GoodYear Eagle RS-A2

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
Eagle_RS_A2_840.jpg

These are the OEM tires on the Charger SRT-8.

A few initial observations:
1. They are loud.
2. They make a lot of noise (squeal) when they break free, something that is very easy to accomplish.
3. They ride well enough

On wet roads they stick well enough but are not as resistant to hydroplaning as my benchmark, the Michelin Pilot Super Sport. Dry traction is, as expected, much less than the benchmark tire.

Basically, these are decent as an A/S tire but they are also louder and less sticky than the Michelin Pilot A/S3's I have on the 2006, which are also an all season, and their performance pales in comparison to my benchmark dedicated summer rubber, the Michelin Pilot Super Sport.

This means that come next summer when I assume these will be dead, it will be getting some Pilot Super Sport rubber, which will be more up to the task of hooking up the 470lb-ft of torque the big HEMI makes.

I find it hard to believe that these tires will be dead by this time next year. Short of a lot of track time, Id say to do so would mean some highly irresponsible and illegal driving...

So lets just say for the sake of argument that youll be tired of these tires by next year this time....

And what id say is to either buy some PSS now to enjoy them for the rest of the warm months (immediately now may not be the best as it doesnt seem that Michelin has a $70 rebate this instant), or suffer through, and then when Michein has a deal in February or so, make the jump...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I find it hard to believe that these tires will be dead by this time next year. Short of a lot of track time, Id say to do so would mean some highly irresponsible and illegal driving...

So lets just say for the sake of argument that youll be tired of these tires by next year this time....

And what id say is to either buy some PSS now to enjoy them for the rest of the warm months (immediately now may not be the best as it doesnt seem that Michelin has a $70 rebate this instant), or suffer through, and then when Michein has a deal in February or so, make the jump...

I'm tired of them now, LOL! Just can't justify spending the money
grin.gif

Looks like their old Eagle ResponsEdge tire. Same tread pattern anyways. I wonder why they did that, renaming it and all.

I already said he should craigslist/tradein those tires

If you can justify buying a new car you can justify new tires.

"Honey think how much safer I'll be with more traction"

smile.gif

Then again in Canada tires cost alot more... and I'm sure the stock size on the SRT-8 is even pricier

And the Goodyear RSA were some of the most miserable OEM tires out there.. The non-oem sizes were quite abit better though.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
I can't believe they are still using the RSA name. Those tires have never been good.

I agree. They should drop RSA long time ago. It is barely better than Integrity which is about the same quality as cheapest no name Chinese tire.

Personally, I avoid GoodYear tire, I rather have second tier brands such as Kumho, Falken, Sumitomo ...

Originally Posted By: Rand

Im not sure about that. Snow tires? Yes. Perfectly good regular tires when you just spent $vw,yyz.99 for a brand new car might be pushing it a bit to me...

So then it is all in how good of a CL deal one can get.

Im not sure about that. Snow tires? Yes. Perfectly good regular tires when you just spent $vw,yyz.99 for a brand new car might be pushing it a bit to me...

My wife would shoot me. She'd just tell me to "slow down and deal with it" LOL!! So yeah, I will have to live with these until they are no longer fit to use. Not sure how hard this car will be on tires, that's why I said next year. They may surprise me and last longer however
smirk.gif

This car won't see snow or snow tires, it will hibernate when the snow gets close and the threat of road salt exists.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

My wife would shoot me. She'd just tell me to "slow down and deal with it" LOL!! So yeah, I will have to live with these until they are no longer fit to use. Not sure how hard this car will be on tires, that's why I said next year. They may surprise me and last longer however
smirk.gif

This car won't see snow or snow tires, it will hibernate when the snow gets close and the threat of road salt exists.

In that case then yes, I would wait and get the freshest possible Pilot Super Sports when you are actually going to be using them.

Believe me when I say those RSA2's are not long life tires but they will live much much longer than you will want them to.

OTOH there is no reason to do anything now unless you were trying to trade in your oem tires in nearly new condition.

That center rib design looks very similar to the bridgestone dueler h/l alenza.

I wonder if the SRT guys might actually pick a tire that's noisy to give the driver some warning that they have exceeded the limits of grip!
I suppose the 06 has smaller rims, otherwise I'd just switch the tires.

The original RS-As were worse, but I'd still take them over the LS-2s. Basically, most all OE tires are rubbish -- even those you'd expect to be good.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
I wonder if the SRT guys might actually pick a tire that's noisy to give the driver some warning that they have exceeded the limits of grip!
I suppose the 06 has smaller rims, otherwise I'd just switch the tires.

Yeah, this car has 20's, it has 18's or 19's IIRC. Wife would also kill me for stealing her tires (which she loves), LOL!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
I can't believe they are still using the RSA name. Those tires have never been good.

My car came with them, too. IMO they were lousy in the rain, lousy in the dry, and they only lasted 22k miles. Really bad. I never even knew what body roll was until I got better tires!

Overkill knows what to save for. We all love our Pilots in whatever flavor...

So even the wife is telling me to replace these now, LOL!!! I just can't justify spending the money when these still have so much tread on them.....
21.gif

I can't speak for performance tires, but I have been using Goodyear tires on my work trucks over the past 9 years and they SUCK.

Not good in the rain, snow, mud, and barely adequate in dry when new...even worse when they got ~50% wear.

I say get new tires and sell the Goodyears used on Craigslist or something...surely there is someone out there who thinks they are "good".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back