's additive package...

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
I remember the spinning service-station signs, too.

I think Bluestream has the right answer.

@satinsilver: I think it's just the delivery company that is generic. Instead of funding a fleet of SHELL-liveried trucks, they just hire a local company to do the delivery. I have to believe the fuel inside has SHELL's additive package...

The additive package is added at the station not at the refinery. SO a tanker can drop odd at Shell then Exxon with the same gas.

The additive set is usually added at the refinery or at the distributor's/blender's facility, depending on the contract.

The spinning sign had an electric motor connected to a transmission, thrust bearings for the rotating sign proper, and slip rings for the electrical lighting.

Each node in that system was a failure point.

I do miss them, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back