2010 FX4 | M1 EP 0W-20 SN | 17,475 Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gang,

Here is UOA No. 21 on my FX4 (along with all of the others). This time with M1 EP 0W-20 SN. All looks normal and within the expected ranges. I forgot to ask Blackstone to run a TAN on the oil and they are doing it now. I will update the spreadsheet with the result when I receive it. As far as I can tell (at least in my application) there is not much difference between M1 AFE and M1 EP.

PS...I used Techron fuel cleaner at three different times during this run--with no affect on the oil (for those that wonder about using additives).

Enjoy!

Looking good! M1 really holds its TBN well!

Best looking UOA spreadsheet I have ever seen! One thing that you may want to correct is the Mobil advertised virgin flashpoint. M1 EP 0W-20 is 455°F. Your sheet says 435°F (cell E58). Just caught my eye since it's the same value as your 0W-20 AFE value (F58) and I knew the EP version was a little higher then the AFE version. I wonder if it got flipped with your tested AFE sample #20 value (cell F57)? I wouldn't think a UOA would show a higher flashpoint then the virgin number.

TAN shows "TESTING". Is Blackstone going to report back to you with that?

So what's next....20,000 miles!

Pics were posted like 2-3 days ago
34.gif

Originally Posted By: gonefishing
Looking good! M1 really holds its TBN well!

Best looking UOA spreadsheet I have ever seen! One thing that you may want to correct is the Mobil advertised virgin flashpoint. M1 EP 0W-20 is 455°F. Your sheet says 435°F (cell E58). Just caught my eye since it's the same value as your 0W-20 AFE value (F58) and I knew the EP version was a little higher then the AFE version. I wonder if it got flipped with your tested AFE sample #20 value (cell F57)? I wouldn't think a UOA would show a higher flashpoint then the virgin number.

TAN shows "TESTING". Is Blackstone going to report back to you with that?

So what's next....20,000 miles!
I copied and pasted the virgin flash point from the AFE; I will correct it
smile.gif
. Yes, when I get the TAN results I will update the spreadsheet. 20K sounds like a good number to go to next!

Originally Posted By: walk23
Was there a discernible difference in gas milEage in the AFE and the EP ?
None that I could detect, but then again, I tow and do "truck" things so I am not sure I would detect a difference. AFE works as well as EP in my application.

Originally Posted By: 2civics
Not much difference? Did you run the regular M1 up to 17k miles on an oci as well?
I ran AFE to just over 15K. Compare the results in the spreadsheet and you will see why I said what I did.

Looking at that spreadsheet, I don't know if I should applaud you or fear you....

LOL!! Either way, you are a dedicated kind of crazy!!

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I applaud you for posting data on extended oil changes on 0wxx oil in a warm climate. Makes me feel bad when I change at 6000
frown.gif

Come on Miller live dangerously--bump that OCI to 10K
wink.gif

Other than you who extended oil change interval regularly, there is an S2000 owner who extended OCI to 30-40k miles, but he has bypass oil filter and pre-lube, also his S2000 used about a quart about every 3-4k miles which is normal for AP1.

I extended OCI in my LS400 too, with synthetic oil I changed oil once a year up to 18-20k miles, with dino I change oil twice a year. After 21 years and 370k miles the engine is running well.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Originally Posted By: Miller88
I applaud you for posting data on extended oil changes on 0wxx oil in a warm climate. Makes me feel bad when I change at 6000
frown.gif

Come on Miller live dangerously--bump that OCI to 10K
wink.gif

Once I am done with this current interval of cheap 10w-30 dino in the Focus, it's going 1 year interval.

Nice results. No oxidation/thickening at all. Impressive for an oil that is SN approved with a SA of .8%.
thumbsup2.gif
01.gif

Thanks for sharing.

Not much difference? Did you run the regular M1 up to 17k miles on an oci as well?
I ran AFE to just over 15K. Compare the results in the spreadsheet and you will see why I said what I did.

You are correct. I only skimmed the data the first time.
I apologize. This makes me want to switch back from the EP to the AFE on my next oil change.
What went into your decision to go to a 0w-20 from a 5w20?
Thanks!

Last edited:
You are correct. I only skimmed the data the first time. I apologize. This makes me want to switch back from the EP to the AFE on my next oil change. What went into your decision to go to a 0w-20 from a 5w20? Thanks!
It was initially a dare from a group of friends to run a "0" oil for 15K miles in my 5.4L engine. The results were so good, that I simply continued. M1 AFE and EP (at the time) both carried the Ford specification for use in engines specified for a 5W-20 so it was an easy decision. Ath the end of the day, they are both still 20's, the "0" does not come into play for me except for the time in Colorado each year where it has been -15F or lower.

Your report just shows that a quality 0-20 holds up very well for long OCIs even in a truck V8 used as a truck with towing, etc. I have now put over 100K using 0-20AFE with great results on both of my engines and they continue to perform very well. Merkava4 needs to comment here on this oil report as the other thick oil guys. Modern engines and oils in the USA and Asia
are proving to be excellent performers every day, not to mention for the last 15 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back