Finally found a good automatic battery charger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well after my diehard dh15a (rebranded Schumacher I believe) has been performing poorly for me, cooking my batteries with as much as 16.2+v during bulk charge I ended up finding a really nice automatic charger.

I got a Pro-Logix PL2320, which has tons of features for the price. It does 20/10/2 amp charging, both 6/12v, agm,gel,wet cells and is even temperature compensated!

I watched carefully as it charged an older 58R Exide based battery from 2009 that has been having some issues charging. It did not ever go above 14.7v in bulk mode which is about perfect. It successfully recovered the battery where my other charger would not and went from not being able to start the car to putting out about 400 cranking amps back from the dead.

Was also very impressed with how quiet it is even charging at 20 amps. It is fan cooled but it never got warm for me.

It also has something I've never seen before which is an exercise mode, where after finalizing the charge it puts a load on the battery and restarts. It will do this every 4 days or whenever the voltage gets to a certain point. That would make this a great battery maintainer that can be hooked up indefinitely.

I am really excited about it, I wish I had more batteries to charge.

I didn't even know about these chargers until I started looking for a temperature compensated charger, which is very hard in this price range. They are made by Clore Automotive which makes those jump and carry booster packs, I almost bought one of those before too and thought that's all they made.

If anyone is looking for a nice charger or maintainer I would highly recommend this based on my testing so far. It's really light years ahead of the store bought junk I've been using in the past.

Here's what it looks like.

503_PL2320_A3.jpg

I was looking at their website and they even have models available with a 100 amp jump start assistance mode, pretty cool stuff.

I have one.Charged a number of batteries in the year+ I have had it.Its great unit.I like the percent of charge readout,and in one case it told me a battery was not chargeable (I knew it but tried anyway).Its a smart unit!

Heck yeah !! Good deal indeed
smile.gif

Thanks as always for good to know info. Rockin the show as always !

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Heck yeah !! Good deal indeed
smile.gif

Thanks as always for good to know info. Rockin the show as always !

Yeah considering I paid $50 for a diehard/Schumacher that was cooking my batteries, $77 is a bargain for this charger.

Wording on the Box...

"Designed and Engineered in the USA and manufactured in China to Clore's specifications"

FWIW - i don't care if it's made in China if it charges my battery perfectly without abusing it.

Well, there are few here who would be snickering at it because it is MIC. I will give them opportunity to come forward on their own.

I use a 1957 PACO car radio power supply(for bench repair)... Set it at a couple amps which is around 14.5v, never a issue...

If I want to revive one, I'll crank it to max(around 24v), and wait till batt starts drawing current, probably half will at least be useable...

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Wording on the Box...

"Designed and Engineered in the USA and manufactured in China to Clore's specifications"

FWIW - i don't care if it's made in China if it charges my battery perfectly without abusing it.

My question for you: If there is an identical charger made in USA that costs 40-50% more, which would you buy ?

Personally, I would choose made in USA model but as of now the only available one is made in China, so there isn't much choice.

I posted on this same charger a year, or two ago on the tool forum. It is a great charger. I like the voltage/percent of charge display. Having 7 batteries, I use it a lot in the winter moving it from one vehicle to another every week, or so. It has probably paid for itself already maintaining batteries. I believe it also has a function to charge a dead AGM, which normal chargers see as a direct short, and trip out. I even take it to my parents house a couple times over the winter, and put it on their car for a few days, while they are in the south.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Wording on the Box...

My question for you: If there is an identical charger made in USA that costs 40-50% more, which would you buy ?

Personally, I would choose made in USA model but as of now the only available one is made in China, so there isn't much choice.

I haven't come across a charger that has these features for even close to the price, do you know of any? Even if you do find one they may over charge the batteries.

My diehard dh15a said it was a good automatic charger and wouldn't over charge my batteries yet my simple testing equipment proved that what's on the box doesn't matter if it can't deliver.

I didn't know about the country of origin before I got it but it's performance speaks for itself at least for me .

I want to get a good hydrometer as well to verify the chargers performance.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

I haven't come across a charger that has these features for even close to the price, do you know of any? Even if you do find one they may over charge the batteries.

I didn't know about the country of origin before I got it but it's performance speaks for itself at least for me .

I want to get a good hydrometer as well to verify the chargers performance.

No, I haven't find any charger as good as what you described.

It was a hypothetical question. I value and like to buy parts/equipments/tools made in USA or first world countries, but sometimes there isn't much choice and you just have to buy/use whatever is best for you.

I would like to be clear that I am not criticizing your purchasing decision, country of origin is an importance factor, but it is not the only factor.

I just looked at the 4 smart phones(3 Apple 6 and 1 Samsung) I bought for my family couple months ago, they are all made in China. What are the choices do I have ?

If there is any misunderstanding about my post, I am sorry.

Yes we all love good made in the USA stuff including myself.

No hard feelings about the post I just thought maybe you knew of a specific charger like the one you alluded to that was made in the USA with similar features

I think the wording on the box about being designed and engineered in the USA and being built to their specifications is key here. They are just using the cheaper labor, not the cheaper specifications, engineering and design, since that is what it takes these days compete in the market without going bankrupt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back