Backing into parking spots

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's become a habit of mine to reverse into parking spaces and my garage. This seems to surprise many of my friends & family whenever we're out together. They say it's impressive and they find it difficult to do. I always thought backing into spots was a basic driving skill. Sure, you can choose if you want to do it or not but at least you are able to do it if necessary.

What do you guys think? Is backing into a spot seen as a difficult task for many people, similar to parallel parking?

Last edited:
I think it really boils down to location of where you live/ norm driving/parking styles...

If u don't do it like even once a month, every 2 weeks, etc - it's not part of your driving skillset..

Last edited:
i think if it is practiced a few times with the appropriate training and tips it can be learned quite quickly, much easier than parallel parking.

It just depends on familiarizing yourself with the technique and how to position yourself to setup your final destination 1 move away .

If it's not practiced, or taught then of course it'll seem like magic.

When you back into your garage the catalyst is warm and the smoke you drive over isn't noxious. When you back out, first thing in the morning, it's stinkier.

I do, my wife does, and my next door neighbor switched to reversing in. There's a blind spot on one side of my driveway, next to a school. I feel I'll stand a better chance of seeing a kid on a sidewalk this way, which I can see well by forwarding out.

Other than that it's been a thing since I started to drive. With narrow 2 car garages both cars can get more access to driver side doors if one reverses in. At work with environmentally-driven minispace parking, I reverse in to the space next to a concrete separator, giving more space for my driver door as well as the car next to me.

The company I work for is very safety oriented so they really push the idea of backing into a parking space whenever it is practical to do so. Of course pulling through is recommended when possible. However, another section of our corporate policy states to avoid backing your vehicle unless absolutely necessary, and to seek help from a spotter or place traffic cones before backing. Typical Corp [censored]. Personally, I think backing into a parking space between two parked vehicles is less safe than just pulling straight in as is typically done. When you back out you are going into a wide isle and people aren't surprised by this activity, whereas stopping to back into a spot can catch other drivers by surprise as it is not commonly done.

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
I always back into any parking space I use.

Me too. It makes for a quick getaway. When the zombies come, I'll be the first one out while the rest of you livestock are being snacked upon.

Muahahahaha.

I do it for efficiency pretty much everywhere I go. It's about fuel economy.

Bonus points for pointing the nose downhill..."potential parking"

Originally Posted By: LotI
I do it for efficiency pretty much everywhere I go. It's about fuel economy.

Bonus points for pointing the nose downhill..."potential parking"

I am curious what does backing into the sport have anything to do with fuel economy?

Originally Posted By: mtndew_dad
The company I work for is very safety oriented so they really push the idea of backing into a parking space whenever it is practical to do so. Of course pulling through is recommended when possible. However, another section of our corporate policy states to avoid backing your vehicle unless absolutely necessary, and to seek help from a spotter or place traffic cones before backing. Typical Corp [censored]. Personally, I think backing into a parking space between two parked vehicles is less safe than just pulling straight in as is typically done. When you back out you are going into a wide isle and people aren't surprised by this activity, whereas stopping to back into a spot can catch other drivers by surprise as it is not commonly done.

The company I work for is safety conscious as well. They said it's safer to back in as after you pass the space you know its clear since you just went past it. Then pulling out you have 100% visibility of what is in front of you vs that small rear window and limited visibility.

I find when I'm driving the truck I will almost always back in. In the car, not so much.

At places like the grocery store I'll just pull through so I don't need to back at all. At other places where that's not an option (such as a small strip mall) I'll always back in and pull out. I always park at the far end of the lot even if it's fairly empty-I like the extra exercise the walk gives me and it keeps me away from the vultures who circle around looking for the closest parking spot. At home I always back into the garage, and when I drive the pickup I usually back it into the shop.

Years ago when I was on the farm I'd always back the trucks and equipment into the shed. It made it far easier the next time it was used to just pull out, and when pulling up it was easier to scan the area that you were going to back into rather than backing out somewhat blind through the barn doors.

I've always been surprised at the number of people who can't back with just their mirrors, and who can't do simple maneuvers such as parallel park. In my humble opinion, if one can't handle the basics like that one has no business getting a license.

I most of the time just pull into a spot and back out. What always gets me is those people that back in when they don't know how to back into a spot. Do they end up over the line into the next spot and just leaving it like that.

I don't know why anyone would find it hard to do. You have to back the vehicle at some point unless you drive through to a spot where the vehicle is facing out.

At work, I usually back into spots because the parking area I use most often is crowded and busy, and many disabled/wrecked cars are left there for the body shop. There's no telling how other cars will be oriented after several hours, so it's better to be facing out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back