Mobil 1 expiration date

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 5qt jug I bought the other day had nothing stamped with ink just a few numbers stamped right into the plastic on the bottom of the jug. There was dust on the jug but it was the only one left. A jug of the same stuff at an auto parts place had a code stamped in ink on the front side at the bottom. How can you tell the expiration date on Mobil 1? Without codes on the jug how would you know if it was still good?

It doesn't expire. Just get it good and warm, like leaving inside your trunk on a hot day and shake it vigorously to remix everything up and it's good to go.

Look on the back of the jug, is it marked API SN in the circle or something else? If it's SN it's pretty fresh... I see some older SM stuff at stores still... Anything older would be rare unless personally owned that long.

I must be slipping, I am usually very attentive. I don't know if it was SN or not. That is usually one of the first things I check. I will say that the jug looked exactly the same as in auto parts stores so I would imagine it is up to date.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
It doesn't expire. Just get it good and warm, like leaving inside your trunk on a hot day and shake it vigorously to remix everything up and it's good to go.

Look on the back of the jug, is it marked API SN in the circle or something else? If it's SN it's pretty fresh... I see some older SM stuff at stores still... Anything older would be rare unless personally owned that long.

My local Napa has a lot of SL QS and Valvoline syn power in stock tucked beside their oil rack. I've tried multiple times to buy it for a clearance price, but they still want retail.... These bottles are so old and dusty looking

("I've always felt oil is good indefinitely.") I agree!! Our Engine shop has hundreds of cases of Mobil 1 15W-50 (12 qt bottles per case) "SG" left over from when Mobil gave us oil for the Indy lights series back in 1988-89 era, before Valvoline gave us all the oil for the Fleet of 120 GM V-6 race engines we maintained up till 2002. Its fantastic oil with no problems today running in every thing from fiftys classics to Brand new 2015 cars with NO Problems!! Its even full of zinc!! a extra bonus!! So NO!! it does NOT EXPIRE!!

Since when did oil expire. It's already millions of years old, yes even synthetic.

Originally Posted By: ShotGun429
("I've always felt oil is good indefinitely.") I agree!! Our Engine shop has hundreds of cases of Mobil 1 15W-50 (12 qt bottles per case) "SG" left over from when Mobil gave us oil for the Indy lights series back in 1988-89 era, before Valvoline gave us all the oil for the Fleet of 120 GM V-6 race engines we maintained up till 2002. Its fantastic oil with no problems today running in every thing from fiftys classics to Brand new 2015 cars with NO Problems!! Its even full of zinc!! a extra bonus!! So NO!! it does NOT EXPIRE!!

I bet that SG mobil 1 15W50 (red cap?) is way better than the current 15W50. Heck,I'd use it in my car in a heartbeat if I had it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back