could an STP oil filter go 10k oci?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well based logic on that
smile.gif
I had a Fram Ultra XG-2 go at least 70,000 miles. It did fantastic actually. I couldnt believe how well it held up.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Seems like a poor choice for an intentional 10k filter run to me. I personally wouldn't run an ecore any further than it was to drive to buy a proper filter.

I'd suggest a Tough Guard. If you want a bargain priced filter for 10k, then Motorcraft.

KC, I thought you liked the MC over the TG? I know I put down FRAM oil filters a lot, except for their crown jewel, the FU, but the TG is basically an EG with a silicon ADBV, IMO. It seems like the consumer is basically paying the extra $$$'s for an EG with a silicon ADBV. I very well could be wrong but, it's just my opinion.

TG is my favorite Fram despite the high regard for the Ultra here, he wants a 10k FCI so a TG would be perfect IMO.

TG is about as much as I am willing to pay for a filter anyway.

Yes I like MC's plenty a real bargain at 4 bucks, running one now in fact.

BOF Tough Guards are a lot more than a glorified orange can. You get more media, a higher percentage of syn blend, so higher capacity and higher filtering efficiency, plus slightly thicker end caps and yes the silicone ADBV and double the mileage use rating. Well worth it for another 2 bucks. Plus they work great on my picky Jeep!

19.gif

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
TG is my favorite Fram despite the high regard for the Ultra here, he wants a 10k FCI so a TG would be perfect IMO.

TG is about as much as I am willing to pay for a filter anyway.

Yes I like MC's plenty a real bargain at 4 bucks, running one now in fact.

BOF Tough Guards are a lot more than a glorified orange can. You get more media, a higher percentage of syn blend, so higher capacity and higher filtering efficiency, plus slightly thicker end caps and yes the silicone ADBV and double the mileage use rating. Well worth it for another 2 bucks. Plus they work great on my picky Jeep!

19.gif

KC, I take your word for what you say. I know how many filters you have gone through on your Jeep to find the right one/one's that work the best.
Just stay away from the double ADBV oil filters.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Well based logic on that
smile.gif
I had a Fram Ultra XG-2 go at least 70,000 miles. It did fantastic actually. I couldnt believe how well it held up.

70,000 was that a typo or did you realm leave a filter on that long.

I have no doubt an ECore can go 10k mi.

I'm just seeing the general consensus.

People knock the plastic cage, saying its not as sturdy as a metal one

Explain the Purolator classic blowouts?

In a low pressure newer engine system, that has seen synthetic since new, and has no sludge or leaks, with a 0w20 motor oil, it shouldn't be far fetched.

Now on a 1970 beater whatever that leaks slime and has run on city star 20w50 for most of its life, wouldn't be a good choice.

In 10K mi, I'll cut it open. I almost will guarantee it holds up.

Ecores are literally the 2010s OCOD. People knocked fiber endcaps for years...

Now they have move to knocking the center tube.

You know how many applications use AC Delco filters and their OM by GM allows a 7500k-10k oci?

I know my cars delco filter, PF48E is ecore.

I carried it in the back of my Altima for over two years.. It was the oil filter from my Fusion that had been totalled from a deer hit. So, I carried it in the car thinking I could find a good vehicle to use it in. I learned about 3 weeks ago this filter is a match for my step dad's Ram Laramie and my mom's Expedition
smile.gif

So, I gave it to them. The way it I referenced it was in response to member SilverC6 post about a STP filter could last 10k miles if it spent the first 5k riding in the passengers seat. My Fram Ultra XG-2 lasted 70,000 plus miles in that way
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bbhero
I carried it in the back of my Altima for over two years.. It was the oil filter from my Fusion that had been totalled from a deer hit. So, I carried it in the car thinking I could find a good vehicle to use it in. I learned about 3 weeks ago this filter is a match for my step dad's Ram Laramie and my mom's Expedition
smile.gif

So, I gave it to them. The way it I referenced it was in response to member SilverC6 post about a STP filter could last 10k miles if it spent the first 5k riding in the passengers seat. My Fram Ultra XG-2 lasted 70,000 plus miles in that way
smile.gif

Oh lol, o see
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Changed it out today. At 9100mi.
Looks good. Haven't cut it open, don't have the cutter from Florida here. Maybe I can find one in the motorpool sometime

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back