Why America is anti-metric

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely... It's really exceptionally difficult
smile.gif

I do think in my area they manage to do OK.. I know my local climatology very well and that helps a lot. But you are right on with that analysis.

Originally Posted By: ctrcbob
We Americans are too dumb or lazy to learn the metric system, even though metric is so much easier.

But you've had metric money forever! What's hard about 100 cents in a dollar? Metric money is very easy, I grew up learning pounds, shillings and pence - 12 pennies to a shilling, 20 shillings to a pound, we had to work out compound interest at school. We changed to metric money in 1967, that was overnight - found my wife's father's business books a few months ago, at one point they were doing both. We went metric gradually in the '70's, it's all good.

Originally Posted By: Silk
Originally Posted By: ctrcbob
We Americans are too dumb or lazy to learn the metric system, even though metric is so much easier.

But you've had metric money forever! What's hard about 100 cents in a dollar? Metric money is very easy, I grew up learning pounds, shillings and pence - 12 pennies to a shilling, 20 shillings to a pound, we had to work out compound interest at school. We changed to metric money in 1967, that was overnight - found my wife's father's business books a few months ago, at one point they were doing both. We went metric gradually in the '70's, it's all good.

Learning is easy. Thinking it is hard, I know the units, but when I had my bicycle odometer set to km, I would take a 50km ride, think about how far it had been, and just convert it to 36 miles. That I understood, not 50km.

Once decimals were added, and the fraction math went away, it didn't matter so much about the base unit. I think bolt heads and carpentry might be the only trades using fractions? I'm not sure.

Originally Posted By: raytseng
The Apollo computer system used metric units internally though...
only the displays were in US units.

Indeed. Which UoM was used with the engineers' slide rules?
smile.gif

I find it funny that the metric system is supposed to be the same worldwide, yet in Japanese cars, most pressure units are in Kg/Cm^2, whereas in German cars, pressure units are usually in BAR.

Originally Posted By: splinter
Originally Posted By: raytseng
The Apollo computer system used metric units internally though...
only the displays were in US units.

Indeed. Which UoM was used with the engineers' slide rules?
smile.gif

Is this a trick question, involving the country of origin of the Project Paperclip stars who were instrumental in the US space programme ?

When I lived in Germany, plumbing was also still in inches.

There will always be such odd contradictions in the world.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
The one thing I've never understood is tire sizes, where you have the tire's width measured in millimeters, but the wheel's diameter measured in inches.

that was a car talk puzzler @ one time; it appears Europe has not completely converted either; so an argument really comes down to the 'degree' people have abandoned the "English units" lol

I would like a 60mm 48 degree hemi cam with .500" lobe lift please.
Would you like your push-rods in metric or inches?

How many grains of RL22 powder behind a 220 grain Sierra in a 325 WSM?
Why not just say 8MM WSM?
Because Americans hate the metric system.
Hakoonamatata.

True... Except in the medical field.... And let me tell you all this.. And you all who know the metric system know this VERY WELL... Decimal point moving one place to the left or the right makes a huge difference. By the power of ten. That can kill someone. And has done so.

Especially in your field bbhero.
The 767 Gimli Glider story is another example of just that.
I remember that when it happened, as a friend of my parents was a pilot for Air Canada (formerly TCA) at the time.
I lost a few friends when a 737 hit a snow plow at the Kimberly/Cranbrook airport in December 1977.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
The one thing I've never understood is tire sizes, where you have the tire's width measured in millimeters, but the wheel's diameter measured in inches.

There are metric rim sizes, Citroens and some other French cars had fully metric tyres, Michelin always. Imperial tyres sizes were for crossply tyres, metric sizes are for radials, because the French invented and developed them...Michelin, they might've been fully metric too.

Originally Posted By: used_0il
Especially in your field bbhero.
The 767 Gimli Glider story is another example of just that.

This is what happens when someone has absolutely no aptitude or feel for what they are doing. Blindly believing the result of a bad calculation. They should have known how long it takes to fill a tank for a flight that long and realized somethingwas wrong.

They probably went on engineering toolbox and used a formula inappropriate for the application. I've seen a guy here do that and believe a ridiculously low oil pump HP number.

Well said used oil and turtlevette... I watched a movie about a young child who lost their life WAY too early because people were off by a power of ten. Involved was ratio: proportion. Extremely important to know the difference between 1:100 vs 1:1000. Huge. And it happens.

My hat is off the nursing and hospital staff who have to deal with the grieving family after everyone else has gone home.

And then .....at the end of the day, who is there to give you a hug?

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
They probably went on engineering toolbox and used a formula inappropriate for the application. I've seen a guy here do that and believe a ridiculously low oil pump HP number.

And I'm still waiting for you to publish the correct figures, and how you obtained them...and give me that thermo lesson that you keep promising...in Oz slang you would be called all froth, no beer.,

Originally Posted By: Shannow

And I'm still waiting for you to publish the correct figures, and how you obtained them...and give me that thermo lesson that you keep promising...in Oz slang you would be called all froth, no beer.,

Don't you think it would be easier to find someone who measured it, like Melling? I gave you a thermo lesson using your circ water system as an example.

You're good at searching, find the right number and own up to your mistake.

I work with both imperial and metric measurements on a daily basis. House plans tend to be imperial,anything multi-unit or commercial is metric. It drives my manpower nuts.
So I take all the metric plans and re-write everything into imperial. Then I figure out all the cut lists into imperial.
So my guys have no choice but to do as instructed because if they even unroll the cartoons everything is metric and they have no idea what they are looking at. Keeps the worker bees doing their part while management directs traffic.
I can work with either system equally however for simplicity I prefect imperial.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

Don't you think it would be easier to find someone who measured it, like Melling? I gave you a thermo lesson using your circ water system as an example.

You're good at searching, find the right number and own up to your mistake.

You sure you aren't a politician. Your very good at making claims but not following thru,at starting something you can't finish and generally making things worse of then when you started.
Shannow's reputation is impeccable and his lessons are bar none accurate so If you can find real fault with anything he's posted I suggest you do it.

Otherwise as already mentioned it's all froth and no beer. And the keg has been empty for quite some time.
Did you have enough time to copy and paste someone else's work yet to back up your assertions,or do you need more time,or a larger search engine.
Try Bing

Being totally honest used oil... We have each other and our family. And tell you the truth.... Being there for others is difficult but it is a humbling experience that helps one understand our purpose in being here. I've been very blessed to have been able to help some people out in their greatest time of need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back