My thoughts on Amsoil Dominator 2-stroke in gas

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have been experimenting (subjectively) with a few different products, Amsoil Interceptor, Dominator oils as well as "Lucas Upper Cylinder Lube". For the last 6 months I have driven a few tanks with each oil, with 3-4 tanks in between running straight gas. Vehicle: 2003 Honda CRV (2.4L K24 engine) Here are my findings, take it for what it's worth:

Lucas UCL (dosage rate: 400:1)

-Engine runs quieter (only on startup)
-No change in mileage, unless over the recommended dosage rate (also starts to run rough)
-Engine responsiveness seems unchanged
-Pain in the [censored] during winter as it becomes thick as tree sap and impossible to pour.

Amsoil Interceptor (dosage rate: ~450:1) TC-W3 oil

-Engine runs quieter (both colder starting and operating temps)
-No change in mileage (from instantaneous readout)
-Engine responsiveness seems to be improved

Amsoil Dominator 2-stroke oil (dosage rate: ~450:1) TC oil

-Engine runs smoothest on this oil
-No change in mileage (again, from instantaneous readout)
-Engine power and responsiveness really does seem to be improved

I really find that there is something in this oil that makes for better combustion as the vehicle really does seem to have better responsiveness and in particular improved torque over the entire RPM range.

if anyone has had experience with this oil in their vehicle, please post. Otherwise, give it a try and call me crazy, or agree with me...

Last edited:
I only premixed on one vehicle and that was a 2009 RX8 R3 with the Rotary engine. I used to add 4oz to every tank at fill-up.

I used yamalube 2R for a while, and AMSOIL dominator a couple of times before I sold the car. The rotary was always butter smooth, but my OPE runs better with the AMSOIL than the yamalube 2R oil.

Originally Posted By: John_Conrad
on a 4 cycle engine: seal primarily to keep combustion gases in top of chamber, but second to keep oil consumption down....

True, but the oil film also provides Upper Cylinder (ring/cylinder wall) lubrication.

I've used Dominator almost exclusively (couple pints of Redline when the Dominator supply dried up) for about 3,000 miles. This is a pretty severe duty cycle, seeing full throttle max RPM for miles at a time. Sparg plug stays clean, usually change out at about 1500 miles. No smoke that is visible at all. I think it's good stuff.

.....but that's in a 2-stroke. I've never tried it in a 4 stroke application
grin.gif

Last edited:
I thought that we were NOT supposed to use a non TCW3 2 stroke oil in a 4 stroke app, due to there being much more of a possibility of deposits/combustion solids, no??
(Or is the Dominator THAT clean burning, maybe even more so than even the best TCW3s?)

That seemed to be a steadfast/oft repeated 'rule' on here for those wishing to try the 2 stroke as a fuel additive route (of course the naysayers will say to NEVER use ANYTHING but pump gasoline in the tank of a gas engine vehicle).

I know, I always hear everyone saying TC-W3, never a TC oil. Interceptor oil has apparently double the amount of detergents as Dominator, which they say is focused on power valve deposits.

Please, TRY Dominator oil in your vehicle, tell me what you think, I want to know if I am just imagining this. Different vehicles will likely yield different results I am sure.

If I were able to dyno the car I would.

I've been working with Clevy on at least an 8 month experiment, using various dosing regimens on a 2001 Tahoe with 79k on it.

I've used the following:

a. TCW3 - 1 oz per 5 gallons, up to (on 1 tank) 15 oz dosing

b. TCW3 and Acetone mixed - roughly 1 oz per 5 gallons

c. 1 dosing of Amsoil Dominator - 1 oz per 5 gallons

After 8+ months, I've concluded that my Tahoe has not had any improvements in MPG (been hand calculating for months), nor any perceived improvements in the 'butt dyno'. What is happening internally, is obviously undetermined.

my suspicion is that the flame speed and combustion is being affected by the addition of the oil.....
confused.gif

i have been trying the tcw3 too in various concentrations and combinations and to date have not been able to increase my mpg. even though my commute is steady on the same route, there are many variables that affect mpg.

this summer it has been the wide swing in temps with the constant cold front and rains that have been occurring in the midwest to the heat wave we had for about 10 days.

i will continue looking at my mpg through the fall without any addy's and also in the winter with my winter oil.

for those that are seeing results, i applaud your efforts, keep posting so we may learn.

Last edited:
mjk, your dosage rate seems pretty low, around 650:1.. I would try a rate of just under 1.5 oz per gallon and go from there.

I have no idea WHY this would increase power to the point where I could perceive a difference, but it sure seems like it. I really play with the car when I am running with Dominator oil, the engine just seems to have less of a 'tinny' sound and has more of a healthy, well tuned engine.

greetings and thanks for sharing. i have really been interested in this subject for many years and thus begun my trials and joining this website.

i also notice the smoothness and quietness of the engine in my test mule with the addition of the oil base additives.

my thoughts and i share as an anecdote as i am not trained in this area but in the interest of learning, is that the oils are decreasing the ability of the flame and thus combustion in the chamber. i liken this with a wildfire that has plenty of dry fuel and will rage swiftly and quickly through such area, however a wildfire that is progressing through an area that has recently received rainfall, will proceed at a lower and slower rate albeit still burning.

so the smoothness in an engine with a lower and slower rate. however, i have not been able to gain any mpg which is my ultimate goal.

i will likely continue using additives that are not oily based. this is just me and i continue to look forward to hearing other's experiences as i tread these waters.

all supplied by the sump oil?, therefore negating the need for oil in the combustion chamber via the fuel mixture?

Yes, that was the implication.

Quote:
i will likely continue using additives that are not oily based. this is just me and i continue to look forward to hearing other's experiences as i tread these waters.

All fuel additives are mixed with a very thin "top oil," usually a naphthenic base oil. The reason is to reduce evaporation in production and storage, and to allow better mixing with the fuel.

Last edited:
thanks molakule for your help...

Can you tell me if Berrymans B-12 has the thin top oil you mention?

from the sds sheet i looked at it shows this;

Component CAS RN Weight
Toluene 108-88-3 40-50%
Acetone 67-64-1 20-25%
Methanol 67-56-1 20-25%
Methyl Ethyl Ketone 78-93-3 1-5%
2-Butoxyethanol 111-76-2 1-5%
2-Propanol 67-63-0 1-5%

As i mentioned i am not trained in any of the related fields, let alone chemistry.

thanks molakule for your help...

Can you tell me if Berrymans B-12 has the thin top oil you mention?

from the sds sheet i looked at it shows this;

Component CAS RN Weight
Toluene 108-88-3 40-50%
Acetone 67-64-1 20-25%
Methanol 67-56-1 20-25%
Methyl Ethyl Ketone 78-93-3 1-5%
2-Butoxyethanol 111-76-2 1-5%
2-Propanol 67-63-0 1-5%

As i mentioned i am not trained in any of the related fields, let alone chemistry.

Yes, but at an unreportable concentration. The above are various solvents and includes three alcohols and two ketones.

thank's,

i will likely just resume using this b12 on one interval and then a PEA cleaner on the next and so on as a maintenance for my vehicles every 3k miles.

sorry for the temporary jack,,,, carry on!

my suspicion is that the flame speed and combustion is being affected by the addition of the oil...

Having the same thought. dose over 600:1 affected mileage, around 1000:1 not affected, but does it do something ?
Does quiet engine just are perception due to slower speed of combustion.

Last edited:
I'm using Dominator the engine seems more quite and slippery.

But I'm concerned about the cleaning power.

Interceptor clean very good.

I haven't missed a dose, over 30k on Citgo TCW-3..I figure it has to be reducing friction..have 11 four stroke engines all on 640:1 no issues.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back