Copper grease for caliper pins?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Spetz

This forum is mostly American and they'll tell you to use silicone grease.

99% of Garages and home mechanics in the UK use copper crease on slider pins and pads without issue. Just use whatever you have to hand

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Sil-glyde if its available there.

+1 - there have been occurrences of an incorrect grease damaging the boot that covers the slider pin. Get a grease for disc brakes.

Last edited:
An alternative is the "3M Silicone Paste" (since 3M products are available in Australia); it's silicone based and 3M and some Honda mechanics say it can be aplied on caliper guide pins.

Cooper grease has mineral oil base. So no, it can't be used.

CRC has a black,moly type lube in a squeeze tube or bottle with brush.

How corrosive is the copper grease you can buy over there?! Melting boots must take some toxic/corrosive substances..

Colleges, Garages and Dealerships all use copper grease to lube the moving parts of the brake system - I've done countless brake jobs in my lifetime, certainly in the hundreds and most probably into the thousands and copper grease has not once been an issue even with loyal customers that come back again and again where I've been under their car regularly over the years that they owned it.

Either the boots in the us are made of very cheap material, or yout copper grease is a lot more dangerous than ours..

Spetz you could phone your local garage and ask them what they use

Originally Posted By: Spetz
What lube/grease can I use for brake caliper pins?

What kind of car? What make, model, and year?

Brakes are NOT all the same.

Originally Posted By: Olas
I've done countless brake jobs in my lifetime, certainly in the hundreds and most probably into the thousands and copper grease has not once been an issue even with loyal customers that come back again and again where I've been under their car regularly over the years that they owned it.

Ditto, never ever seen a problem using copper coat, some customers cars I've maybe put in 3 or 4 sets of pads, never seen an issue. But for the OP, I was rebuilding some Aussie trailer calipers a few weeks ago, and the instructions (yes, I do read them) said to use only rubber grease, and they had rubber grease on the pins...I didn't.

The Japanese call for a rubber grease like Niglube RM-2 which Toyota sells as Toyota Rubber Grease or silicone grease like Dow 111/3M Silicone Paste. DO NOT use petroleum or PAO-based grease!

Originally Posted By: nthach
The Japanese call for a rubber grease like Niglube RM-2 which Toyota sells as Toyota Rubber Grease or silicone grease like Dow 111/3M Silicone Paste. DO NOT use petroleum or PAO-based grease!

So would Sil-Glyde not be a good idea on late model Toyotas?

Originally Posted By: SumpChump
Originally Posted By: nthach

So would Sil-Glyde not be a good idea on late model Toyotas?

I've used Sil-Glyde with success on a Toyota. There's not too much silicone in it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back