cummins no crank 911 HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2007 ram with the 5.9L diesel, manual transmission. It left me stranded in a parking lot, will not crank over. My batteries are good. I had to make do with what I could find on hand since I was away from home. I tried jumpering the clutch pedal position switch, the starter solenoid, and cleaned the battery contacts, no dice. Tapping on the starter didn't help either. I'm guessing it's the starter at this point?

If the lights are good and bright probably the starter.

If the battery is good the glow plugs should still warm up you can kick start it in 2nd gear if you can get someone to push or tow you up to 5-10 mph and let the clutch out and push it back in before it stalls.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
If the lights are good and bright probably the starter.

If the battery is good the glow plugs should still warm up you can kick start it in 2nd gear if you can get someone to push or tow you up to 5-10 mph and let the clutch out and push it back in before it stalls.
No glow plugs, these engines have grid heaters that enable only below 59 degrees. I already had the truck towed. Thanks though.

Last edited:
It's warm enough that the grid heater won't even come on-I've never really looked at mine, but I wonder if you could jump the solenoid to the battery cable to test the starter? Don't try to bump start it in 1st or reverse, use 2nd or 3rd.

Can you roll start it? You don't need a heater on a Cummins in the summer, it will start right up.

I'd roll start it and drive it somewhere you can work on it.

Last edited:
I would try to jump the starter with a large screw driver to see if the starter cranks. If not it could be a bad starter relay or fuse. I would check through all the starter fuses and because you did not hear a click I would change the starter relay if the jumping of the starter causes it to crank.

NO! Third gear! Creeper gear will just stop the truck with compression braking. BTDT. Common mistake to push start in first or 2nd. YOu overspin the engine as the gear ratio is "backwards" when push starting as to what you need
smile.gif
Maybe 12:1 overdrive backward drive in the creeper.

I had it towed to the dealer since I was caught with my pants down (less than half a block away, GRRRRRR!!). They called me in the morning and said they started it four times without any trouble, couldn't find anything wrong with the starting system. They did however, find lots of trouble codes that weren't making any sense. Chrysler told the dealer to reflash the ECM since I am some five updates removed, to see if that corrects the issue. I picked up the truck since I needed it today, and will return for the reflash in a couple of days. Drove it today without any trouble. I'm behind on updates because the truck never gave me any problems before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back