Buying Used GMC Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at a used GMC Sierra or Yukon. Just peeking around. I understand there are a number of variables involved with buying used (that is all I ever had).

I like the Sierra or Yukon. How do they hold up for the most part? I see some 2004 with 140k on it for $5900. Is that reasonable and would I conceivably get 3/4 years if not driven too hard? Again, I know brakes and numerous other problems but I just want a general "yeah, not bad". I also understand it is expectations, hey I know it is 10 years old with some bruises.

Just looking for some "friendly" thoughts and fatherly advice and yeah not bad or no.

Depending on the area the truck comes from, brake/fuel line rot, fuel pump, rocker panel rust, rear brake backing plates rot off, window motors, steering box leaks and a few other small things.
The drive train is usually pretty solid as is the under body, suspension and cooling system.

I have a 2005 Silverado crew cab 4x4 5.3 with 150k miles and it hasn't broke down yet. I do a lot of off road driving on the weekends and commuting during the week. I have replaced the shocks, ball joints/tie rod ends, a wheel speed sensor and a water pump. Not too bad in my opinion. The water pumps are known to get pin holes at about 12/15 years old. Drives just like the day I bought it. Also the edges of the I head liner got droopy but I glued them back. The truck is parked outside in 100+ degree weather all summer and the hood just started to oxidize this year.

I have a 2006 Sierra I purchased new. It’s been among the better GM vehicles I’ve owned. Of course, being among the better GM vehicles isn’t saying much based on the many I’ve owned.

These are good trucks overall, but you do need to be thorough in your shakedown of any used truck.

We run GMT800s for well over 300-400K mi at work. The trucks get replaced when they have a major mechanical failure that deems them no longer worth fixing, then they get parted out and scrapped. The last one was a 2002ish 4.3L that lost oil pressure (pump failure) just shy of 500K. When one dies, we replace it with a decent used truck. The pickup fleet is everything from base model 4.3s to a 5.3 Sierra SLE with factory buckets, Bose, etc. The only options they all share are 8' bed and 2WD.

These are working trucks and have numerous repairs over the course of their life. Transmissions, fuel pumps, water pumps, brake parts (parking brake self destructed on the Sierra in a pretty spectacular way), blower motor resistors, blend door actuators, hub assemblies, tailgate handles, etc. All of our trucks have the CEL on, probably for the EVAP canister vent valve. That said, parts are abundant and cheap for these trucks, and they are easy to work on. And keep in mind, our trucks get used to the point we replace things like seat cushions and steering wheels, so they really take a beating.

I have seen a number of rotten GMT800s brought down here. That needs to be priority #1 in your area. Anything else is fixable on these.

I have two GM trucks that are from that immediate time frame... one built in Indiana, and the other built in Ontario.

The (2000) Indiana truck has just about been flawless.

The (2004) Ontario truck has not. Biggest trouble spots have been steering, transmission fluid leaks, and the blend door motors on the HVAC.

So, to me... the biggest difference in reliability starts where the truck was built. Is that a coincidence or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back