Headlight Polish/Cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All,

My Daughter has just become the proud owner of a 2004 Hyundai Elantra with "Cloudy" headlights.

What's the "Easiest and Best" way to polish them ?

Thanks.

My headlights were very cloudy so I bought the 3M headlight restoration kit and used with my power drill. It worked great. I use Scratch Out every few months to maintain the "clear".

Originally Posted By: Leo99
My headlights were very cloudy so I bought the 3M headlight restoration kit and used with my power drill. It worked great. I use Scratch Out every few months to maintain the "clear".

I have also used the 3M kit. It works amazingly well.

As I understand it, after clearing the headlight, you need to use some type of sealer to prevent it from going foggy again. I believe any type of sealer/UV blocker should work. My headlights are clear, but I periodically go over it with some 303 Aerospace Protectant. I don't know if it helps, or if they simply haven't started going foggy yet, but I hope it at least helps delay it from happening.

See post from Trav in the Lighting forum with subject "Removing haze from headlights". I just did the headlights on a 2005 Odyssey and they look excellent following Trav's directions. I used a foam backed 3000 grit sanding disc on a Porter Cable random orbital sander, cleaned with alcohol wipe and than 2 coats of U-POL Clear. The headlight weren't real bad but now they look new. I got the disc online for about $5.00 and the U-POL clear on Amazon for I think $20. Less than many of the all in one kits. Even the always critical wife was impressed. Thanks to Trav!
grin.gif

By the time the outer lenses show age the amount of light getting through is substantially reduced. This doesn't even on include the reduced performance of the reflector or bulbs themselves which also age.

I am an advocate of replacing the housings with genuine oem products, not aftermarket and getting back the light on the road as it was intended.

They wear out just like tires or brakes, but most people just keep running them forever.

Restoration is very temporary and the rattle can UV protectant is expensive and not anywhere near as good as the oem coating.

If you don't UV coat the restoration it's really useless since it will re cloud very quickly.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Plast X

PlastX does actually work quite well, and it's cheap. Here you can see the difference PlastX made on my Saturn.

I used Meguiars 105/205 and a little elbow grease and my headlights are prestine. I also hear 3M's kit is worth the money.

I've always had great luck just using fine grit wet/dry sandpaper (800/1200/1500 grit) followed by some toothpaste on a damp cloth, followed by a quick buff and sealant.

I use my rotary polisher with compounding pad to polish the headlights whenever I happen to have it out. You should get decent results with just rubbing compound and a rag. And some elbow grease. Keep a good coat of wax or paint sealant on them and they will stay clear for quite a while.

Last edited:
the stuff you can buy at amazon WipeNew Headlight restore kit is actually a very good product. I used rubbing compound and the white side of the little pad they provide on the lens first. and you can get some 3000 grit to help.

There is enough product to do 4 sets of headlights if you have them all ready to go. I did three over 3 months ago and they all still look like new.. now the lens were not completely fogged up so to speak.. mainly on the top of the lens but after the treatment they look close to new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back