H11 and HB3 Bulbs - HIR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Not that I need any now, but what are the recommendations for H11 and HB3 bulbs? Since I have two cars that take the same bulbs, Im good with keeping my eyes out for deals or doing some experimentation...

Thanks!

If you want bright drop in's with no work some of the brightest available are Phillips X-treme Vision. GE Nighthawk Platinum is a close second.

If the bulbs are easy to get to you can use a H9 in place of an H11. The H9 has more output with a shorter rated life. Other than that they have the same filament precision. If the housings are a pain in the rear to disassemble i would prefer the longest life bulb available though.

For the HB3/9005, you can get the Phillips X-treme Vision also, or if you want the brightest upgrade, you can get a Phillips HIR1 9011 and do the small tab trim so it fits and you will have the best option available. I have the HIR1 9011 in my brights in my Buick they are nice.

But an H9 is a 65W bulb (at 12.8V) vs 55W. That means that at more reasonable voltages, the H9 dissipates a ton more heat, like 80W. That may equal long term housing deterioration.

Also, FYI my high beams are used as DRLs in our van.

How I wish HID was drop in to halogen projectors.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

It is! (just not the correct way to do it...)

I'm wondering the brand of your OEM bulbs. My 2009 Ridgeline has the OEM bulbs still, and they're Koito (made in Japan). I find them to be very bright and, for perhaps the first time in my life, I'm not itching to install something else.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
But an H9 is a 65W bulb (at 12.8V) vs 55W. That means that at more reasonable voltages, the H9 dissipates a ton more heat, like 80W. That may equal long term housing deterioration.

Also, FYI my high beams are used as DRLs in our van.

HID drops in halogen projector will not work properly, it generates a lot of glare for oncoming traffic. If you like to install HID in your Accord you need to get HID projectors, it is a lot of works.

For now, you may like to try swapping out H11 to H9(with some modifications to mounting plug), it will take about 4-5 minutes for swap 2 low beam bulbs. With H9 bulb you don't need to adjust anything, it just gives a little brighter/whiter light.

I have some Made in Germany Osram H9 bulbs I bought for my daughter 2014 Accord, I will ship to you free of charge for you to try on your new Accord(as a welcome gift), PM your address I will ship as soon as I received your PM.

If after some use of H9 and you are still not satisfy with brightness then start thinking about retrofit HID, but do it correctly i.e., quality HID projectors, ballasts and bulbs.

I swapped H9s into my Camry's projectors, but back-glare from reflective road signs was too bright. The Camry had pretty strong "squirrel spotters" and these areas lit up above the cut-off are already pretty bright with standard bulbs -- they were really too bright with H9s, at least for me. So even the H9 trick's effectiveness will depend somewhat on the actual housing and optics.

If you Google image search for "squirrel spotters", you'll see what I mean. I don't know how strong they are in your vehicles.

I swapped Osram H9 in my daughter 2014 Accord projectors, they are okay with a little brighter than OEM H11.

Many Accord owners reported H9 are much brighter than OEM H11 but according to my eyes they are a little brighter, about 20-30%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back