New Clutch in 98 Ranger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a problem post but just to brag on my youngest son! Biggest job yet to drop the transmission and put in a new flywheel & Clutch. First timers that we are, took about 9 hours on a very hot day in Seattle. I've confirmed what I always knew, "I hate wrestling with a transmission while laying on my back!!!

Kudos to your son! I have the same transmission in my van. I had mine out once for a bad slave cylinder which resulted in a clutch job, no point in not doing it once you're in there. I hope he changed the slave cylinder too.

Smart move BTW changing out the flywheel and not cutting it.

Nice work! Always feels great to complete a big job. Here's hoping all your gears are still there.

When I was a teen, and trannies were iron, we didn't have a jack. I was the jack, laying on my back, I would lift the trannie onto my chest, then heave it up. Someone having a hand on the tailshaft was usually helpful.

Jacks are definitely a great idea.

As a kid in high school we had a guy named Ed that could bench press a transmission for us. There was no such thing as going to the "shop" for someone else to do a repair.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Nice jack! Is it yours? Is it only for transmissions?

And finally,

Why did you replace the flywheel?b

Yes, bought the jack at Sears...actually I had a store credit from a Sears Credit card so it was basically free! It's not a transmission jack in particular, I bought it for lifting my Valkyrie motorcycle when I change tires since the Valk has no center stand.

As for the flywheel, I told my son I would have left it in since the clutch really wasn't chattering but rather had a poor and squeaky master cylinder. He wanted to do the flywheel and pilot bearing so everything came out. The truck actually seems to run smoother and quieter so the new flywheel seems to be better balanced than the original. So good call!

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Was he still smiling when it came to getting the tranny back in place?

That's when he STARTED smiling! He really worked hard on it for a long time to get to where he could actually get to the clutch so when it started going back together he was feeling better! He really grinned when we started it up and it went nicely into reverse to back off the ramps! Probably we both felt better when we got the trans matched back up to the engine and had a few of the bolts started (whew!)

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
As a kid in high school we had a guy named Ed that could bench press a transmission for us. There was no such thing as going to the "shop" for someone else to do a repair.

When I was young and stupid, me and my brother swapped automatic transmissions between a couple of early 60's Oldsmobiles. They were big and heavy and we were using a bottle jack and pieces of wood to lift/balance the transmissions. Surprised I wasn't crushed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back