POLL: Which HDDEO Grades would you like more of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been wondering... Assuming that the technology exists to create thinner viscosity grades for HDDEO, and that no sacrifice in engine durability would happen by switching to higher quality, low viscosity options which grades would you be interested in seeing more of?

Remember these are all diesel engine oils (so CJ-4/PC-11)

0W30
5W30
10W30
0W40
5W40
15W40

Vote away!

Given that HTHS is pretty well what provides protection (as evidenced by it's inclusion in J300 initially, and that the low pumping 40s were really 30s)...I'm not going to pick a "grade"

They should just be a cold pumping, and an HTHS range.

Let's call them 11A, and 11B

5w30 to replace 10w30 as the "go-to" lightweight HDDEO.
Not very opposed to 0w30 as an HDDEO. A 0W could save a lot of fuel for operators that idle their engines overnight, but that happens less and less these days. 0w30 would be a great help for reducing oil pressure delay in very large engines. I remember Cummins cold start tests on 15w40 showed that it could take as much as 2 minutes at idle before oil pressure stabilized at the furthest reaches of the oil system. Pre-lubers used to be very popular.

How about 10w40 to replace 15w40 as the "go-to" default HDDEO? Or maybe 10w40 isn't enough to move the needle significantly on fuel savings, so then 5w40 should become the default HDDEO grade.

Or maybe rate the HTHS of the oils according to what they shear to in heavy duty service. I'm not very concerned with putting a 3.5 HTHS oil in my engine, but am more concerned with it shearing to 2.9 by the time I drain it. Is the current Orbahn test severe enough to predict shear in the field?

Last edited:
10w60
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Solarent
... Assuming ..... that no sacrifice in engine durability would happen ...

Then why would vis even matter? You've set a condition (no change in wear protection) that is already evident today in our lubes. 10w-30 protects every bit as well as 15w-40, yet personal preference for "thicker protects better" still exists despite all evidence to the contrary.

I vote for the one that costs the least, because if your conditional statement is true, then why would I use vis as a decision point when cost is likely to have more tangible effect in my life (effect on my ROI)?

Perhaps if you had allowed for a condition that would actually merit some consideration in terms of other criteria than "engine durability" (aka wear)? Thinner lubes can assist in uber-cold starts in compression ignition engines. But then, you'd have to admit that all the lubes are NOT the same, so then cost would not the be measurable, but rather the cold-crank performance. Then it would be an easy choice of finding a lube(s) that gave you the needed CC factor for your area, and only then selecting for cost after that criteria were met.

Typical BITOG topic ... you want to debate the merits of an input when the output is assured regardless of the variables. Why?
21.gif

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Then why would vis even matter? You've set a condition (no change in wear protection) that is already evident today in our lubes. 10w-30 protects every bit as well as 15w-40, yet personal preference for "thicker protects better" still exists despite all evidence to the contrary.

I really only put the no change in wear protection clause to avoid this being a thick vs thin debate in HDDEO.

I agree that despite mountains of evidence there remains an appetite for 15W40 when there are 10W30 and even some 5W30 HDDEO's that offer similar or better performance (depending on how that is defined). This is one of the reasons I put forward the poll.

You make a good point about cost being a determining factor, but if they all cost the same would you pick a lower visc grade? availability is also a factor, so in order for us to see more wide acceptance of the new technology (allowing lower visc grades) they would have to be more widely distributed over today's more common 15W40's and 10W30's.

On another note, the thinner grades tend to lean towards more synthetics which is not nearly as popular in HDDEO as in PCMO. Is the appetite growing for more synthetics in HDDEO? Even at an incrementally higher cost?

I'm really just curious to see how many of our BITOG friends would be willing to set aside our love of 15W40 for some of the newer and better options.

Well now all you're doing is taking out more variables and making more constants.

IF ...
wear control was the same,
AND ...
cost was the same,
Then I chose whichever one was closest to me in terms of driving distance.

Because vis is worthless as a topic if wear control is assured (which is closer to reality than most would care to admit).

I have said this for a LONG time. Why use a lube? To control wear. Some would say that they also control temps and contamination, etc. And I agree, but they ONLY are interesting in terms of wear control. If your engine could overheat, and not effect wear, why would it matter? If your engine could sludge up, and still not effect wear, why care? Lubes are used to control multiple inputs for a singular output; wear matters.
WEAR CONTROL IS PARAMOUNT, OVER ALL OTHER TOPICS.
Once wear control is assured, then the only other variable that matters is cost. You must first pick a lube that appropriately protects your equipment within your planned OCI. Then choose on least cost ROI.

I'll tag onto your thread and ask this ...

Would anyone here use a 50/50 mix of goat milk and bovine urine, if you could prove beyond every doubt that the mix would have the same wear control as 15w-40 HDEO, and be cost free at the local farmer's lot? I would!

You may think my example is ridiculous, but it proves my point.

1) either the assumption of assured wear control (output) is intact, and therefore vis (input variance) is meaningless
2) the assumption is flawed, and the debate is an exercise in futility

Two roads to the same destination.

I had originally intended this as a poll simply to gauge the appetite of the BITOG community on visc grades outside the normal go-to grades of 10W30 and 15W40.

But since you brought it up....

Wear control is very important. Deposit control, temperature control as you said can all affect wear in different ways. I think we are both agreed on that topic.

Choosing between viscosity grades is also one of the ways that the average consumer differentiates between products. This is because the assumption from the average joe is that a name brand oil should provide the necessary protection for an engine that falls under the spec of that oil. If it's a CJ-4 oil then all diesel engines in North America should be covered for wear protection.

And yet the oil marketers still see benefits in putting out different viscosity grades, each featuring different technologies that work to provide similar levels of protection. How the oil marketer gets to this level of protection is what differentiates the viscosity grades.

There are multiple kinds of wear, and each one is function of a different aspect of the lubricant. For fun, let's take a look at some and how the viscosity grade/product choices can have an impact on wear:

Adhesive Wear - this could include mild or severe adhesion right up to seizure of engine parts. This could be a function of welds between asperity contact, or it could be due to deposit build up or a host of other factors. This could be a function of the oil film thickness (hydrodynamic vs boundary) or it's make-up (ie the dispersancy of the base oil and additives). 15W40 oils are typically Group II based. Whereas a 5W40 is almost certainly Group III/PAO So by choosing a 5W40 viscosity grade you are likely choosing synthetic and it's perceived benefits vis a vis adhesive wear

Abrasive Wear - this could take the form of polishing, erosion, abrasion, and can result from asperity contact, foreign particles, wear metals, dust and dirt, not to mention the effect of pressure caused by load and the types/hardness of metals used in the engine. So how does viscosity affect this type of wear - well thinner oils require more robust additive chemistry which is going to react differently with the metals. So when an oil marketer puts out a 5W30 HDDEO, they need to make sure it has the support from the additive side to pick up where the difference between that and the go-to grade (15W40)

Fatigue - I think this is one of the most overlooked types of wear - contact fatigue which can be a result of cyclical elastic stress between components or Fretting/Brinneling which can have lots of causes but one of them is using too high viscosity or oil that easily oxidizes. Sometimes fatigue manifests below the surface and can result in cracking of the metal surface, this can interfere with the bearing deformation in elastohydrodynamic systems. In the search for engine oils that are more resistant to oxidation, as well as flexibility in matching the viscosity profile to operating conditions, marketers often move to Group III and PAO, which in turn enables more options for viscosity grades.

Corrosive Wear - this could take the form of pitting, spalling and even corrosive fretting. The thing about corrosive wear is that it is often a factor of the environment at the interacting surface. Temperatures can play a big role hear, as well as water/coolant contamination, engine-gas blow-by and additive chemistry. The multiple reactions that occur within an engine can cause all kinds of corrosive environments which is why oils have such a large TBN reserve. Viscosity grade choice can have big impacts on the environment by controlling temperatures and ensuring engine seals are working properly. Matching the needed viscosity grade to the engine design is why OEMs include it in the owners manual. this is why newer diesel engines are being designed to run on lower viscosity oils with factory fill now 10W30 across the board (which is still being drained out and filled with 15W40 in a lot of fleets).

So in addition to all these reasons why someone might be interested in choosing a different viscosity grade even though the overall wear protection results are equal.

"Once wear control is assured, then the only other variable that matters is cost. You must first pick a lube that appropriately protects your equipment within your planned OCI. Then choose on least cost ROI. "

As I've already shown, there are reasons to pick the lube that "appropriately protects your equipment" and still have a range of viscosity grade options. There is also the definition of COST and ROI which will differ from person to person. For example a fleet owner with a mix of gasoline and diesel engines may find an improved ROI from using a universal oil which is suitable for both. There is also a fuel economy benefit that could be calculated in, enabling longer OCIs, enabling more work or load from a piece of equipment, benefits from bulk purchasing or a lot of other factors that can fit into the ROI equation. Everyone is going to have different requirements and justify their decision accordingly. There are also intangibles that are very real to the consumers choice.

The way I see it, more viscosity grade options equals more ways to work out an individual ROI that makes sense. So when I put out a question asking which visc grade (wear protection being equal) you would like to see more of; I guess I'm really asking what technology options would you like to to have available that will enable you to better balance your cost/needs for your individual operations (fleets, on highway, off highway, performance diesel, etc etc etc.)?

I for one would like to see more flexibility in the market which gives an informed consumer the ability to choose the oil that is right for their own operation conditions, OCI length and how they define their ROI. And thankfully with PC-11 looming there are about to me a lot more options in HDDEO than ever before.

For my answer, I'd want to remove things like cost variance, shearing, and availability as issues, too. Up here, obviously a 0w-30 at a good price and good availability has its benefits. The only real problems I have with them (both from Petro-Canada and Imperial Oil) are the lack of builder approvals. All the builder approvals seem to be reserved for things like the Delvac 1 LE 5w-30 and Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40, while the 0w-30 and 0w-40 seem to suffer in that regard.

Solarent -

You're missing my point, or at least I think you are ...

Your original post basically stated that vis was the variable and all other things were constant (wear being the chief among them).

We don't need a condensed cliff-note storyline on wear. I fully and completely agree that the types wear you posted about are valid concerns. But none of that matters, because your initial thread post was "...no sacrifice in engine durability would happen ... That indicates that wear is unaffected in your scheme; all the types of wear are "same as" in your scenario. All the types wear you indicate combine into one wear rate factor. And I've not seen any data to show that a particular lube will greatly alter that overall effect. Your variable here (vis) is not proven to greatly effect any of those criteria within a reasonable application. Using a 10w-30 vs. a 15w-40 in a modern diesel has shown absolutely no wear rate shifts; none whatsoever. Look at the data in my normalcy article; I've got over 10,000 UOAs in my database; probably closer to 11k UOAs by now since I wrote the article.

Any lube that is within a reasonably acceptable range will offer the same wear results. 10w-30, 15w-40, 10w-40, etc. But what WILL be affected moreso is the fuel economy; less pumping losses with lighter grade lubes. And it's not just diesels; look at the vis in PCMOs. Same effect there.

I don't give a hoot about inputs; they are merely a means to an end. I don't care about what vis is present, which lube has more moly or less boron or too much calcium and not enough magnessium ... Those are all inputs to an equation. I care about the sum total result.

It is wholly and completely important to use a properly qualified lube for the application, but past that, the nuances are meaningless in terms of wear control because the products all achieve essentially the same thing, well past any sensible measure of how long people will operate their equipment.

Look over the PQIA site; you'll see lots of VOAs that show the inputs vary from brand to brand. Then look over the UOAs here and tell me you can find a reasonable statistical point of delineation between brands. I do SPQC data analysis for a living; I know exactly what I speak about here.

When wear rates are assured to be "same as", then I don't choose a lube on grade. I chose it on cost, regardless of brand. The only time I'm brand specific is not due to loyalty, but because I may be running UOA validation experiments (such as my current loads of Rotella 10w-30 TP).

Go back and read my UOA article, and pay specific attention to my UOA and that of the other BITOG member in our Dmax trucks. We both have essentially the same trucks used in very simiarl circumstances (distance, loads, routes, etc). I ran dino 10w-30 Rotella; he ran a premium brand syn 15w-40, and had BP filtration to boot! And yet the UOAs from both trucks were so freakishly "normal" in terms of wear rates that you would never be able to tell them apart. He had three "advantages" (syn PAO, thicker grade, BP filter). And yet NONE of those, even when combined, gave him any advantage in the wear rates over the applied duration.

I'm not trying to argue with you, nor be condescending. I'm trying to get you (and others) to realize that these type threads are goofy. Your fundamental question boils down to this:
Q: If the result is the same, what preference for inputs do you have?
A: I don't have one, and neither should you. Buy the cheapest one that affords the required level of performance and move on with life. Quit sweating the stuff; most all the time, it just doesn't freakin' matter.

Here's why these type threads bother me ...
They are boundless banter full of theory, and way short on proof.
You want to convince me? Prove it. Don't talk about it; go do it. Show me that your question actually can be proven in real time.
I've put up evidence in my article that show grades don't matter. I've run UOAs against others that prove grade does not matter.

I'll take the reality of real world results over the theoretical question of grades every single time.

Your initial basis isn't actually far off, but you're asking the wrong question.
It is very believable that wear is not affected by grades.
The question isn't "which grade would you choose" but rather "why would you care about grade in the first place"?

If the grade choices are capable of giving the same desired results, then the difference between grades do not matter.

Last edited:
I think Chevron made a statement rolling out a 15W30 Delo 400 last year. If we are looking for a 15W40 fuel economy replacement, that is a contender.

I believe that Dura-max and other automotive Diesels with an automatic transmission could pick up a few points in fuel economy with 15W20 and 10W20 group IIs.

It also depends on the driver. Quite often I will shift at the bottom of a hill, not waiting for the engine to lug down.
A slightly higher rpm and lower cylinder pressure, should allow for a slightly thinner oil.

A problem also exists with the DPF. I could blend myself a XW20 Diesel engine oil, but for piece of mind, the 1st try would be with an old school high SAPS high ZDDP additive package.
If oil consumption increased significantly with this type of a light weight engine oil, suddenly I'll have engine faults showing up on the dash.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think I'm missing your point - I think we are just talking about 2 different sides of the same coin.

Quote:
I'm not trying to argue with you, nor be condescending. I'm trying to get you (and others) to realize that these type threads are goofy. Your fundamental question boils down to this:
Q: If the result is the same, what preference for inputs do you have?
A: I don't have one, and neither should you. Buy the cheapest one that affords the required level of performance and move on with life. Quit sweating the stuff; most all the time, it just doesn't freakin' matter.

Here's why these type threads bother me ...
They are boundless banter full of theory, and way short on proof.
You want to convince me? Prove it. Don't talk about it; go do it. Show me that your question actually can be proven in real time.
I've put up evidence in my article that show grades don't matter. I've run UOAs against others that prove grade does not matter.

When it comes to wear, you are right: grades don't matter. But my reasoning is different then yours. All grades are formulated and tested using the same standards and so it doesn't matter if you are using a 5w30, 10W30 or 15W40 - they all are required to provide similar levels of wear protection. And on a UOA (or 11 000 of them) you will see that to be true. we can probably equate this difference to the fact that your background is in data analysis -- with a wide library of UOAs, and mine comes from the oil marketers perspective - developing and testing engine oil technologies and introducing them to the market.

Where the input does matter is for the rest of the ROI equation; looking at operating conditions, depending on choice of OCI length, desired fuel economy benefits and so on. My point is that the grades all have relevance on on selecting the best oil for your application. Price of the oil, availability also factor into the COST calculation of choosing an engine oil.

I fully support this approach:
Quote:
Make an informed decision: first consider your operating conditions, next determine your maintenance plan, and then pick your lube and filter. Don't do it the other way around

My original question was: Which grades would people like to see more of? The reasons behind why they want to see more of a specific grade is up to them.

I for one would like to see more options in the HD market. This would give me more opportunities to fine tune my oil selection based on a wholistic ROI calculation that starts with operating conditions and OCI length, and progresses through fuel economy benefits, universality so the oil can be suitable for multiple vehicles and provide me with the assurance that wear protection is provided regardless of what direction the other factors push me to viscosity wise.

Thankfully this thread hasn't digressed into pointless banter and endless theories with no proof. But it hasn't really given much discussion to HDDEO grades either. So we both lose.

The 10W30 HDMOs are available, but not marketed very well.
For example, I can walk into a Wal-Mart or Canadian Tire and find pails of 15W40 CJ-4/SM for under $60.00, but not 10W30.

The KV100 cut-off for SAE 30 at 12.5 is a little light. If it was 13.2 instead, the grade could be better represented in the HDMO market.

Raise SAE 20 to 9.8 and make SAE 16 a stand-alone grade.

I'm with you on the price point. As soon as 5W40 or 10W40 is mentioned, the price goes sky-high. If people want a 4-season engine oil, then they will have to pay the price.

Mono-grades and low-spread multi-grades like 15W30 and 20W40 are likely to thicken out of grade from soot loading and evaporation. They are un-likely to shear to the next grade lower.
For that reason I believe, the top-end above KV100 12.0 for HDMO XW30s are avoided, and the bottom end under 10.0 never used.
Give 9.3-9.8 to SAE20, and 12.5-13.2 to SAE30.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wonder what blackstone would think if I sent them 50/50 piggy and moomoo tinkle for analysis?

"Thanks for the note"..."inexplicably high in grain and earthen material".. "next time try 10k miles".....

Originally Posted By: Solarent
Where the input does matter is for the rest of the ROI equation; looking at operating conditions, depending on choice of OCI length, desired fuel economy benefits and so on. My point is that the grades all have relevance on on selecting the best oil for your application. Price of the oil, availability also factor into the COST calculation of choosing an engine oil.

I fully support this approach:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Make an informed decision: first consider your operating conditions, next determine your maintenance plan, and then pick your lube and filter. Don't do it the other way around

Then perhaps we are more aligned that apart.

I completely agree that ROI based upon fuel economy, cost of product, etc makes a big difference.

And in fact, if you go back to my first answer in the thread, I said that I'd buy the least expensive one, because when wear traits are assured (as is the typical case in the real world, as well as the premise of your question), then factors OTHER THAN wear are the deciding issue.

But VIS isn't the trait I care about. It is, after all, an INPUT and not a RESULT. You are still speaking about things from a perspective of inputs.

When I shop for a fluid, I consider this approach:
I need a lube that is API qualified for my application, will last the duration of my intended OCI, and is easily attained for the least cost while supporting the best ROI in operation. For any specific application, I then sort the wheat from the chaff. For my Dmax, I choose CJ-4 dino oil. The reason I use 10w-30 is not to save fuel, but to prove it's viability compared to the traditional "thicker" lubes. I cannot find a true tangible savings in fuel; my low annual mileage would never show any real disparity. However, large equipment companies (mining, OTR rigs, etc) can certainly make the tiny savings turn into big money.

Similarly, my two MGMs with 4.6L mod motors simply don't care about vis when it comes to wear, but it does matter likely in economy, but only with BIG jumps in vis ranges. It's proven that the mod motors can run as well on 10w-40 as 5w-20 in terms of wear, but the thinner grade is going to get you a better fuel result. However, the distinction is nearly unnoticeable if you're taking about the challenges between 5w-20 and 5w-30. And if you're in a warm climate, even a 10w-30 may be hard to distinguish from the thinner lubes. Singular vehicles operated with relatively low mileage (20k miles or less) are hard to quantify fuel rates, versus big industries that consume tens-o-thousands of gallons per year.

So maybe we are closer than I had thought, but I still perceive that you're hung up on the inputs, whereas I care more about the results. I first define what I need the fluid to do, then I go find one that works. I don't select a vis, and then worry about how it may or many not fit into my regime. I am not saying vis isn't important; it is. But it's not something to focus on, but rather to use as a means to get to the end. The end-goal should be a satisfactorily low wear rate combined with lowest cost operation.

If someone gave me cases of 10w-30 to run in my cars, at no cost, I'd use it because the loss in fuel economy would pale to the savings in free lube. But if the costs were near-identical for lube (such as ST 5w-20 versus 10w-30 at Wally's), then the fuel savings outweighs the lube cost differential. This is, quite literally, dependent upon each and every single variant you use to judge the ROI. Because I know the wear rates are unaffected by the lube grade, then COST is what I use to make my decision. Hence my very first post. ROI matters to me. But ROI is not a fixed asset; it's always changing as the inputs change. So I target the overall desired result by choosing inputs accordingly as they present themselves. The cost differential in lubes may or may not outweigh the fuel savings; it just depends.

Going back to quote myself in my first post here:
"I vote for the one that costs the least, because if your conditional statement is true, then why would I use vis as a decision point when cost is likely to have more tangible effect in my life (effect on my ROI)?
You see, you only held wear as a constant, but not other things. If your statement had indicated that both wear and something else were static, then I may have had a different answer. But typically, the savings for fuel (thinner lubes) is outweighed by the savings in lubes, when you find them on sale, rebated, etc. Sure, thinner lubes can save fuel; I agree. But that tiny fractional savings pales when I find a BOGOF sale, or steep rebate. So I choose on cost before vis, as long as the vis provides the required protection. Vis may save some money, but rebates save a larger percentage in overall ROI at times (but not always). Hence, my quote above; I vote for the one that costs the least, because if I assume that wear control is assured, and knowing that vis has little effect on my economy, then lube cost is the greatest variable to manage. However, if I put on BIG miles annually, that would probably invert and make the fuel economy more valuable than lube cost; perhaps vis would take top honors in that situation. But that's just not my operational pattern, so it does not matter.

And then there's the whole topic of cold starts. While we in the lower 48 really don't have a lot to worry about, there are places in MN, WI, Canada that do matter. So, vis would be more important to them that it is to me. But that is exactly my point; they need to manage to a desired result. They need to first pick a lube that successfully supports cold-starts for their area. Sure, vis is the input to that characteristic. But I would not pick a vis and then hope it works; I would define the result desired and then find a vis that supports the effect. If cold starts were the issue, and you could successfully use 0w-30, 0w-20, 5w-20 all in syn formulation, then the differences in grades don't matter (relative to the desired result). So then you pick the product that costs the least IN THAT APPROVED GRADE RANGE. You likely don't need just one grade, but can survive on a range of grades. See my point? For any given defined result, there are often multiple inputs that will suffice. Grade is just a means to an end when you look at it properly.

I guess we're saying similar things, but from different viewpoints. You're on the south rim of the Canyon, and I'm on the north side. We're staring at the same attraction, from different perspectives. No matter; I appreciate the opportunity to debate the matter. I just don't like these hypothetical "what if ..." threads, because there is no sane way to answer unless you state ALL conditions for a specific application. And by the time you do that, the answer should already become self-evident.

Last edited:
What started off as a hypothetical question has gone sideways.
If the technology existed to allow lower viscosities without sacrificing wear,
the only correct answer would be the thinnest grade possible.
But if that same additive technology set a new standard with traditional grades, then what?
The song remains the same. (Without permission from LZ)
Would you sacrifice wear for fuel economy?

Originally Posted By: used_0il
If the technology existed to allow lower viscosities without sacrificing wear,
the only correct answer would be the thinnest grade possible.
But if that same additive technology set a new standard with traditional grades, then what?
The song remains the same. (Without permission from LZ)
Would you sacrifice wear for fuel economy?

CAUTION - FORTHCOMING RANT - YOU ARE FOREWARNED

Again - does it not depend on things you've not specified?
This is what's wrong with these type threads; they are too open ended ...

Take your last question:
"Would you sacrifice wear for fuel economy?"
Maybe so, maybe not. How is it defined and applied?

If you said I would lose 5% wear protection, but gain 8% fuel savings, I'd be inclined to investigate it at lesat. Here's why ...

Consider that most vehicle engines can easily last 250k miles today. If you only intend to own a vehicle for 3 years, at 15k miles a year, then the loss of wear control means zip to you, but the fuel economy might. Even if you drove 100k miles a year, but only intended to keep the vehicle out to 200k miles and then sell it, your loss in wear control won't affect the CoO (cost of ownership) as greatly as the fuel savings. You may wear the engine a bit more, but you'll not wear it out in the time frame you intend to operate it. So the fuel savings make easily take precedence over the wear issues.

Leased vehicles are an excellent example of where low-cost maintenance pays off for the original user. Why use syns and super filters when you're not greatly altering the lifespan overall, and MOST CERTAINLY not altering it during your control duration.

However, if you intend to keep your vehicle for longer periods and distances, then the fuel savings may not be worth it. You may value the wear control over the fuel savings.

The name of the game here is to match up your entire maintenance program to the intended application and expected duration of use. (SEE MY SIGNATURE LINE !!!) I see this premise violated all the time, even here at BITOG. Guys will use Amsoil lubes and BP filters, and brag how great the system is. But the reality is that the vehicle will leave their possession far sooner than any lube/filter choice may or may not have any true lifespan effect. In fact, using syns and BP filters does not assure you a longer equipment life, but they can certainly gain ROI only IF you run your program appropriately. The reality is that the vehicle will likely be wrecked/stolen/sold/rusted long before it's "worn out" the engine.

That's why this thread is silly, IMO. And your follow up Q is just as silly. You ask boundless questions that cannot be adequately answered because too many variable are left wide open to the imagination.

Would I sacrifice wear for fuel economy? Maybe; maybe not. You do a better job of defining the question and I'll give you a more solid answer.

Originally Posted By: used_Oil

The reason these go sideways is because the hypothetical question is nearly boundless, and so the answers only multiply that effect.

If people would stick to more concentrated actual scenarios, and consider reasonable options, and then constrain choices to the real world application, these things would have no room to go "sideways" in the first place.

Want to know what I rage against these threads?
Because they are unregulated banter with no redeeming value.
If you see value is such questions, PUH-LEEEEZEEE show me where it exists.

Hey - why not a thread about which is the best stereo speaker? For starters, would it not be helpful to know what application (car, boat, motorcycle, home theater)? What about size constraints? What about power range? What about audio range? Etc ...
Until we know a lot about the application, the answers are just going to be wildly uncontrolled; they will be both correct and wrong all at the same time.

What oil would I like to see in various grade ranges? All of them; or maybe none of them.
Would I sacrifice wear for economy? Perhaps I would, but I may not.

If the tree falls in the forest, does anyone hear the BITOGer groan when it falls on him?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back