OEM Nissan Filter OR ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought my first new car, 2015 Vera S (Base Model). Its basic and perfect, exactly what I want out of a commuter.

Anyway, should I stick to the OEM Nissan filters? I read that the ones with "91" printed on the bottom, are the good ones, and to avoid the other Nissan filters.

What are good alternatives to OEM or PureOne, using convential at 4500-5000 OiC?

I used to use PureOne filters extensively, but, I will just avoid the whole tear fiasco.

My dealer gave me $25 towards parts/service on the One-to-One program when I bought the Frontier. I went and redeemed that for 3 oil filters. I think the Nissan filters are overpriced so I'll buy something else when it's time for the 20k mile oil and filter change. The mid-range Fram, Wix/Napa Gold are likely candidates.

I am using a Napa Gold Wix on my '14 Note. Good performance and works.

....BUT these are "economy" cars, one of the cheapest cars out there, so how to justify a Napa Gold, or even synthetic oil?

Fram Ultra or Microgreen oil filters are the best for filtering ability performance.
Second tier would be Fram ToughGuard, Mobil1 Ext Perf, NapaGold, Wix
Third tier pretty much any paper-only media filter.

I vote for using OEM Nissan oil filters during the break-in period or at least 15,000+ miles. Nissan filters are very good filters and are fairly priced. If there is ANY engine issues during the warranty period, that will be one less possible point of discussion. Ed

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL

....BUT these are "economy" cars, one of the cheapest cars out there, so how to justify a Napa Gold, or even synthetic oil?

That way are cheap investments will be running forever!

I think buying filters from the dealer will help show i've been changing my own oil.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL

Spending $12k on a car does not make it disposable, or unworthy of good oil. I'd love to have an extra $12k to throw around.

I agree with you that purchasing the filters at the dealership helps to prove your own work. Keep receipts too
smile.gif

Aren't OEM Nisan filters Chinese now? For that reason alone, go aftermarket, as the Fram and Purolators are made in the US, and Wix might come from Mexico if not the US.

Purolator probably fixed the tears by now. To be safe, look for a 2015-made filter, fourth digit will be a G.If you're still not confident in the P1 yet, and you're near a Kmart, you can pick up the Purolator Synthetic
smile.gif

Reality check needed here. I have seen many many cars running well into the 250,000 + mile range with quick lube oil and no name filters when they are changed regularly. Just think brand name oil and filters should be even better.

Originally Posted By: DEEPfrom1
I used to use PureOne filters extensively, but, I will just avoid the whole tear fiasco.

What?! ... you don't want to play Russian Roulette?
grin.gif

I agree with an earlier post. For 5k just use any cheap filter. Makes sure you keep your air filter and its casing sealed tight and all.

I know that cheap filters will do fine, but this is a rather boring car. So, my fun is in the details !

I know that cheap filters will do fine, but this is a rather boring car. So, my fun is in the details !

I think your car is fine and capable of lasting as long as most other cars. Its a well established car, there are many economy cars knocking down over 200k and going these days one of my cars a mazda 2 is an economy care and i expect it to last well over 200k. Already about half way there. We had a scion Xa that was around 150k and probably ready to double that before it got crunched,

Just bought my first new car, 2015 Vera S (Base Model). Its basic and perfect, exactly what I want out of a commuter.

Anyway, should I stick to the OEM Nissan filters? I read that the ones with "91" printed on the bottom, are the good ones, and to avoid the other Nissan filters.

What are good alternatives to OEM or PureOne, using convential at 4500-5000 OiC?

Congratulations on your purchase!

The Versas use Purolator 14612 and there is no documented evidence of torn media for the 14612. It may be largely due to how short the filter is. I wouldn't be too concerned with using Purolators for your Versa.

I would not recommend the FRAM Ultra unless you intend to use it for a minimum of 10k, otherwise, you are just throwing money away. There are cheaper alternatives that will be more than adequate.

If you are uncomfortable with using Purolator, a good alternative would be the NAPA Silver.

Good luck and enjoy your new car.

Originally Posted By: sir1900

Congratulations on your purchase!

The Versas use Purolator 14612 and there is no documented evidence of torn media for the 14612. It may be largely due to how short the filter is. I wouldn't be too concerned with using Purolators for your Versa.

I would not recommend the FRAM Ultra unless you intend to use it for a minimum of 10k, otherwise, you are just throwing money away. There are cheaper alternatives that will be more than adequate.

If you are uncomfortable with using Purolator, a good alternative would be the NAPA Silver.

Good luck and enjoy your new car.

Ive had success l4612 so i can support what is said here regarding that paticular filter.
Also i agree theres no sense buying and using a fu or any other extended drain quality filter unless you intend to actually extend your oci. I really like motorcraft myself. I ts very well made imo. Ive run them to 10k without noticable problems.
You could also do as i do and change your filters seperate from your oci. That way if you wanna use the fu or one of the other high quality filters you can get all the use out of it you can.

The best built low to mid price filters I have seen for the Nissan applications are Wix and the OEM filter.
The Nissan filters are made in Mexico, but the ones I have cut open looked well made.

If price were no concern, Amsoil and Fram Ultra make nice high end filters.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Aren't OEM Nisan filters Chinese now? For that reason alone, go aftermarket, as the Fram and Purolators are made in the US, and Wix might come from Mexico if not the US.

The filter that came on my engine from the factory was made in China. The ones purchased over the dealer parts counter were made in Mexico. Cutting open the Chinese filter gave no surprises good or bad.

The last OEM Nissan filters I purchased here in VA were heavy and made in Japan. I'd buy those in a heart beat....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back