RP HPS 5w30 VOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the VOA i promised of the RP HPS 5w30. Bottle wash shaken well before I took a sample. This oil looks stout.

A healthy dose of Calcium, and plenty of Zink and Phos. Does anyone know if this moly would be Trinuclear?

Enjoy!

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I'd use RP HPS in a heartbeat if I still had my connection.

it can be had cheap when pepboys has sales. Right now you can get 30% off by ordering online. That makes it $7 a qt.

I purchased this from pepboys last month during their 35% off online sale. It's a stout oil for $6.50 a Qt.

I got spoiled buying RP for $40 per 12 quart case
smile.gif

Look really good.. Pep Boys where I am at has it but its not the HPS version. This may be a foolish question.. But, since it only meets API SL than would it could this pose a problem with a car specd for API SM?? And yes I read on the label it is not officially licensed by the API for SL really either..Now my car does NOT burn any oil at through 6500 miles. I know this is a big help due to it not fouling up the cat.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Look really good.. Pep Boys where I am at has it but its not the HPS version. This may be a foolish question.. But, since it only meets API SL than would it could this pose a problem with a car specd for API SM?? And yes I read on the label it is not officially licensed by the API for SL really either..Now my car does NOT burn any oil at through 6500 miles. I know this is a big help due to it not fouling up the cat.

RP claims it is cat safe. SL is only one spec older than SM. I don't think you would have a problem. Im Going to run it in my 08 that was originally spec'd SM.

You can get the HPS version online. They run promo sales often. usually 25-35% off any online orders over $50-60.

I wouldn't pay full price for the oil, personally.

Last edited:
Yeah I pretty much agree with you on that
smile.gif

Really only difference is formulations between SL and SM. And SL likely allowed for higher amounts of antiwear additives. The Synerlec in this version of RP is very good from all that I've read about it
smile.gif

Yeah buying it online is the way to go for sure.

Originally Posted By: bbhero

I don't know how they can call it an SL oil. The limit for Phosphorous content in SJ and SL is 1000ppm, and Blackstone measured 1096ppm on this stuff.

Last edited:
HPS doesn't really have any API rating. The old API line was SL, but they jumped to SN, and the HPS has no API markings. It looks from VOAs and UOAs that it might be a little more stout in AW compounds than the older API SL line.

Originally Posted By: Garak
HPS doesn't really have any API rating. The old API line was SL, but they jumped to SN, and the HPS has no API markings. It looks from VOAs and UOAs that it might be a little more stout in AW compounds than the older API SL line.

Garak, do you see any issue with running this oil in An SM application that does not use much oil? According to RP it is cat safe in mechanically sound vehicles. would you agree?

With the 5w-30 as shown here, I wouldn't worry. That's no more phosphorus than a modern HDEO, and I'm using that in my G37 which calls for SM. If it were me, I'd be fine with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back