My fourth intake manifold leak. Cheap failing cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just had fixed the plastic intake manifold on my 2000 Crown Vic PI (130,000 miles). The place where a hose attached cracked. Over $500 for this repair using the Dormant updated part.
I had replaced a GM 3.8L intake manifold gasket, a plastic part, 4 years ago on a '98 Bonneville (120,000 miles). I also replaced the same gasket on a salvage engine put in this same car a year later.
I replaced an intake manifold gasket on a GM 3.4L (50,000 miles) about 10 years ago.
What is going on with these cheap parts on these American cars. My sisters Avalon has 185,000 miles, never a major repair. I've spent over $2000 fixing just intake manifolds, pretty d*mn sad.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Why do you buy cars with known intake manifold issues?

This^

They are all well known for issues otherwise dorman wouldn't be where it is today

There is a big problem with the GM aftermarket gaskets. All of the plastic ones will fail, you need to buy a metal/rubber frame gasket if you want a permanent fix.

Don't avalons have a rubber oil hose in the (dun dun dun) intake that rots out?

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Don't avalons have a rubber oil hose in the (dun dun dun) intake that rots out?

Not sure on the intake but there was a bad high-pressure oil hose that would rupture on the 2005 generation.

I've really always liked GM, Ford OK too, but when I sat down and figured out my cost (I don't do the work myself, hire it done) I was quite surprised. Many engines have their own particular issues certainly though some have very few compared to others, but anyway, I very much like the GM 3.8L other than this but won't buy it again in a used car because of this. Its a shame. Did use the updated gaskets when fixing it too at least on the 3.8, new intake on the 4.6.

Last edited:
Hey, it isn't just GM. Tons of Corollas/Matrixes/Vibes have or had IM gasket leaks. Common issue and very annoying as the replacement gaskets weren't always reliable either.

I'm not a fan of plastic manifolds myself. Or Dorman for that matter.

Originally Posted By: MikeHigg
(I don't do the work myself, hire it done)

If you don't have the ability to work on an older vehicle, then don't buy them. All of the cars you listed are high mileage older beaters, and at that age things will fail.

Older cars will require more work to keep them maintained.

I agree frustrating when a simple cheaply made part fails & cost you $1000 because of the labor or damage done. This is especially so when you have powertrain that can run 200,000 mile plus. You want to find that engineer/ manufacture team responsible for the change & some cheap part or poor design causing thousands of others frustration.

I don't think this is limited to any certain auto maker. It seems you either have a vehicle that has a few dumb faults or one that the one time it breaks was so stupidly designed they have to pull it apart to fix!.

I feel some brands like yota are running on reputation of reliability, but seem to be keeping their servicemen busy also?

Originally Posted By: rrguy
I agree frustrating when a simple cheaply made part fails & cost you $1000 because of the labor or damage done. This is especially so when you have powertrain that can run 200,000 mile plus. You want to find that engineer/ manufacture team responsible for the change & some cheap part or poor design causing thousands of others frustration.

I don't think this is limited to any certain auto maker. It seems you either have a vehicle that has a few dumb faults or one that the one time it breaks was so stupidly designed they have to pull it apart to fix!.

I feel some brands like yota are running on reputation of reliability, but seem to be keeping their servicemen busy also?

This is all true... Plus the OEM just wants it (unfortunately - back in the day ) to just be good enough to get it out of warranty... not good enough for "lifetime" durability like they could be.. but would charge us more for it..

FYI... this would fix you 3.8 L GM plastic UPPER INTAKE for good where they usually fail

http://www.amazon.com/Manifold-Repair-Kit-95-03-engine/dp/B005E5A1GY

BurrWinder

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rrguy

They are probably busier than Mitsu dealers who aren't selling much.

Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
Don't use Dorman. Use the OEM GM revised gaskets...

+1 I had mine replaced while under the GM certified warranty using these and have never had an issue since.

Originally Posted By: B20z
Hey, it isn't just GM. Tons of Corollas/Matrixes/Vibes have or had IM gasket leaks. Common issue and very annoying as the replacement gaskets weren't always reliable either.

I'm not a fan of plastic manifolds myself. Or Dorman for that matter.

4-cylinder Corolla intake manifold gasket is an $8 part and a 20-minute job. Easiest one I've ever done.

I'm going to defend American cars once again. Very few have this issue, and from my experience, domestics are the better choice. I had an '04 Impala (had the upgrade, so no intake issues) but even if it had a $500 repair, the rest of the car was solid, got good gas mileage, and was comfortable to drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back