Buying tires on Amazon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone done this? My Acura TL needs its factory tires replaced. I am looking at Michelin Premiers which are pretty expensive. The other day while searching on Amazon, I saw that the ones in my size were available on Amazon, sold by the Pep Boys. (and I didn't even know they were co-branding with Amazon. ) The price was a good $40 a tire less than Tire Rack, and much less than I had seen them anywhere else. I didn't pull the trigger because I am waiting for the next credit card cycle. Well, guess what, I went back on Amazon a few days later, and there's no mention of such a deal. What gives, do you think?

Amazon deals come and go. TireRack.com has been my go-to.
One thing to watch out for if "new" tires are really cheap is their manufacture date. They say rubber over, what is it, 2 years old or something like that, shouldn't be going on your car. TireRack and others say 5 years from the date of manufacture and the tires are "expired", so its best to get new stock only.
Just saying that because sometimes its old stock over-stock you could be buying for cheap. Tire manufacture dates are stamped on them.

Amazon pricing can and frequently does change in flash. If there's a deal, lower price, there's no guarantee it won't be gone the next time you check.

Discount Tire Direct pricing includes the shipping costs. Next promo sale rebates with likely be around labor day. Best discounts are generally to had during those promo periods, especially if tire manufacturer also offering a rebate.

Discount Tire Direct on/at ebay will offer promo pricing too from time to time. $100 off a set of tires $400+ has been found there in the past.

My buying strategy is getting the lowest price online with shipping included, then go to local Discount Tire/America's Tire to have price match. This way I have lowest price possible and good customer services from a local store includes free balance/rotation, flat repair and tread life warranty if needed.

I bought a set of GY's that were on sale on Amazon. Free shipping with prime. WalMart had the same sale, but shipping was extra. UPS put them next to the garage door. You have to be quick, sales come and go.

Try the pep Boys website. I believe there's something like $30 for purchases over $100 besides any sale prices. I just bought tri-fold ramps from them.

Doesn't seem worth it when there's Tire Rack, Discount, local/regional tire shops, and Walmart.

Amazon is to tires as Google is to social networks

One of the potential issues with going mail-order for tires is, unless you can mount, stem and balance them yourself, you're still paying ~$15+ per tire to have this done for you. Another problem I've run into is shops refusing to mount carry-in tires that are new. They'll do used ones though. Ridiculous IMO.

OP,

You talked about Tire Rack, but have you compared the Amazon price to other retailers? I've never found TR to have good prices, just a huge selection.

There are other retailers like Discount Tire Direct, Tire Buyer, Tread Depot and several others that can often beat tire rack. That's especially true for DTD.

I've personally never seen Amazon have a better price on a tire I was interested in than the other places I shop.

Thanks everyone for replies. I have been buying tires from Tire Rack for many years. The price quoted on Amazon was $40 a tire less than Discount Tire Direct and Tire Rack which both had the same price.

bought twice from DTD, fast and easy. believe they price match as well. also, they have brick and motor stores so if you need service/warranty.

If you have Amazon Prime, and you find a good deal and a newish model of tire, I see no reason not to order.

just use TireRack's installer search.

Never brought from Amazon before but Discount tire direct and ebay is a good place to shop if you know what you're looking for. Free shipping and no tax for most states. I was able to get a set of Cooper RS3-As shipped to my door for half the price compared to it's competitors. Brought them to my indy mechanic to mount and balance.

Tire rack is super expensive IMO. They sometimes may have great deals on tires(esp. Sumitomos, Fuzion or other lower end brands), but with shipping like $15 a tire plus tax, I'll just go buy tires from Walmart so I don't need to wait a week for shipping.

I usually use DTD, but I recently bought a set from Amazon. The price was right and free, fast shipping. The tires I got were fresh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back