which shotgun shell is best 4 drone hunt

Status
Not open for further replies.
with all the press about drones and people taking them out.
I am curious, which shotgun shell would be your go to ammo for the zombie drone attack?

I vote for 4 or 5 shot 12 guage

Wouldn't take much. 7 or 8 shot trap loads would do. Then you would need a 30.06 with a scope to take out the guy controlling it.

Bird shot. The slightest hit by just a pellet or two is enough to unbalance the drone and send it crashing out of control.

Their balance is delicate and precise with little margin for error. The "system" flies the drone. The operator just gives directions. Without the "system" 99% of the people flying the drones would be doing something else.

The drones I make are fully manually operated. No self-flying. Bird shot would not bring mine down, yes it would upset it for a few seconds until I regained control, but would survive. If the drone your hunting is the standard DJI (white with built in lights) then yes, the shot your speaking of would bring it down if hovering low enough.

What kind of drone? I would think it would blow it apart and you would never regain control.

Anything you'd use for trap shooting.
A .22 rifle would probably be fun and challenging, kind of like shooting squirels.

Be advised most of these "shoot downs" are taking place inside city limits. Most all municipalities have laws against discharging firearms, or even air rifles, within city limits. Is it worth losing your weapon, and going to jail for?

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Bird shot. The slightest hit by just a pellet or two is enough to unbalance the drone and send it crashing out of control.

Their balance is delicate and precise with little margin for error. The "system" flies the drone. The operator just gives directions. Without the "system" 99% of the people flying the drones would be doing something else.

Anythings possible I guess?
Gosh,,, I didnt know it was the "system" that flew the drones for me, whatever will I do if the "system" fails????
-Insert screaming and waving hands here-

Originally Posted By: Propflux01
The drones I make are fully manually operated. No self-flying. Bird shot would not bring mine down, yes it would upset it for a few seconds until I regained control, but would survive. If the drone your hunting is the standard DJI (white with built in lights) then yes, the shot your speaking of would bring it down if hovering low enough.

So on yours, you have 100% control of the individual propeller speeds and directions? How is the radio control set up?

Originally Posted By: CT8
I see the beginning of a whole new sport taking place.
Will nailing one on the ground count for a kill?

your saying a direct hit with a full choke and 7.5 would not take one out?

Sounds like we have an aircraft and pilot volunteer. Do we have a shooter?

Originally Posted By: billt460
Be advised most of these "shoot downs" are taking place inside city limits. Most all municipalities have laws against discharging firearms, or even air rifles, within city limits. Is it worth losing your weapon, and going to jail for?
Fly around bedroom windows with impunity, is that what you want? It's a good jury case. We don't have a "discharge in compact area" ordinance here, in fact an attempt to regulate target ranges out of business was just defeated.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Joe_Power
3" Double 00 Buck

I wouldn't in a populated area simply because the pellets will fall to the ground and cause unintended property damage and or injury.

I think a good hit with any pellet might do it. I don't know much about drones, but are they flown line of sight? Does the operator know where it is if he loses visual contact? how does he get it back if he loses visual.

I'd worry about laws in your area with regards to guns. But i envision a beefed up ( think robot wars) drone designed to collide and survive. Hit the offending drone and knock it down. Would the owner even know where it was or what happened? Are drones with cameras only looking down, not up or laterally?
Use a cardboard figure of a girl sunbathing, on your back lawn, when the drone moves in , you hit it with your robo drone from above and take it out. Something to think about.

Last edited:
It's better to just hack it or jam the RF to make it succumb to good ole gravity. All the stuff is available open source and with pretty good range usually 5 times that of the operator. I've witnessed two really nice ones come down.

On private property below the roofline of your home is OUTSIDE THE JURISDICTION of the FAA completely. they have no lawful authority to dictate anything for this airspace/property no matter what your flying or why your flying it.

technically (it varies place to place) once you go more than a few feet above the highest object on the property your in “regulated airspace” in most of the united states.

The FAA has jurisdiction, and what would they do if the Drone owner filed suit after you shot down his lawful drone in FAA space?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back