help picking new cassette gearing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2011 sirrus with ton's of miles on it. Chain and rear cassette have to be replaced at this point.
factory gearing is
48 x 38 x 28T front
11,13,15,18,21,24,28,32 rear cogs

What 8 speed cassette should I use for closer gearing with last gear being a tall one 32 or 34 a little more evenly spaced out gears. or where can I get a custom cassette? or should I just change to a regular 11-25 road cassette?

Are you a racer, or just off recreational? Road or off road?

How did this worn out cassette feel to you? did you like the gearing jumps, or did they feel too big, or too small?

On my road bike I changed mine so as to get closer gearing, and was happy with that. For an off road bike I would probably keep the wider range of gearing.

Ultimately t is whatever you want, your legs after all.

Road recreational use. I wanna speed it up a little. I use it for small charity rides and touring when I am not in the mood for a racing bike and cycling shoes.

With your chain rings I like to run a steeper cassette (11-34T usually) for more aggressive gearing. Are you looking for more or less gear inches? I find it hard to believe you are topping out your cadence with a 48T big ring on recreational rides... Possible but are you sure you're maintaining a good pedal cadence?

Anyways, not a ton of options, most cassettes will have an 11T small ring and between 28T-34T large. If you need to step outside those ranges look at replacing one of more chainrings.

I'd keep the large rear cog then, for a fun/touring bike. I like having a low low gear for the odd super steep climb, or when I'm gassed...

How much range can you tolerate in your cadence? I was normally an 80 rpm rider, but would vary the cadence down to as low as 70 or up to 85 to overcome the deficiencies of the 10-speed gearset I was working with. I really like riding with a tachometer on the crank.

My other bike it a rocketship by comparison it's gearing is

26-36-48T front

12-13-14-15-17-19-21-23-25

I love this combo. always enough gear plenty of range

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back