Need help -- wood stain spilled on truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
My daughter tossed a can of dark brown wood stain in the bed of my white pickup, and the cans lid came loose. The stain has run the length of the bed in three of the channels, then spread out to run into the drain holes just behind the cab. We did not discover it until the end of the next sun baked day. HP Car wash is not really budging it so far, any ideas? Thanks.

If it's oil-based, mineral spirits may remove it without damaging the paint. Be quick and wash it away when done.

More powerful solvents may damage the paint, so tread carefully. It might just be time to sand it away and get a nice spray-in bed liner.

As mentioned mineral spirits will take it right off. Follow up with a good wash and wax.

Paint thinner is worthless, lacquer thinner will get off most and not harm paint usually and acetone will clean everything but will keep going through the good paint. I've had extremely good luck with kerosine, it cuts through stuff really well but doesn't seem to be hard on paint and plastic.

Originally Posted By: RedOakRanch
Paint thinner is worthless, lacquer thinner will get off most and not harm paint usually and acetone will clean everything but will keep going through the good paint. I've had extremely good luck with kerosine, it cuts through stuff really well but doesn't seem to be hard on paint and plastic.

For oil based stain paint thinner should work just fine. Lacquer thinner might damage the clear coat and the paint. It is always best to work with something mild first, and work up from there. Paint thinner would be my first choice for stain.

Oil based wood stain sun baked into bed of white truck, ouch.

I don't think it will clean up.

Repaint it white or do the spray-on bed liner, or better yet, don't worry about it.

Update: Living in a rural area, I am trying to use what I have on hand. I tried some "no vapors" Mineral Spirits. Its looks like milk and is totally useless, even after a soak and vigorous scrubbing.

Next step up is a random can of engine degreaser. I sprayed, waited for 5 min., then scrubbed. The wood stain is starting to loosen. I sprayed again, and drove to HP car wash. Was able to remove about 70-80%.

Will try the lacquer thinner next. Thanks to all who voiced realistic suggestions.

Paint thinner would be the next step up, then lacquer thinner. I would keep going up the ladder. You may need to do a little compounding to get the last bit of stain out of it.

Yeah, I think this is a good excuse to get a spray-in liner...

Hide it beneath the rails if youre worried about the image of a pure white truck.

I,too, would not go any harsher than real mineral spirits (not the faux product you tried).

If you manage to soften the clear coat with stronger solvents, you might embed the stain into the clear coat, making you problem worse.

At your current 70-80% success, I would also try rubbing it with a strong cleaner wax product like Nufinish or a very safe compound like Meqiuars Ultimate.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Update: Living in a rural area, I am trying to use what I have on hand. I tried some "no vapors" Mineral Spirits. Its looks like milk and is totally useless, even after a soak and vigorous scrubbing.

Next step up is a random can of engine degreaser. I sprayed, waited for 5 min., then scrubbed. The wood stain is starting to loosen. I sprayed again, and drove to HP car wash. Was able to remove about 70-80%.

Will try the lacquer thinner next. Thanks to all who voiced realistic suggestions.

Mineral spirits is clear, not a milk color. The milk color indicates something is wrong with the product, like water got into it, or it was mixed or replaced with something else. Or maybe you just got a bad batch, which I've never seen or heard of. I would try a fresh can of mineral spirits, especially now that you've gotten most of the stain off. Those clear coats are good, but they can't stand up to harsh chemicals for very long.

I've always had better luck with real turpentine than mineral spirits. It seems more active in my experiences with finishing.

Maybe try a bit of automotive paint cleaner (like Mother's) on any remaining.

Last edited:
That was it exactly. 100% useless.

Another "great" environmentally friendly junk product that was a waste of $8. I got it at WalMart about a year ago.

That was it exactly. 100% useless.

Another "great" environmentally friendly junk product that was a waste of $8. I got it at WalMart about a year ago.

I hear ya. Usually when its low VOC, low odor, and a high price the product sucks. I was lucky enough to get a free sample. I forgot the product existed until this thread reminded me.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Mineral spirits is clear, not a milk color. The milk color indicates something is wrong with the product, like water got into it, or it was mixed or replaced with something else. Or maybe you just got a bad batch, which I've never seen or heard of. I would try a fresh can of mineral spirits, especially now that you've gotten most of the stain off. Those clear coats are good, but they can't stand up to harsh chemicals for very long.
Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Dermapaint , there IS some type of milky white pseudo product labeled as mineral spirits. Read the reviews of this useless product:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Klean-Strip-1-qt-Green-Odorless-Mineral-Spirits-QKGO75001/100677235

There is a low odor mineral spirit product and its milky looking.
Yes i don't know what it is , but it sucks. He needs to get real mineral spirits, not the low odor junk. ( this stuff leaves something on the brushes you can't get off with out real mineral spirts).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back