Using car ramps to change oil/ transmission fluid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been a long time since I slid under a car. (Early 20's) I'm looking for the safest way to get under my car to do basic fluid changes. What do you think of car ramps combined with safety jacks in place just in case? Does it get any safer than that? Thanks

Last edited:
Tough to beat a good set of ramps. Combined with safety jacks they should be very safe.

I can wiggle under my cars without lifting them for oil changes and I could remove the AT drain plug if I wanted to.

When I top off the gear oil in my Rav4, I use plastic ramps without any jack stands.

I use the Rhino ramps available at most any auto parts store or Walmart. Half the price of those racing ramps.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
On a Honda turn the wheels toward the passenger side and drain plug is easily accessible.

Without the ramps? Are you able to get to the oil filter as well?

Last edited:
I had a 1978 Cadillac Eldorado. They were the huge front wheel drive boats. I pulled it up on steel ramps to change the oil and it sat there for about 5 minutes and then just collapsed and buckled the ramps-flat. I ended up getting new ramps and welding all this reinforcement steel on them. It still spooked me, since I was just getting ready to go under there. I place wood blocks under the steel part of the ramps now, I feel that would give you some time and room to escape. Even though I don't own any big Caddies now. The weight of that car was over 6500 lbs. My biggest vehicle is the Dodge and it sits high enough to service without ramps.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
I had a 1978 Cadillac Eldorado. They were the huge front wheel drive boats. I pulled it up on steel ramps to change the oil and it sat there for about 5 minutes and then just collapsed and buckled the ramps-flat. I ended up getting new ramps and welding all this reinforcement steel on them. It still spooked me, since I was just getting ready to go under there. I place wood blocks under the steel part of the ramps now, I feel that would give you some time and room to escape. Even though I don't own any big Caddies now. The weight of that car was over 6500 lbs. My biggest vehicle is the Dodge and it sits high enough to service without ramps.

Wow. This is my fear alright....

For me, a hydraulic jack with good jack stands. Never cared for ramps.This way the jack stands are supporting the weight, not the ramps.Ramps could shift easier than jack stands with the vehicle weight on them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 2civics
What do you think of car ramps combined with safety jacks in place just in case?

Exactly what I do.

I use the heavy duty Rhino ramps to change the oil and filter in my wife's 2005 Explorer. They work fine, much better than the metal ramps I was using previously.

Whimsey

I have a pair of 4 ton ramps and I've never felt the need to use any additional supports, off the top of my head the heaviest I've had up there was a Range Rover and a Ford Transit.

If the tools are upto the job you'll be just fine, but if you want the reassurance of additional supports then keep propping it up until you're happy to get under it.

I use ramps made by Rhino purchased at Wal-Mart for the cars in my signature. They work. Plastic ramps are far safer than the Jimmy Carter era metal ramps.

I use metal ramps alone but I like the concept of ramps plus stands. If the stand on its lowest setting doesn't match the jack point I'd put blocking under it to bring it up to the right height. I trust blocking more than I trust the ratchet system.

It's really nice to be able to get under there and look around.

Neither Civic would seriously tax the weight rating of any grade of Rhino Ramp.
Buy the biggest, since they're wider and longer.
There is no easier way, sort of a lift, to change oil or trans fluid with any car that must be raised for access.

i have 12k ramps i got at a yard sale brand new and their perfect for oil and tranny jobs.

have held:
11 kia sorento
91 miata
10 tacoma 4x4
96 jeep 4x4 lifted on 33's
2010 dodge advenger

i prefer them over stands, less work lol.
chock the rear wheels with a cement block and im good

Originally Posted By: Panzerman

I had an excursion break rhino ramps, like you it sat there a little while then bulged on the sides and collapsed.
These ramps were older, about 5 years old, it seems the plastic deteriorates over the years and gets brittle.

Rhino 12K pound ramps are affordable and good quality. I buy the stronger Rhino ramps as they will have more margin of safety built into them. I can usually change the oil without having to put more than my arm under the car. If I have to climb complety under the car, I will use ramps under the wheels and jack stands under the frame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back