Yamaha vs. Fram TG vs. Bosch vs. Puro oil filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up a '15 Yamaha FZ-07 and in the process of breaking it in… I've gone thru a few oil filters already. I've been using Shell Rotella 15W-40 since the first oil change and use it in my other bikes as well.

First up is the factory Yamaha filter, P/N: 5GH-13440-50-00 (Denso is printed on the side). This was the 1st filter with ~120 miles on it. There wasn't much debris to speak of:

Seems well constructed and has approx. 79 in^2 of filter media. The filter media doesn't have end caps, instead it has glue/plastic coating holding it together. The bypass features a plastic plunger preloaded with a coil spring. It also has an anti-drain back valve, not sure if its nitrile or silicone… but it was still pliable (granted only has 120 miles on it).

Made the switch to a Fram Tough Guard TG7317 filter at 120 miles, this is my 2nd filter with ~230 miles on it:

The Fram TG7317 is decently constructed as well… its a "car" filter at 3.25" long vs. 2.5" for the factory filter, IIRC. It has approx. 127in^2 of filter media. The end caps on the filter media are "cardboard", but they still proved difficult to separate. The bypass features a plastic plunger with a coil spring that takes about the same force to open as the factory filter. However it appears to be made of cheap stamped metal and the plunger was a little "sticky". It also has a silicone ADBV and textured end (easier to spin by hand).

Used the same Fram for my next oil change. Then made the switch to a Bosch 3300 filter at 740 miles, this is 4th filter with ~570 miles on it:

The Bosch 3300 is well constructed… and has approx. 85 in^2 of filter media. The end caps on the filter media are metal and glued in placed. The bypass is built into the end cap and features a metal plunger with a very strong spiral "leaf" spring. The plunger takes a lot more force to open and doesn't open nearly as much as compared to the factory filter. However its worth noting the plunger is much larger and thus would require higher force to open for the same pressure-differential. It also has a silicone ADBV and smooth can, like the factory filter.

At the moment I have a Purolator PureOne PL14612 installed… supposedly its very similar to the Bosch. I can get the Bosch for $4 vs. Purolator for $7 and I could do without the mustard-yellow color of the Purolator as well :) So I might be a Bosch-user from now on.

I dissected these same filters with the exception of the Fram. I was going to upload pics and do a review but you beat me to it!

My findings were similar to yours. I really liked the bosch but I am stuck using OEM now because of the skid plate that I have on my bike.

Thanks for the review either way!

first, second, fourth, where's the third?
48.gif

The Fram 7317 is more like Purolator 14610 and Bosch 3323

The Purolator 14612 and Bosch 3300 are more like the Fram 6607

Why would you go larger with Fram but not with Puro/Bosch?

Originally Posted By: AMC
I dissected these same filters with the exception of the Fram. I was going to upload pics and do a review but you beat me to it!

My findings were similar to yours. I really liked the bosch but I am stuck using OEM now because of the skid plate that I have on my bike.

Thanks for the review either way!

Thanks

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
first, second, fourth, where's the third?
48.gif

The Fram 7317 is more like Purolator 14610 and Bosch 3323

The Purolator 14612 and Bosch 3300 are more like the Fram 6607

Why would you go larger with Fram but not with Puro/Bosch?

Third was the same Fram TG. I got the larger Fram just because that's what they had at Walmart when I was getting Rotella. I don't know whether the larger filter is any better for me since I plan on 3-4k oil changes or when shifting gets notchy. The factory Yamaha filter was of the smaller size...

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Why so few miles on these filters and the factory fill?

New bike, broke-in via "mototune" method... aka hard. I was actually planning on dropping the factory fill (believe Yamalube 5W-30 conventional) at 50 miles, but I racked up 120 in the first day of riding lol. The first few oil changes the oil was super dark and had a "metallic" sheen, as well shifting was getting notchy.

I figured I was riding the bike hard, wanted to experiment with a few filter choices and Rotella was cheap insurance. I plan to run the current oil/filter (Rotella/PureOne) to the end of the season, probably a total of 1-1.5k miles and then switch to a 2-4k interval. Well that's the plan, maybe...

I know people leave filters for multiple OCIs and/or longer oil intervals, but a $4 Bosch filter at each OCI is cheap peace of mind... whether it's necessary is another story. But I'm always open to comments/suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back