Subaru - why all the good press?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: madRiver
That is something the Subaru AWD and other top tier AWD prevail at. Many top tier AWD are very expensive and Subaru is exception to that rule in base models across line.

However as you found majority of time not needed unless you live in tough conditions.

So how would a Subaru fix that predicament. Basically the worst combination for any AWD system. Loss of traction from opposite sides of the vehicle. Outside of a locking differential (which IIRC Subaru doesn't offer) you;d be screwed either way as the center diff would be sending power both directions and the open or LSD's would be trying to get that other side to bite.

The Ford system is quite good - it uses brakes to help out but in this extreme situation it couldn't get me going.

Originally Posted By: itguy08
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
If you want a relatively inexpensive car and really need (or want) AWD, there aren't any other viable choices out there.
An AWD Subie is magic in the winter and has more off-road capability than many competing pretenders.

Ignoring the fact that just about every manufacturer offers a capable AWD vehicle that probably meets or exceeds Subaru. IMHO a lot of their "magic" is more high ground clearance (see how high Subies sit vs others). The other piece is an AWD system that can route power to the slipping wheel. Something that Haldex has been offering for years now.

Don't get me wrong, I think Subarus are nice cars. But magical they ain't.

I can say that my lowly Ford with AWD does very well in the slippery stuff. Plant the throttle and off it goes. Only time I've gotten "stuck" was on our quite steep driveway where I had the rear driver's and front passenger's wheel spinning on ice. A crazy combo for any AWD system to handle. Luckily a running start fixed that.

I wanted a midsized sedan with AWD. In Ford's infinite wisdom they only offered AWD in their top-of-the line $30,000plus Fusion when I was looking. I don't know if that's still the case or not. That's why I didn't buy one. Subaru offers AWD in all trim models. I purchased a Subaru Legacy with every option except NAV for several thousands less than the Ford Fusion.Even tho we had a mild winter last year-the Legacy never skipped a beat even with tires that should have been replaced prior to the winter months.
Their all wheel drive system explained-because your leaving out key points:
http://www.manchestersubaru.com/subaru-symmetrical-all-wheel-drive.htm

Last edited:
I think I got it. Marketing materials aside they basically took the pickup/Jeep style and integrated it into the transmission. It's also different in that it always sends some power to the rear.

Seems to be a blending of truck like features in a car.

Originally Posted By: itguy08
I think I got it. Marketing materials aside they basically took the pickup/Jeep style and integrated it into the transmission. It's also different in that it always sends some power to the rear.

Seems to be a blending of truck like features in a car.

Yep-you wouldn't have needed a running start with a Subaru!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back