Jws3309 spec for Toyota t -iv?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My head is spinning from all the contradictory info on this spec,if an atf meets this jws3309 spec is it a good replacement for toyota t iv atf fluid? I see people constantly mentioning mobil 3309 fluid but Menards has a quaker state synthetic atf that lists Jws 3309 on the back. And has anybody noticed toyota t iv has more of a purple tinge than the normal red of a dex fluid, this is for a 2004 Highlander 4wd V6.

or just stop by toyota dealer and buy T-IV? It's not expensive...

Out of the bottle T-IV, I did not recall it having a purplish tinge. That can be more of an issue of color change from being in usage (but like oil, the color change does not always indicate the fluid is bad).

Good idea. I'm just going to pay whatever Toyota wants for t-iv. Atf specs are truly confusing to me.

So the general concensus is that a long as an atf meets the JWS3309 spec it can safely be used in T-IV spec'd models, my older Camry apparently can use pretty much any atf fluid.

Last edited:
3309 and T-IV are the same thing
smile.gif

Mobil 3309 and T-IV are the same fluid.

Castrol IMV is an excellent replacement if you'd rather use that.

3309 as in mobil 3309 that is stated on the front label or any atf that specifies 3309 on the back? !

Mobil 3309 is bottled toyota T-IV and the only one all others are just saying it meets specs. I always ran 3309 in my toyota got a great deal through mobil dealer by the case.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Mobil 3309 and T-IV are the same fluid.

Castrol IMV is an excellent replacement if you'd rather use that.

+1. IMV goes for $4 or less per qt around here. No problems in my Vibe which specs T-IV (A/W A246E).

Originally Posted By: zach1900
3309 as in mobil 3309 that is stated on the front label or any atf that specifies 3309 on the back? !

Any fluid that specifies 3309 or T-IV on the back
smile.gif

They are the same.

The spec is called JWS-3309, which Mobil shortens to just 3309. Toyota calls it T-IV

when i used the mobil 3309 in my 2005 RX 330 it shifted weird. i think toyota may have an additional additive in the toyota fluid. when i dumped it and put the toyota fluid back in it was fine. so take this for what you think it is worth. im just telling you how it acted in mine.

Last edited:
I have been using Mobil 3309 in my 04 Camry for six year now and have seen no difference at all. The 3309 spec is the 3309 spec. Type IV is 3309. Mobil probably makes it for TMC.

Originally Posted By: lexus114
when i used the mobil 3309 in my 2005 RX 330 it shifted weird. i think toyota may have an additional additive in the toyota fluid. when i dumped it and put the toyota fluid back in it was fine. so take this for what you think it is worth. im just telling you how it acted in mine.

Toyota did a cut-over to Type WS in certain model years, and I've used Mobil 3309 and Type T-IV interchangeably with no issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back