Maxlife ATF Honda Users

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Tundragod
Anybody willing to post info of how to order DW1 from Curryacura?

Here's the link Curry Acura Parts.

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?siteid=214999

Part # 08200-9008.

As I mentioned though, Curry used be free ship but think once you create an account now go to final checkout, shipping will be added. If so, putting DW1 in a search on ebay will likely yield a lower price. Good Luck.

Me too, $8.23/qt at Curry. Just got it at 8.30+tax from the local Honda dealer. A lot of money, but if it was $15/qt I'd be using Maxlife right now.

Originally Posted By: Tundragod
Thanks for the info. I only see $8.23 per qts.

No problem. Something interesting happened, when I toggle between FedEx Ground and FE Ground AK, HI, and PR I can get shipping charges without creating an account. $10 for 48 states, $20 for others.

So ebay choices still less expensive with shipping included even than Curry without.

But yeah, MaxLife in the gallon jug is certainly a value if that's your choice.

I've talked to a lot of mechanics that have replaced Honda transmissions after not using Honda DW-1 fluid. They have all said to just use the Honda fluid.

I ran Maxlife ATF in my 2000 Accord (4 spd auto) starting at 100k miles. It was still shifting fine 5 years later at 175k when I sold it.
It got regular ATF changes at 30k intervals and a Magnefine ATF inline filter in the cooling line since that model had no factory filter.

Originally Posted By: stchman
I've talked to a lot of mechanics that have replaced Honda transmissions after not using Honda DW-1 fluid. They have all said to just use the Honda fluid.
many many Honda Trans failures were doomed from the day it left the production line never had anything to do with the fluid.

Originally Posted By: stchman

I guess I'd like to know how many mechanics "a lot" constitutes, and how they knew it was the fluid that caused any damage. And even if they did somehow know it was the fluid, what fluid was being used at the time.

The local Honda dealer by me sells DW-1 for ~$8.50 a quart. I used it to change my brother's Accord auto trans fluid.

You can get DW-1 on ebay for ~$9 a quart shipped to your door.

Great info here on DW-1, I used to buy all my oem parts and fluids at Bernardi. I am gonna try Curry to see if it is cheaper. Never used any other ATF other than Honda. I might be wasting money but it helps me sleep better at night
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: si_jeff
Great info here on DW-1, I used to buy all my oem parts and fluids at Bernardi. I am gonna try Curry to see if it is cheaper. Never used any other ATF other than Honda. I might be wasting money but it helps me sleep better at night
smile.gif

Just did a drain and refill today with some fresh DW-1 - darn that was fun!

97 Integra, currently 255k miles, ATF changed every 30k religiously.

0-150k miles were on Honda ATF Z1
150-210k miles were on Maxlife (not sure new or old formula)
210-now were on Castrol IMV

No problem at all, I think Honda shift slightly smoother when cold, but it is not really a huge difference compare to the other 2.

Last edited:
Approximately 50k on our 2012 Civic running the ML ATF. Shifts just as good as it ever has. I try and do yearly drain and fills in all my vehicles these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back