alignment issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so some of you have already read about my issues, but I just wanted to ask for your opinions. I will try to keep this simple. I took my truck into firestone after having my alignment knocked out of whack and they found my truck had bad lower ball joints a bad inner tie rod and a also a dry rotted control arm bushing boot that they mentioned to me, but never gave me a quote on. So basically they can just send you on your way and not even check the alignment? I have a lifetime alignment package. My two front tires are completely bald on the edges in 200 miles. The first two tread lines are bald. That's 500 dollars worth of tires. I'm going back tomorrow cause I explained to the guy on the phone more clearly so now apparently they're going to do an alignment so we avoid what already happened until I can put new parts on the truck assuming they even need them. I have an appointment at a good shop, but it takes them a week to get to people, then probably another week to put the parts on. You would think firestone would at least check the alignment instead of just sending you on your way right? I told them it got knocked out of alignment and they still sent me on my way. Do I have any recourse for my two front tires that are all unevenly worn? I guess I should have complained more at the store. idk. What do you guys think? Or is all this my fault? I just think they would have checked it at least.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe I should just have them fix it tomorrow and be done with it then. By the time that other shop gets to it i'll need new tires and a bunch of front end parts. New ball joints every 90,000 miles what [censored].

Originally Posted By: CT8
no

So there is nothing I can do? Is that what you mean? Sorry I wasn't sure. lol

None of the big three can build a ball joint to save their life's. I had a '14 silvarado 3/4 come through the shop. 34k on the clock and one of the uppers were well beyond spec. How does that even happenen?

90k is the high end of what I've seen dodges go at, usually 60-80k... like clockwork

Whatever you do, get the high end replacements, and not cheepies or OEM. Brands like Moog re design them for much improved life, and stand behind what they sell

No, unless its fixed or very minor the tech won't which way to adjust. It will ghost one way then when there is the right tension the numbers will jump

To even get alignment close suspension has to be right.

Also the tire wear you describe sounds an awful bit like bad ball joints. fix the bj's and tie rod before allignment

Nope.

My mechanic used to take all of his customer cars to Firestone for alignments. He did the entire front end on a 98' Chevy Tahoe and lined it up himself and took it to Firestone for the official alignment and at the same time they put 2 brand new tires on the front.

2 months later, 2,000 miles tops the customer calls my mechanic and tells him the Tahoe has gotten to the point where it can't safely be driven on the highway. He brought it over and the front tires were COMPLETELY bald. Like, not a hint of tread left. He also found the collars for the tie rods weren't tightened. The Firestone tech forgot to tighten the adjusting collar's nuts, they were barely hanging on. A tie rod could have fallen off and they could have been killed.

The Tahoe was taken back to Firestone and all they would do is offer $50 off the purchase of 2 more tires and another alignment.

NOPE!

They can't align the truck if the parts are sloppy. The parts have to be in good shape and tight in order to set the alignment. They sent you on your way because somehow they got the idea that you didn't want to replace the parts. A good shop would replace everything in pairs. You should avoid Firestone and find you a real alignment shop.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
They can't align the truck if the parts are sloppy. The parts have to be in good shape and tight in order to set the alignment. They sent you on your way because somehow they got the idea that you didn't want to replace the parts. A good shop would replace everything in pairs. You should avoid Firestone and find you a real alignment shop.

I took it to that shop I had an appointment for and he got the alignment all straightened out. He said one tie rod had some play and one lower ball joint had some play, but nothing that needed any immediate attention. I was able to watch and the guy spent an hour on it so bout 30 minutes into it I realized he was one of those meticulous guys who wanted it perfect so I tipped him 10 dollars and told him how I appreciated people who did good work. The truck feels brand new now and drives straight. The 10 dollars was on top of the money given to the shop for the alignment.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Nope.

My mechanic used to take all of his customer cars to Firestone for alignments. He did the entire front end on a 98' Chevy Tahoe and lined it up himself and took it to Firestone for the official alignment and at the same time they put 2 brand new tires on the front.

2 months later, 2,000 miles tops the customer calls my mechanic and tells him the Tahoe has gotten to the point where it can't safely be driven on the highway. He brought it over and the front tires were COMPLETELY bald. Like, not a hint of tread left. He also found the collars for the tie rods weren't tightened. The Firestone tech forgot to tighten the adjusting collar's nuts, they were barely hanging on. A tie rod could have fallen off and they could have been killed.

The Tahoe was taken back to Firestone and all they would do is offer $50 off the purchase of 2 more tires and another alignment.

NOPE!

I'm just going to avoid the place all together.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
That's why you don't ever go to Firestone for anything!

I won't! haha. Never again!

20 some years ago, a friend had a horrid experience with Firestone. I've never used them, Wouldn't even try. I have 2 local guys that can do anything I can't handle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back