Smart Car

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found the single-clutch auto-manual transmission to be too "lurchy" for my liking. I had really wanted to like this cute little car but in the end I felt a little Fiat 500 was better suited to my needs.

You have to admit the Smart did fairly well in crash testing. Notice it didn't even bust the windshield. Even hit head on by a tank S Class Benz.

slomo

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Originally Posted By: Kuato
Originally Posted By: Miller88
$20k for a 2 seater with zero storage space and it gets poor gas mileage. I'll take a fit , mirage, spark ....

Legacy, Impreza, Golf, Jetta...
I

Those are bigger though

... and yet, ALL get better fuel economy than the Smart FourTwo

I used to see a few diesel smart cars used for 55mph road commuting. Haven't seen them in a while so maybe they had a scare in the snow one day, or just bought an old Echo.

Originally Posted By: earlyre
i would actually consider one of these for my next commuter vehicle, mainly b/c of the ride height.
I replaced my neon b/c it was just too low. my folks couldn't get in/out of it, and i was starting to feel like i was squatting to get in it, and having to hoist myself out.

I love the driving dynamics of a small car, but dang it, if they aren't all low to the ground.

until someone makes something that drives like a mini,( a proper mini, not a bmw mini) but sits up like my sable... the closest i've been able to think of with is a smart.
(mind you the neon is the smallest car i've ever driven. never actually driven a mini, or a smart....how high does the fiat 500 ride?)

For the first time I saw one for sure it looked funny, but now they are so common around town, mostly driven by young girls.
As for 500, yes driver does sit higher in those in comparison with a MINI. It's also a smaller car (city or A compact vs supermini/B compact). It handles good, and it's a fun car. MINI is better over bumps due to its longer wheelbase, but it lacks that small car feel since it isn't a small car anymore now.
Great commuter car for yours needs would be a new Panda, but that's not available in NA.

Originally Posted By: chrisri
Originally Posted By: earlyre
i would actually consider one of these for my next commuter vehicle, mainly b/c of the ride height.
I replaced my neon b/c it was just too low. my folks couldn't get in/out of it, and i was starting to feel like i was squatting to get in it, and having to hoist myself out.

I love the driving dynamics of a small car, but dang it, if they aren't all low to the ground.

until someone makes something that drives like a mini,( a proper mini, not a bmw mini) but sits up like my sable... the closest i've been able to think of with is a smart.
(mind you the neon is the smallest car i've ever driven. never actually driven a mini, or a smart....how high does the fiat 500 ride?)

For the first time I saw one for sure it looked funny, but now they are so common around town, mostly driven by young girls.
As for 500, yes driver does sit higher in those in comparison with a MINI. It's also a smaller car (city or A compact vs supermini/B compact). It handles good, and it's a fun car. MINI is better over bumps due to its longer wheelbase, but it lacks that small car feel since it isn't a small car anymore now.
Great commuter car for yours needs would be a new Panda, but that's not available in NA.

I would love to get my hands on a Panda... everything i've seen of them seems...Perfect. To me anyhow...

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Originally Posted By: jcwit

Why can't these small cars do better?

For three reasons.

One, government has increased the requirements with newer vehicles. This includes safety and emissions, both of which penalize fuel economy.

Two, the average consumer expects cars nowadays to do more than cars of 20 years ago. This makes cars heavier.

Three, the automakers increase the content of vehicles, whether people want it or not. This too makes vehicles heavier.

01.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back