best tool for stuck oil filters??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I typically use a band style filter wrench. You have to be careful with a hammer and screwdriver. But it sounds like you could be overtightening in the first place. Good rule of thumb is to dip your finger in the new oil and rub it on the gasket then tighten the filter by hand. The heat will cause the oil to help seal the filter even tighter but not so much that it will be hard to take off again without a basic filter wrench.

The Lisle Tools 63600 oil filter wrench will absolutely remove any and all stuck oil filters. It is a powerful tool, and for me, the only filter wrench I have ever needed to grab for the last 20 or so years. It fits multiple cars and sizes.

41gd0o9Ph8L._SY355_.jpg

The Lisle 63250 fits the larger size filters. Just these two tools will change the majority of oil filters in America.

Lisle 63250
41BPufCSLlL._SX300_.jpg

The oil filters for both our 4.6 engines in my F150 and my wife's Explorer are buried deep inside the 4X4 suspension. I got a KD metal strap wrench that you attach and use a 3/8 socket with extensions to remove. So far it's worked well getting tight oil filters off in tough to reach locations where you can't use a wrench with a handle or use the stab with a screw driver method.

Whimsey

Get 3 or 4 self tapping screws, #10s work well.

Drill 3 holes in your end cap wrench, at 120 degree intervals. Install end cap on filter. Insert screws, snugging them down tight. Then, crank away with the breaker bar.

Originally Posted By: tinmanSC
This thing is totally awesome.
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-universal...p;mktRedirect=y
Best tool i've found. I've added a rubber band around the little lip on the claw arms and that snugs the claw in place in tight spaces. Works fantastically.

I have the "OEM" Autozone version of this, and love it. For my VWs, I have a VW specific one, but for the rest, this hasn't let me down yet.

Originally Posted By: philipp10
stop over-tightening them in the first place.

It's not me! (usually) It's doing friends oil changes and such - the knuckleheads at the quickie-lube must stick them on with an air wrench or something. >_
Originally Posted By: ecotourist
The natural question is why are you having so many stuck filters?

In recent years I've used a torque wrench to tighten filters.

It's not (normally) lacking leverage on the wrench itself (except with those miserable strap-type filter wrenches, the short plastic handle is not enough then) but not being able to make the filter wrench hold properly onto the oil filter body. Short of like I said, hammering on a deep aluminum type one - which I then cant get off the dang filter without about a half hour of public profanity and bashing it against the concrete. :- P

When I put them on my normal routine was always to first smear oil on the filter gasket itself, and then go hand tight, and then tighten 1/2 turn past this. The [censored] plastic filter end cap wrenches wont even hold onto my filters this long - the deep aluminum one tightens it just fine, but then it's stuck to the filter and i've the darndest time getting it off the properly tightened filter since banging at it doesn't always work.

Despite never going more than 1/2 turn past hand tight (maybe I have really strong hands??) and oiling the seal I not infrequently have a struggle getting them back off. The aluminum deep filter end cap thing never slides on very nicely and will slip if not all the way on. Then if all the way on never comes back off again. I've started just doing hand tight (no extra half turns) but one is still stuck now. (temp differences?)

Can we keep most of the suggestions to tools? I've seen the three-prong type ones but wondered if they were best or as good vs the Lisle. Which brick'n'mortar places sell the Lisle anyways? It doesn't look familiar.

Last edited:
All I have ever needed was a normal strap wrench.

Cap wrenches that fit over oil filter pleats are no good.

If a strap wrench won't work, one of those spring loaded filter wrenches will do the trick.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
The Lisle Tools 63600 oil filter wrench will absolutely remove any and all stuck oil filters. It is a powerful tool, and for me, the only filter wrench I have ever needed to grab for the last 20 or so years. It fits multiple cars and sizes.

41gd0o9Ph8L._SY355_.jpg

The Lisle 63250 fits the larger size filters. Just these two tools will change the majority of oil filters in America.

Lisle 63250
41BPufCSLlL._SX300_.jpg

+1 on those wrenches, superb.

They bite while they twist, without crushing.

They work really well on an impact too, as a last resort

Originally Posted By: bubbatime

41gd0o9Ph8L._SY355_.jpg

Lisle 63250
41BPufCSLlL._SX300_.jpg

+1

This type of strap oil filter wrench will crush the filter and continue to get tighter eventually tearing it off. I had one filter on so tight from a car I just bought (used). socket style end cap did not work, Plier style just slipped, band type were a no go. A friend recommended that I try this strap model and it did the trick. Came out pretty crushed.

http://www.amazon.com/ATD-5208-Strap-Type-Filter-Wrench/dp/B000OUZBTQ

Originally Posted By: spk2000
This type of strap oil filter wrench will crush the filter and continue to get tighter eventually tearing it off. I had one filter on so tight from a car I just bought (used). socket style end cap did not work, Plier style just slipped, band type were a no go. A friend recommended that I try this strap model and it did the trick. Came out pretty crushed.

http://www.amazon.com/ATD-5208-Strap-Type-Filter-Wrench/dp/B000OUZBTQ

if the plier style is slipping you're probably got it upside down. There's a directionality to the plier style, and if needed you can have it get to crushing the can before slipping when used in the correct direction.

Last edited:
Use the tools mentioned by Bubba Time.

I would often do the first oil change to fleet owned vehicles, and the factory filter would always be screwed on too tightly. Those tools saved me from a great deal of frustration.

Plier type filter wrenches always work for me. I can grab onto the handles with both hands and really crank on the filter if needed.

Just to cap/close this comment, I got that Lisle wrench and all I can say boy is that ever true - took my troubled filter off like nothing. "Bit without crushing" is accurate - I dont know how well other things do it like the three pronged ones but i'm a believer. Since the physics may not be obvious the harder you turn without the filter moving the two grippers dig in ever the tighter so it cant slip, but they dont squish it as it's spread out over the length of the filter.

Going to order the other size for my other filters I encounter. Just to clarify this is a removal-only tool it doesn't put them on but you shouldn't need to go too tight anyway.

And also to unfortunately clarify, things recommended here that did NOT work for me:
- the KD oil filter wrench with swivel handle (unless i'm using it wrong - ended up returning them)
- Plier type filter wrenches (ended up returning them)
- Strap type filter wrenches
- Other endcap type filter wrenches including shallow plastic and the deep aluminum ones

The only one i didnt try were the three-way gripper type ones, but having seen how well the Lisle works at the same price I have no need to. Just posting this for others looking for the same info.

Last edited:
I've bought various Lisle products/tools for many years and found them to be well engineered and made. Iowa outfit it was.

I've got like 8 oil filter wrenches now, it grows I guess. I couldn't get one filter un-stuck once and had to drive a screw driver through it to turn it, that did work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back