Napa 15w40 cj-4 napa brand? Good for cat Mack and

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok. I apologize if this has already been asked. I searched the forum all over and didnt see this topic.

I have numerous caterpillar, John Deere, Mack, cummins, and case heavy equipment. I also have power strokes.

We have traditionally used delo400 or rotella. I have lately been trying Napa brand 15w40 cj-4 oil in everything. I used to know with confidence thst Napa oil was really Valvoline. I always thought Valvoline was decent. Right?

I can get a gallon of Napa or Valvoline 15w40 for $10-11 per gallon versus $15.00 and up for Dello or rotella.

Is this oil a good choice and do I have the story straight on this being a Valvoline oil at same quality as dello or rotella? And super tech is just as good right?

Also. My Napa dealer sold me 15w40 in quarts for like $2.00 a quart on sale. But as I drove off I thought...wait....is the 15w40 in quarts some type of automotive oil or is it a cj-4 oil for diesels? I guess I should take it back?

Can anyone elaborate on my questions? I like to buy a decent oil at a good price. I have too many machines to buy a name when it may be the same oil. I am in the north georgia area. Thanks!

I can't assure you that the NAPA oil is produced by Valvoline, but it was for a long time and the last I knew. Several years ago I bought a 55 gallon drum of NAPA and ran five oci's in my Cat C15 with good results in my UOA's. I doubt it's an identical formulation to Valvoline Premium Blue, but CJ-4 oils are good regardless of the name.

I wouldn't hesitate to use NAPA or Supertech 15W40. I used Supertech once in 2014 and it perfomed well. If the NAPA is your best deal, run it!

I'm not aware of a 15W40 made just for passenger cars. The quarts you bought should be labeled for whatever API rating for which it was made...is it not?

And,
welcome2.gif

Kevin

welcome2.gif

After seeing and studying thousands upon thousands of UOAs, I can assure you that any qualified lube you use in the correct application for the OEM spec'd duration will do a fine job and you're not likely to find any disparity in performance, and cost is often a result of marketing. The big three (Delo, Delvac, Rotella) are excellent lubes I've personally used, but I've also used house brands (Napa, AAP, AZ, ST) and had great experiences with them.

Save the money and buy the lowest cost qualified lube at the time of purchase. Your engine will never know the difference, but your wallet will.

Thanks for the reply guys! I looked back on the quart jug and it is indeed cj-4. I will post a picture. It has to be Valvoline if it says it is made in Ashland?

I am using an iPad or iPhone. How do I attach a photo to a post? I do select this one thing and it says "attach non floating image". But, when I select that, it wants me to attach a website link? Any tips?

Ashland makes Valvoline. Ashland also makes many of Napa's lubes. That does NOT mean that the VPB is the exact formulation as the Napa HDEO. They are likely similar.

But it really does not matter. Use any qualified CJ-4 and worry about something more important like the ever shrinking supply of one-eye-one-horned-flying-purple-people-eaters ...
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: mountainmover
Thanks. What is napa hdso?

HDEO; it's the designation for the engine oil category you've posted in.

I switched from gtx 2050 to supertech 1540 in my fire breathing Harley and lost like 10 degrees in temp. The reusable filter had a lot less [censored] on the magnets and motor had the same oil pressure.

It also goes in the boats and iron engines.

Imo, 1540 is the most worry free oil on my shelf. I see more differences in car oils on this site then hdeos

And wouldn't that be because gasoline motors far exceed the numbers of diesels, at least in the N. American market?

But there is just as much argument, disagreement, and differences. Diesel OEM's are factory filling with 10w30. All of the major oil companies are offering 5w30, 10w30, 5w40, 15w40, and 20w50 HDEO's. Chevron broadened things a little with the 15w30, but except for a niche market, I don't see it being a serious contender in volume sales. They are even targeting that product to local P&D operations. But so many end users have been on the 15w40 bandwagon for so long, that they don't even consider any other grades. And most of those folks are on the thicker is better kick, as evidenced that they love to dump that Lucas Oil Stabilizer stuff in. So much so, that I have to specify, each time, that my preferred shop that does my semi truck oil changes keep that Lucas snot away from my motor. So many others want the Lucas that it is almost a standard thing for the shop to dump it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back