Need recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to pick up a tub of wheel bearing grease today, but there are no auto parts stores on my way home. There are, however, a Menards and a Wally World. The only thing Menards has in a tub is Lucas X-TRA Heavy Duty grease. I'm not very well acquainted with the stuff Walmart has, but remember it has to be a tub. I have to repack the hub bearings in my truck tonight. Going to an actual parts store for a tub of Synpower isn't a terrible hardship, but if Menards or Wally has something almost as good...

I've purchased Mystik JT-6 High-Temp at wally world previously. Not for bearings, but I believe it's good for that application and fairly well regarded. I've read that they stopped carring the Mystik stuff and have the same Lucas xtra heavy duty.

1. Make sure the grease you choose is NLGI certified as GC/LB. If it is, it will have the NLGI certification label on the tube or tub. 2. Many of us will not use a grease with Moly additive in either wheel bearings or universal joints for various reasons we find valid. However, make up your own mind. There are various greases available that are GC/LB certified that contain Moly. 3. The two greases I find outstanding for your application are Chevron Delo L/C #2 and Mystik JT-6 Hi-Temp L/C #2. Both are GC/LB certified by the NLGI and neither contains moly.

When I got to my vehicle after work, I remembered that I had to return my old starter to the parts store for the core charge, so I got Synpower. The MSDS says it contains 2.5% moly. <5% is generally considered acceptable for wheel bearings, correct?

Why would you assume there is an acceptable <% rating on a premium Moly for bearings? Just curious...

Because I read it on the Interwebnets, so it must be true!

In all seriousness, most of what I've read on here seems to indicate <3% moly is OK for wheel bearings, and to avoid the stuff with 5% (or more).

Moly as in MoS2 in rolling element bearings all comes down to platelet size, unless it's the soluble Moly that Redline use in their CV2 grease.

eg. CAT branded grease is claimed in their TDS to be fine for rolling element bearings, and it contains 5% MoS2.

re uni's, I've used 3-5% MS2 fortified greases for over thirty years (Castrol LMM for a long time, and CAT Desert Gold for the last five years) and had excellent life with universal joints, but we've had members here claim over the years they've destroyed uni's using an MoS2 fortified grease.

From the published info Caterpillar have put out, it sounds like too large a platelet size is often to blame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back