06 Audi 2.0 FSI oil recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick search tells me I need VW 504 00/507 00. There are hundreds of oils that meet those requirements. There is one thing I don't understand about OCI, some are longlife, others are normal on those. Car is in northern Germany so winters can be harsh, and car will be used mostly on short trips. What to use and with what OCI?

I'm aware of that, but it's usually coupled with VW 504 specification. That's the reason I've mentioned it.

Originally Posted By: chrisri
Quick search tells me I need VW 504 00/507 00. There are hundreds of oils that meet those requirements. There is one thing I don't understand about OCI, some are longlife, others are normal on those. Car is in northern Germany so winters can be harsh, and car will be used mostly on short trips. What to use and with what OCI?

Well, in Croatia you have much less sulfur then in the U.S.
However, 06 TFSI is fuel dilution monster. I would go with 5W40 VW 505.01 so you have more TBN in as back up.
I personally would not run in 1st gen 2.0TFSI 5W30 oil.
OCI? 8-10,000KM

Last edited:
I'm using Mobil1 5W30ESP in mine (same car). It seems that this may be the best chance of fighting off intake valve deposits, and looking at a complete VOA (including NOACK) this looks to be a very high-quality oil.

Given the low starting TBN of it (and other low ash oils), I wouldn't extend the OCI over 8km, particularly if you're short-tripping it.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

It's not 1990--sulfur limits in most of the U.S. are quite low (30ppm), and 10ppm in California.

Originally Posted By: JOD
I'm using Mobil1 5W30ESP in mine (same car). It seems that this may be the best chance of fighting off intake valve deposits, and looking at a complete VOA (including NOACK) this looks to be a very high-quality oil.

Given the low starting TBN of it (and other low ash oils), I wouldn't extend the OCI over 8km, particularly if you're short-tripping it.

This is what I recommend her, and this is what Mobil UK recommends for this particular engine. Other option I gave her was Shell H. Ultra ETC which carries similar approvals.

Eddy, this is naturally aspirated FSI engine which is direct injected if I'm not mistaken. Do you stand by your previous recommendation since you've assumed that it's a turbo engine?

Last edited:

504/507 is for fixed intervals and flexible intervals.

Back in the day, VW had different standards for fixed and flexible intervals.

502/505 oils were fixed.
503/506 oils were flexible intervals.

then VW essentially created a standard to combine 502, 503, 505 & 506 oils

Originally Posted By: edyvw

It's not 1990--sulfur limits in most of the U.S. are quite low (30ppm), and 10ppm in California.

CA has lower sulfur limit, 30ppm is not "quite low." I experimented with M1 ESP 5W30, and after two UOA I would not keep it longer then 3,000 miles, 4,000 at most.

This is what I recommend her, and this is what Mobil UK recommends for this particular engine. Other option I gave her was Shell H. Ultra ETC which carries similar approvals.

Eddy, this is naturally aspirated FSI engine which is direct injected if I'm not mistaken. Do you stand by your previous recommendation since you've assumed that it's a turbo engine?

Yes, I would still use 5W40 VW 505.01.
Mid-SAPS wll help with deposits. Also, Europe has different burn so not as much worry as in the U.S> when it comes to carbon deposits.
However, it is still fuel dilution monster. So, oil will get diluted.

Last edited:
the FSI has the Stratified Mode which the turbos do not have, so, with the Stratified mode, they may not get the fuel dilution turbos have.

Using the same oil as the FIAT, may be fine.

505.01, has this weird characteristic, where it initially does shear, to a lower viscosity, then slowly regains its viscosity via particulate matter retention. So, that actually scares me more (why I never used a 505.01 oil)

This morning my cousin went to a dealer for a service ( cambelt and fluids). She asked about 505.01 oil, but technician advised against using it in a FSI. He said Euro IV engines require 504.00 and that's what they putted in. I told her that she should have bought Alfa GT, that way we wouldn't have this confusion.

Ehhh so you would avoid buying that car only because of that oil confusion?
smile.gif

Put in any C3 oil in 5w40...like repsol elite...and that will be it...

First when I came here I found americans funny because they were complicating about oil so much...

It seems that kind of "virus" started to attack my "balkan brothers"
smile.gif
Sorry but I am slightly scared because of that behaving amongst my neighbours
smile.gif

VW504.00 and VW507.00 are the low saps, petrol and diesel spec oil designed for the longlife service regime.

VW501.01/VW502.00 and VW505.00/VW505.01 are the petrol and diesel fixed interval oil

The FSi engine would require a VW504.00 on longlife servicing and 501.01/502.00 on fixed interval

Longlife servicing is designed for lightly loaded, long distance driving. If the car is doing mainly start-stop, towing or spirited driving then it should be on fixed interval servicing.

From the type of driving the car is doing my recommendation would be

Fixed interval - 5w-40 VW502.00

This morning my cousin went to a dealer for a service ( cambelt and fluids). She asked about 505.01 oil, but technician advised against using it in a FSI. He said Euro IV engines require 504.00 and that's what they putted in. I told her that she should have bought Alfa GT, that way we wouldn't have this confusion.

VW505.01 is a diesel oil chap so is not relevant to the FSi engine

VW504.00 has nothing to do with euro IV, the 504.00 is the petrol longlife oil spec so if she's on longlife servicing then they've used the correct oil.

Riggaz mate, where were you five days ago. Some other members recommended using 505.01, that's why I told her to ask dealership about it. I'm clueless on VAG in general, and in oil requirements. Dealer did told her that they use 504.00 in Euro IV and newer cars. Maybe she didn't understand right or they didn't bother to clarify further to her. So in your opinion 502 would be best suited for her driving conditions? I will tell her to switch on next OCI.

The VW 504.00 is actually a more stringent spec than VW 502.00, so I see no problem using it in your cousin's application.

For the record, if anyone from the US is reading this thread, current owner manuals of VAG cars sold in the US recommend either 502.00 or 504.00 spec for gasoline engines, and all the VAG cars sold here are on fixed oil change intervals, AFAIK.

I would panic too much chap, even though the VW505.01 is the PD diesel approval and not relevant to a petrol engine it's almost always coupled with the VW502.00 approval. The dealer has put the correct oil in it, nothing bad will happen but the VW502.00/VW501.01 is the primary recommendation for fixed interval on her engine.

For her driving conditions she should be on the fixed interval regime as per the advice in the link below

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/servicing/regimes

5w-40 502.00 like Shell Helix Ultra 5w-40 would be my choice.

Last edited:
Haha, no panic here mate, but as you can see plenty of different opinions in this thread made by very knowledgeable VW enthusiasts. Car is in a very good nick for its age, and she will keep it for a while.
Thanks guys for your help.

Last edited:
If it's not gulping oil, go with the usual stuff. If it uses oil like its going out of style, give serious consideration to using a 20W50 (or 20W40 if you can get it). You need a low volatility oil to keep the stuff in the sump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back