One Eye Jack and his 31 year old Honda Civic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to see pictures of this car if you could find time?
Over 400k miles? I think it's worth a thread.
19.gif

Last edited:
No pictures right now but it'a a pure stock 4-door station wagon.

Link

I'm the original owner but I did overhaul the engine at just over 400K because of visible smoke which prevented it from passing California smog. The oil control rings failed and no special oil or anything else would fix that.

Overhauling it was a crying shame. The rest of the engine was in great condition. For the head all I did was touch up the valve faces and seats, replace the valve guide seals and other o-rings and gaskets and lightly surface the head. One light pass did it. I did the rest of the engine because I was able to get an NOS overhaul kit for practically nothing.

There's no secret to high mileage if you start with a good car, have reasonable driving habits, moderate weather and a garage.

Everything works except the dealer installed A/C which is not working right now after the overhaul and needs some hoses and some other bits and pieces.

I've used Red Line products for a long time and for a while I used RLI engine oil. When the car was brand new I used Castrol 5w-30.

That is quote the accomplishment, I am not sure any other member on this site has kept a brand new car 31 years and 400k miles. If that isn't worth a few pictures I don't know what is.

I'll see what I can do. I don't have a smart phone and I'm not much into photography.

As BITOG member bbhero can confirm with out divulging private information, I've been hard put just keeping up, lately.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
No pictures right now but it'a a pure stock 4-door station wagon.

Link

I have seen a couple of those on the road rusted to [censored] but still running. You picked a good one!

Originally Posted By: dishdude
That is quote the accomplishment, I am not sure any other member on this site has kept a brand new car 31 years and 400k miles. If that isn't worth a few pictures I don't know what is.

Hear, hear!

Honda was a small car company 40-45 years ago, back then they had only 3 car lines: Accord, Civic and Prelude. Accord and Civic back then had only 2 trim levels DX and LX, Prelude had only 1 trim level.

People who bought 1 Honda car likely would buy another then another. Word of mouth did wonder for Honda, for some years they could not import enough cars to satisfy demand in US, they had to start building cars here in Ohio in mid 80's.

The demand was so high such that some dealers had to bribe some Honda executives to get good allocation. Some of those executives got caught and went to jail.

I'm the original owner but I did overhaul the engine at just over 400K because of visible smoke which prevented it from passing California smog. The oil control rings failed and no special oil or anything else would fix that.

There is a no smoke oil you could have tried. Or you could have tried Lucas or motor honey.

Originally Posted By: 2civics

19.gif

It's really not that spectacular. I know of a couple vehicles in our area that have at least half a million miles on them. Especially since he had to do significant work to the engine because it was smoking severely, it's not exactly untouched to get it there.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Our shop truck has over 400k and still passes the California smog test.uses about a qt of oil in 8k.

Sure it does.
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

19.gif

It's really not that spectacular. I know of a couple vehicles in our area that have at least half a million miles on them. Especially since he had to do significant work to the engine because it was smoking severely, it's not exactly untouched to get it there.

400k miles not spectacular? okaaayyyyy....
crazy2.gif

I've never claimed it was anything special. I was just disappointed that the oil control rings failed because the rest of the engine was in such good shape.

It still had factory new compression. And when I tore it down the cylinders had no taper and the bearings were like new. There was no sludge anywhere.

One other minor detail. Everything works, every switch, every gauge, the solenoid for the tailgate release, the locks, windows, windshield wipers, steering wheel switches and I'm still on the original alternator and starter. Nothing has needed repair or replacement except the half shafts, brakes and tires.

It's not a spectacular car. It's a good car.

I've never claimed it was anything special. I was just disappointed that the oil control rings failed because the rest of the engine was in such good shape.

It still had factory new compression. And when I tore it down the cylinders had no taper and the bearings were like new. There was no sludge anywhere.

One other minor detail. Everything works, every switch, every gauge, the solenoid for the tailgate release, the locks, windows, windshield wipers, steering wheel switches and I'm still on the original alternator and starter. Nothing has needed repair or replacement except the half shafts, brakes and tires.

It's not a spectacular car. It's a good car.

Everything works? I thought the A/C was toast?

19.gif

But if the rest of the car is in good shape, then I would say yes it is. It's quite rare. Betting living in Cali helps a bit too.....
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: JavierG
19.gif

crazy2.gif

According to Pop, spectacular is 1 million miles without any engine work, major or minor, and consumes no more than 1 pint of oil in 10k miles. External engine parts such as starter, alternator ... are wear and tear parts so they are allowed to be repaired or replaced, but no more than once every 200-300k miles.

Is this right, Pop ?

Last edited:
400k miles not spectacular
I have rebuilt quiet a few 1zz-fe with 300k+ and one with 400k+, the cylinder walls were immaculate and upon rebuild, no more oil burning(the only issue with the engine from the lack of oil return holes). A lubricated engine, especially a (Honda or Toyota) 4 cylinder (my personal experience only) can easily go beyond those miles with any hick ups.

The 05-08 1zz-fes can easily do all those miles without any rebuild as the issue is fixed in them, I know one owner who has 500k on his 06 corolla without any oil loss between 10k OCI.

Last edited:
The A/C is not "toast". I just want to replace the hoses. The compressor and everything else is good. It worked up until the overhaul with no more service than keeping it charged, nothing else.

I did have to make one adjustment about 10 years ago. There's a solenoid that picks up the idle when the A/C is on and it needed to be reset, not replaced.

In all those years I did everything myself except for tires and wheel alignment.

Again this is not an exceptional car, it's just a good car. It has never failed to start and get me where I wanted to go.

Also the high ceiling gives good head room and I hauled a refrigerator home with the rear hatch closed. I've also slept in it on camping trips. It was warm inside with enough room to stretch out in my sleeping bag.

19.gif

crazy2.gif

Not really...heck, it is normal on a taxi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back