Used oil analisys on Renault Megane II Break 1.5 D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear JorgeMartins,

Regarding those results I wouldn´t be worried. Almost all values are on the average side, and only the silicon is (and it was already) above expected. Try to see if there´s something wrong with the filter housing/air filter.

I don´t think that, looking at the numbers only, that you have a problem, but and as obvious, a mechanical failure can occur without warning in any engine at any given time, but I will leave that to the psychics.
grin.gif

Regards.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Blasar
Dear JorgeMartins,

Regarding those results I wouldn´t be worried. Almost all values are on the average side, and only the silicon is (and it was already) above expected. Try to see if there´s something wrong with the filter housing/air filter.

I don´t think that, looking at the numbers only, that you have a problem, but and as obvious, a mechanical failure can occur without warning in any engine at any given time, but I will leave that to the psychics.
grin.gif

Regards.

Hi Blasar.

I've checkd filter housing/air filter, found nothing.

Do you recommend some kind of air filter or any special measures on that?

Many thanks.

Hi!

Besides all that was already said, my only advice is to choose good quality filters and verify, once more, that the filter housing is tight sealed.

Regards.

Originally Posted By: JorgeMartins
Jetonic,

replacing is an option, but i prefer monitoring the engine oil now. That's what Portuguese Renault is doing. Cars with abnormal parts in oil should replace shells.

Regards.

one oil analysis at 100k miles isn't monitoring though. you'd need constant oil analysis for that, from fairly new. then the oil analysis cost however becomes equally expensive as the change of the big end shells. the cheapest solution therefor is to replace the bearing shells as a matter of course and be done with it. the next best solution is to sell the car before you get any symptoms, but you'll loose money that way over the bearing shell change.

changing big end bearing shells requires only for the sump to be dropped, can't see how you'll introduce new problems to the engine that way, unless the work done is sub standard. and if you do it yourself, the cost will be much closer to $100. Not worth taking any chance, imo.

If your bearings get to where they're looking like the ones in the picture, you'll see a LOT more copper and lead in your oil analysis.

New bearings cost $500 usd for this engine? Does that include installation labor? That seems really high for parts alone.

The bearings are not hard to change so long as the oil pan can be removed easily, i.e., there are not major subassemblies in the way such as driveshafts or such. (I had an Acura/Honda Legend once and the driveshafts went through the oil pan!)

Brons2.

Yes the price is hight, but real and includes installation labor.

Which materials are composed the shells?

Many thanks.

The soft material on the inside of the bearing shell is lead and copper, if it's a tri-metal bearing, which yours appear to be.

Some engines, especially in Fords, now use bi-metal bearings with aluminum being the main ingredient in the bearing surface.

I owned Renault Megane Coupe 1.5 DCI back in Europe for 4 years. It's also 105 hp version (non-dpf) probably the same engine and they're reliable. I wouldn't worry about the lead and silicon.

As far as i know, the recommended viscosity for 1.5 dci engines are ACEA C3 xw-40 with RN07XX approval. You can also try 0w40 or 5w40 next time.

I used Mobil 1 0w40 for more than 80000 kms and my OCI was 10000 kms. I'd recommend you to stick with 10k km OCI.

dgunay,

my OCi was always 13.000Km/14.000km or 15.000Km, now i'm doing 11.000 becaus the oil analisys.

Thanks again.

Hi there.

I've requested a third engine oil anaisys and I need some help to interpretate it based in the topic domain.

I've changed the oil brand.

Untitled_1.jpg

Many thanks.

Originally Posted By: JorgeMartins
Hi there.

Anyone??

Thanks.

Jorge, all is well in your latest report. The new oil seems to be a good match for your engine. The iron level continues to come down and now compares favorably to the universal averages. The number of kilometers you ran is similar to the kilometers used in the universal averages so it's a fair comparison.

The silicon level is much better in the latest report, that is gpod news. The viscosity is very healthy (even with a trace of fuel mixed in) and the insolubles (soot) are low.

I know that in the past, you have expressed concern for the bearings. At this time, they seem to be fine as they are showing consistent wear rates on par with the averages. Other than removing the bearings for inspection, that is the best you have to go with.

It appears that your engine is doing fine and the oil was in great condition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back