GMC Terrain Reviews?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everybody - my wife and I just recently purcahsed a 2015 GMC Terrain 4 cylinder with AWD. So far we are really liking this vehicle but I was wondering what reviews people have on this vehicle in terms of maintenance, relibability etc?

I owned a 2011, it was a great car, I didn't have any problems with it. Rode nice, silent like a bank vault inside, and it had a lot of nice little features. I also liked the size, it was big enough but not too big or too small. Mine was a 2WD 3.0 SLE-2.

I have a 13 Equinox, same drivetrain or does yours have the 2.5?. Just hit 30,000. No issuses to speak of.

The only thing I do is change the oil every 4,000 miles because of the DI. We really like it.

Does that have the same 2.4 4 cylinder as the 2010s? I wonder if they fixed the timing chain issues and oil consumption issues by now. My sister in law had a 2010 and it was plagued with those issues. It went back to the dealer many times. She traded it at about 100k with the engine rattling like a coffee can full of bolts. Some internet searching revealed that those were common issues with that engine and GM issued TSBs for them if I remember correctly.

What is it with some GM engines and timing chains? I guess they had trouble metallurgically processing the surface hardness, a quality control issue for a while, likely that.

As for engines in Equinox/Terrains:

EF6L1Vw.jpg

Looks the 4-cylinder changed, but really it did not. The LEA is an E85 (mo' alcohol capable version) variant of the LAF, that's all, not much going on there, just flex fuel.

That 2.4L four cylinder has some stellar highway EPA fuel economy ratings at 32 MPG, fantastic for a biggish boxy SUV (2wd form is best here). If you get the rocket ship 3.6L 300 hp V6 option, your highway MPG drops to 24 MPG (down from the 4's 32 MPG), which is weird because other GM cars in the same weight class respond better to a 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder comparison:
nWFwDkb.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GMC_Terrain and fueleconomy.gov

Originally Posted By: ExMachina
What is it with some GM engines and timing chains? I guess they had trouble metallurgically processing the surface hardness, a quality control issue for a while, likely that.

EF6L1Vw.jpg

Looks the 4-cylinder changed, but really it did not. The LEA is an E85 (mo' alcohol capable version) variant of the LAF, that's all, not much going on there, just flex fuel.

That 2.4L four cylinder has some stellar highway EPA fuel economy ratings at 32 MPG, fantastic for a biggish boxy SUV (2wd form is best here). If you get the rocket ship 3.6L 300 hp V6 option, your highway MPG drops to 24 MPG (down from the 4's 32 MPG), which is weird because other GM cars in the same weight class respond better to a 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder comparison:
nWFwDkb.jpg

I am a tech at a GM dealer. The 2010's and some 2011's have issues with timing chains, DI fuel pumps and piston and rings with poor sealing... burning oil and making the chain noise/wear issue worse.
If the pistons are replaced along with the chains and DI fuel pump the issues are fixed - most (if not all ) are covered by a service campaign which is fixed free for the customer (Similar to a recall, but on the manufacturer honor system ).

My wife has a 2010 Equinox with the issue and went from a qt or better in 1000 miles to not needing any oil in 4000 miles at least.

As far as the chain issue for 2.4L and 3.0/3.6L IMHO and experience it boils down to GM just buying the cheapest junk they can source and then backpedaling when it starts to fail...!! Saab has used a version of this same engine - with a turbo as well and they do not have hardly any timing chain issues with that engine !

BurrWinder

EF6L1Vw.jpg

nWFwDkb.jpg

Interesting, I would hope in 5 years that they would have corrected that issue? If not I would assume that would be covered under the 100k/10 year powertrain warranty as it is a known issue. So far we love the car. The 2.4 has enough power for us and the gas mileage has been pretty good so far. Thanks guys!

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher

EF6L1Vw.jpg

nWFwDkb.jpg

Interesting, I would hope in 5 years that they would have corrected that issue? If not I would assume that would be covered under the 100k/10 year powertrain warranty as it is a known issue. So far we love the car. The 2.4 has enough power for us and the gas mileage has been pretty good so far. Thanks guys!

The INTERNALS did change... to the better, upgraded parts - away from the ones that were having issues in the 2010/11's... Did NOT mean an engine variant change....

BurrWinder

Since you live in Massachusetts, you're susceptible to the issue where the PCV system fills with water and freezes up overnight, blowing seals and causing all your oil to leak out. Sometimes it happens in the driveway, sometimes about a block from home, always on a cooold morning.

Originally Posted By: BurrWinder

EF6L1Vw.jpg

nWFwDkb.jpg

The INTERNALS did change... to the better, upgraded parts - away from the ones that were having issues in the 2010/11's... Did NOT mean an engine variant change....

BurrWinder

phew haha. Thanks for the information!

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
Since you live in Massachusetts, you're susceptible to the issue where the PCV system fills with water and freezes up overnight, blowing seals and causing all your oil to leak out. Sometimes it happens in the driveway, sometimes about a block from home, always on a cooold morning.

This is a new one to me. How would you prevent that?

This is a new one to me. How would you prevent that?

Park the car in a heated garage, move North, or buy from a quality automaker?

Congrats! Two posts in this thread that make zero sense. Do you own one of these vehicles?

Originally Posted By: dishdude

Congrats! Two posts in this thread that make zero sense. Do you own one of these vehicles?

Exactly. hit or miss sometimes with BITOG responses. I am not concerned of his "issues" with the suv. I love this thing!

Amazing how differently a vehicle can be perceived. When we test drove a 2.4 Terrain about 5 years ago, I found the ride choppy to the point of nausea. A narrow cabin didn't help.

The tranny liked to short shift on the way up, and then not quickly downshift when extra power was needed, unless floored. Overall the 2.4 felt underpowered.

I think it's a good vehicle for many, just not me.

Of course I don't own one! After working at a GM dealer, I know better!

Of course I don't own one! After working at a GM dealer, I know better!

I am sure we could find a person who hates Accords because they work at a Honda dealership.

The difference is, the Honda Accords with the oil burning issues got an extended warranty campaign and free repairs. With GM it's "hear no defect, see no defect, speak no defect".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back