Trans-X after a torque converter replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning Friends -

Over the weekend, I had a local wrench change out my failing torque converter for me and all went well. No broken bolt or exhaust clamps and the Audi is back to 100%.

The one thing that bothered me a bit was that he added a bottle of Trans-X to the fluid when he refilled. He stated that he does this to all high mileage transmissions and has never had a problem. Is this stuff going to hurt anything? Here's the MSDS for what he used:

http://www.crcindustries.com/faxdocs/msds/402916.pdf

Is it basically just a handful of cleaning agents and will they eventually evaporate off and I should check the ATF level in a bit? Is it worth the effort to get new fluid in there? The only previous additive I've used it LG Red, with success.

Thanks for the advice.

it is likely going to do some cleaning if there was any buildup in the tranny. and although i am not familiar with this vehicle, i would make sure I get the fluid and filter changed on time on the next service interval or sooner, especially if i notice the fluid does not look right to me.

Cleaner/seal sweller. Its effects are temporary, I once used it to limp a 35-year-old and 200k mile A727 along another couple of seasons. Repeated use, I'm convinced anyway, will only make old seals harder and more brittle. Sure, it swells and softens when you first dump it in, but after all the volatiles go away all it will have done is flushed some of the natural softening agents out of the rubber parts, leaving them a little more shrunken and brittle than they were when you started. But a one-shot dose should be fairly harmless.

I am of the opinion that any oil that has had a cleaner flush added, the whole volume of oil should be replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back