Burning belt smell (one time)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, this is really strange. This may be a problem that is unknown until it gets worse or breaks. I have a 2001 Nissan Sentra 2.0. Got in it yesterday morning to go to church and had to turn around and go home halfway there because I had a burning rubber smell coming through the vents. I had the AC running at the time and “thought” I heard a slight wining sound coming from the front. I’m not sure if this is related to the AC or not. But anyway, I pulled over, shut the AC off, let it idle for a minute and drove it home. I left the AC off for safe measure and smelled nothing on the way back. This has only ever happened to me once in the 2 years I have owned the car. Any ideas? I’m afraid this problem is going to present itself again while going 75 mph down the highway and 2 hours from home.

If the AC belt tension is fine then the compressor is dragging too much. Do you feel the engine lug more than usual when you kick the AC on?

I would assume its an issue with the A/C compressor and its probably not going to go away. Assuming the belt tension is OK, then the A/C compressor needs to be checked out.

Slipping serpentine belt.

Just replaced the set on my '08 Trailblazer for the same reason.

It may look ok but the surface is glazed so it slips.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mark72
so a slipping belt can burn, and it may not neccesarily be the compressor?

Sure could. Start with a belt and go from there. When replacing, check condition of the belt tensioner if automatic. Replace if excessive play is found. If it's a manual tension setup, use a tensioning gauge (don't guess). Good luck.

Originally Posted By: Mark72
so a slipping belt can burn, and it may not neccesarily be the compressor?

Absolutely. I have the belt tension on my Cherokee set really low on purpose (it still has original PS pulley, fan pulley , Alternator, crank pulley, idler). I don't have enough belt tension to run the AC compressor, ps pump and alternator (heavy load after starting, say).

If I'm not paying attention on a hot day and hop in, flip the AC on, put the blower to 4 and start maneuvering out of a parking spot, the belt will slip and I will smell it.

BTW I had a cherokee with serpentine belt and frozen alternator (from sitting) and you had to keep your foot on the gas for it to idle while smoking the belt. Belts can hold around 10 hp when they're in good shape; if your compressor is dragging hard you'd feel it in the idle.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
BTW I had a cherokee with serpentine belt and frozen alternator (from sitting) and you had to keep your foot on the gas for it to idle while smoking the belt. Belts can hold around 10 hp when they're in good shape; if your compressor is dragging hard you'd feel it in the idle.

Friend of mine had one with a seized alternator. He would have to put a wrench on it and spin the alternator by hand - slipping the belt - in order for it to work.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Originally Posted By: eljefino

Friend of mine had one with a seized alternator. He would have to put a wrench on it and spin the alternator by hand - slipping the belt - in order for it to work.

Yup I busted it loose by the big bolt inside the pulley. It squeaked for a minute then you'd never know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back