The Reality of Self-Driving Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Y'all haven't mentioned the real fun coming up in the future. We go to a NASCAR or Indy 500 race and there are no drivers, just self driving cars. That'll be the day.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: PandaBear
I'd love to get a self driving car for my kids and my senior parents. Some of them still need to go around but couldn't drive.

Then I also would love to get 2 extra hours of sleep during commute one day.
It's part of being an adult!!! Your parents obviously did a great job judging your postings.The kid part,, that is the pleasure of being a parent. Both my parents died and I would love to be able to drive them around and both my kids are adults and I would love to turn the clock back and drive them where to they needed to be . I ache thinking about the pleasure my kids were when they were young. You will be able to catch up on sleep when you retire.

I would love to drive people around whenever I am not at work too, but sometimes you just have to either let them take the bus or walk, or get a ride somehow. That's reality in today's 2 income household.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Then I also would love to get 2 extra hours of sleep during commute one day.

Good heavens, you spend two hours a day driving ?

I don't anymore, but I used to spend even more, like 3 hours round trip. It is actually quite common if you could not afford a 900k townhouse in good school, and don't want to send your kids to a bad school living in a 500k condo. Driving 3 hours a day and work 4 days a week is one way to do it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vuflanovsky
I doubt I'd ever spend 40-50K on one unless it was mandated or there was a great incentive.

That's the hard part. If you want a self driving car to work right, you'd need to spend a lot of money for radar, camera, computer, sensors, and system R&D cost. Also due to safety precaution and liability, it would also likely be a trip much slower than a real driver behind the wheel too.

I'd not be surprised if it is going to be a $50k option reserved only for high end models.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back