Harley Superpremium 5 cut open 4100 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just pulled this out of my '00 Road King, mostly stock TC88 motor. I ran Rotella 15w40 for 4100 miles. Everything looked great on the filter, no tears, media was still pliable. And no grit whatsoever in the can or the media (what you see on the pics is dust from my dremel cutter). The light spots on the media, hard to describe but those are where oil was kind of squished out of the media, like if you pinch a wet sponge it moves around.

I was actually going to do a longer run on this OCI but I lost my nerve now that the summer heat has really set in. It's freekin hot out and I decided to go to the Valvoline 4T Syn 20w50 that I got on clearance a few months ago ($3 a qt!). I put another Harley SP5 in as well, I'm thinking that filter can go double what I did this OCI.

FWIW I really like the Rotella, I know appearance doesn't mean much but FWIW it didn't look all that beat up when it drained, still had plenty of viscosity and wasn't burned or anything. I still have it in the primary, feels great on the clutch.

Enjoy the pron!

IMG_0784.jpg
IMG_0784.jpg
IMG_0782.jpg
IMG_0781.jpg
IMG_0780.jpg

Looks nice:

RE: the white spots: on the virgin one I cut when I peeled the layers there is a very thin layer on the top. I think that is what those are, there are present in both of the used one I've cut open.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Looks nice:

RE: the white spots: on the virgin one I cut when I peeled the layers there is a very thin layer on the top. I think that is what those are, there are present in both of the used one I've cut open.

Yeah that's exactly what it looked like, a thin layer on top that gets a gap under it if you press on it. Easy to see when there's some dirty oil squishing around.

Granted, there's plenty of media there.... but I'm not sure how impressed I am with what appears to be fairly large voids in the media.

That's actually a fantastic looking filter. Made by champion like the ultras and RP aren't they?

I have a wix version I'm using but will be some time before I cut it.wix makes theirs to the same spec
all glass media as well.

I put in the same HD SP5 for this go around too since I already had one on hand, but I plan on running it quite a bit longer than last time. I've not decided how long I want this OCI to be, but one way or another I'll probably go up around 10k on this filter. I'm a long OCI/FCI guy anyway, but especially on the Harley since it spills oil all over the cases/regulator/wiring harnesses when you take off the filter. I spend more time cleaning it afterwards than on the actual oil change.

How many miles are you going to put on that Wix?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back