could an STP oil filter go 10k oci?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We had an STP S8A on our Ranger for about 7k-ish, it actually looked pretty darn good when I cut it open. Wouldn't intentionally use a cheap-o ecore for more than 5k though.

I have no doubt it could go 10k.
Ive used LuberFiner ecores on here at 10k, as well as them in my 05 Ranger for 7.5k with no issues.

Just wondering if the consensus on e cores has changed.

Seems like a poor choice for an intentional 10k filter run to me. I personally wouldn't run an ecore any further than it was to drive to buy a proper filter.

I'd suggest a Tough Guard. If you want a bargain priced filter for 10k, then Motorcraft.

Originally Posted By: GumbyJarvis
Microgards in stock for my car are ecores

I thought they had switched to Wix-supplied now.

Maybe the OR here has new-old stock of microgards. They still say made in China and are ecores. So more than likely not wix.

Luberfiners and STP filters are almost identical. And both say "for OEM intervals" on the boxes. My car says 10k under normal conditions.

My Oil Change indicator goes off on a From Ultra/TG or Bosch/Puro at around 7.5k. Luberfiner always at 10,050 mi or so.

Idk. Maybe the flow rate? Even dealers can't order the OEM Filter. They always use an ecore Luberfiner if I purchase from them. Rockauto when you order the part sends a MANN (Which makes the air filters and such for Mopar now since Fiat made the purchase)

I wouldn't use them past 5k if I even could bring myself to do that.
Filters are cheap,just buy a good one and don't fool with ecores.

An STP oil filter can easily go 10,000 miles....

as long as the first 5,000 miles are riding in the trunk.

I view them as a 5,000 mile and done filter in applications that are not tough on oil filters.

In fact, with a Wix built Microgard available at O'Reilly's for the same price, I can't see any reason to buy a STP oil filter.

If you are going for 10,000 mile OCI's, use a premium filter and a EP synthetic oil.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
An STP oil filter can easily go 10,000 miles....as long as the first 5,000 miles are riding in the trunk. I view them as a 5,000 mile and done filter in applications that are not tough on oil filters. In fact, with a Wix built Microgard available at O'Reilly's for the same price, I can't see any reason to buy a STP oil filter. If you are going for 10,000 mile OCI's, use a premium filter and a EP synthetic oil.
I fully agree with these thoughts. Back in 2012, I cut open a pre-WIX Microgard (I think it was a rebadged FRAM) and an STP here. I would not use either of them for a 10K OCI.

Apparently BITOG members love to tear their Purolators by running them past the recommended 3k OCI. Lets see some STP examples, I approve the use of 10k OCI's.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Seems like a poor choice for an intentional 10k filter run to me. I personally wouldn't run an ecore any further than it was to drive to buy a proper filter.

I'd suggest a Tough Guard. If you want a bargain priced filter for 10k, then Motorcraft.

I second this. No way would I run an e-core for 10k deliberately. Either of the above is a much better choice.

Having said that, you'll still probably be okay, but I would not do this on purpose.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
Apparently BITOG members love to tear their Purolators by running them past the recommended 3k OCI. Lets see some STP examples, I approve the use of 10k OCI's.

Only time Purolator recommends a 3K filter change is when there is no vehicle manufacturer recommendation. Note the "OR" in their use statement.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey

They still tore even within 3000 miles; the tearing happens in the first 1000 miles if not almost immediately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back