Best place to get a brake fluid flush?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking for somewhere where they hook up the car to one of those dialysis like machines and drain the fluid out that way. I am pretty sure the dealership does it this way but I don't want to pay dealership prices. Does anyone know what that machine that they use is called? If I knew that I could call around and ask for it by name. Just want something that is thorough. Any other suggestions are welcome as doing it myself isn't in the cards. Thanks

Doing it yourself is easier than you may think. It doesn't *have* to be a 2 man job anymore.

I invested $25 in 4 Speed Bleeders, and turned it into a one man job, for as long as I own my truck.

And another $10 for 2 quarts of DOT 3, and it is a done deal. Took an hour and a half to install the Speed Bleeders, and to flush out the system with new fluid... start to finish.

We have a CarX here locally which might have that type of machine.

Further background. I hired a "mobile mechanic" to do a brake flush a week ago. All he got out was 6 oz. total. Not nearly enough and has me concerned that doing it at home or with someone else wouldn't be effective. It was just a bad experience I know but I don't know enough about it not to have it happen again.

Last edited:
I'd think any chain shop like Midas, NTB, Pep Boys would use that machine. Call around and see what they say.

Last edited:
OP: If you really want a full full flush though, you want more than just the brake flush machine.

What you want to seek out is a shop has the dealer computer that can cycle the ABS system during the flush-if your vehicle supports this. Obviously the dealer has this, if they are a brand-specific shop they may have the computer too.

Still, you may need to specifically ask for them to do the computer part as part of the brake flush too (maybe additional charge).

Last edited:
Just got off the phone with the dealership. They want $127.43 for the flush.
frown.gif

The local CarX wants $59.99.

Not going to bash dealerships but they have out-priced me on this service.

So can I ask, should I stick with Honda break fluid (dot 3) or will any dot 3 break fluid work? Sometimes I get tired of Honda telling me I have to go to them for every little thing. Transmission and coolant I get but....

Originally Posted By: 2civics
So can I ask, should I stick with Honda break fluid (dot 3) or will any dot 3 break fluid work? Sometimes I get tired of Honda telling me I have to go to them for every little thing. Transmission and coolant I get but....

I haven't noticed any difference between different DOT3 fluids, but I have had issues with DOT4 fluids giving me a softer brake pedal on Honda's. Don't ask me why, but it makes no sense at all.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: 2civics

I haven't noticed any difference between different DOT3 fluids, but I have had issues with DOT4 fluids giving me a softer brake pedal on Honda's. Don't ask me why, but it makes no sense at all.

Alright. Thanks!

Just for a point of reference. I have been told, and I believe that it's true, is that the higher the heat resistance of the fluid the more water susceptible it is. In other words DOT 3 will likely last longer before the next change is needed. If that is incorrect someone please correct it right now. Brakes are too important.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back