"Core Temp" - CPU Temperature Monitoring

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have that installed on my PC.

Seems to work fine. I used it when I was overclocking or trying out a new HSF. Haven't used it years.

The newer suggestion is to try hwmonitor. Do a couple googles on this

Depending on your mobo and cpu there are different temp sensors so you need to be sure you kbow which sensor you're measuring and what it means.

For example when you apply load to an intel cpu, the sensor in the core can immediately spike to 50c no matter what kind of cooling setup you have, and thats not necessarily an indication of a problem

Once you see how all the sensors map then perhaps you can choose to use coretemp for monitoring

Last edited:
HWINFO has a 'sensors only' option, as well as the ability to view max, min, and average temps, voltages, etc. It has a data logging feature, too.

Mods - sorry, I just noticed I posted this in the wrong forum. Please move to Computers if you can, thanks.

Its hit or miss depending on your CPU.
Mine reads 0 on an AMD CPU- modern but worked great on others.

Core temp used to be the go to option especially for Intel but it's always reading low, especially on newer Amd chips. HW Monitor is more accurate and shows the cpu tin temp needed for Amd chips.

If I had a socket 775 chip I'd use core temp though.

Motherboard monitor 5, I think there is still a small niche group still supporting it.

I like Core Temp because it puts your temps in the taskbar in the lower left on the screen so you can always keep an eye on them. I don't think HWmonitor has that feature.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
I like Core Temp because it puts your temps in the taskbar in the lower left on the screen so you can always keep an eye on them.

And for those looking for a similar function on Linux, check out Psensor.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
I like Core Temp because it puts your temps in the taskbar in the lower left on the screen so you can always keep an eye on them.

And for those looking for a similar function on Linux, check out Psensor.

Off the top of my head, I'll bet Conky and some scripts calling data from something as simple as lm_sensors would work. I'd wager that there are even plugins for various system trays for KDE, Gnome and XFCE that display temps, among other things.

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
Off the top of my head, I'll bet Conky and some scripts calling data from something as simple as lm_sensors would work.

Yes, Psensor pulls data from lm_sensors, I believe. It also provides graphical reporting/trending tools over time, if needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back