Durability of Dexos 1 5W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there anything about a Dexos 1 certified 5W-30 that would make it more resistant to shearing than a regular synthetic blend 5W-30 ?

Would a Dexos 1 certified 5W-30 be as durable as a regular synthetic blend 10W-30 ?

I think in some direct inject engines VWB or other conventional a resist shearing on as I've seen from lots of UOA's

dexos1 has an additional shear test it has to pass. (Note, all dexos1 oils are SN too.)
SN: Shear Stability, Sequence VIII, ASTM D6709
dexos1: Shear Stability, Bosch Injector CEC-L-14-A-93, DIN ISO 3104, ASTM D664

https://www.aftonchemical.com/Lists/Brochure/Attachments/40/Specification_Handbook.pdf

So the answer is maybe. The 5w-30 may be a full-syn or part-syn, and you could bet the full syn 5w-30 is as good or better than the part-syn 10w-30.

ExMachina, WOW!! That handbook has everything in it. I feel like I struck Gold. Thank you sir.
55.gif

It appears that the goal of the Dexos license program is to insure the use of an appropriate oil and maybe a more important aspect is to prevent the use of a substandard oil.

As a BITOG member you can probably choose a non Dexos approved oil that would be an adequate substitute but that's hardly the case with most other owners as well as some auto shops and quicky oil change services.

OneEyeJack,

O'Reilly has ACDelco 5W-30 on closeout for $3.99/quart.

I was just wondering if it's safe to use in my Buick 3800 which specs 10W-30.
21.gif

Hey Merkava, I just looked on the PQIA site and they tested it.. A Synthetic blend... Looks really good to me man. Really good actually
smile.gif
roll with it Captain

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
OneEyeJack,

21.gif

Yes. Dexos1 is backwards compatible with all GM cars and supersedes all previous GM specs like 6094M and 4718M.

Today's 5w30s are as or more shear-stable than 10w30's of the past, dexos or otherwise.

21.gif

I had no idea O'Reilly had ACdelco oil, thinkin' it was only at GM dealerships where the price is high. I heard it's essentially Mobil's only synthetic blend you can get, since they skip blends under their own labelled bottles.

ExMachina, WOW!! That handbook has everything in it. I feel like I struck Gold. Thank you sir.
55.gif

Its a good read. Only problem is when I get stuck trying to find the ISO, ASTM, etc. details of each test, and how tough they are to meet.

Believe it or not, I have a 0w20 Dexos story to tell....

A mother pack-rat made a nest out of my wiring, tripping my engine codes and shutting down my D-Max.

Extended warranty rented me a 2015 5.3 double cab 1500, the OLM at 0%.

The nice people here.. www.can-bow.com changed the oil before I left with 8 liters of 0W20 and a 63 filter.

I would like to publically thank Can-Bow Motors and GMC who did everything they could to make an unfortunate situation better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: ExMachina
dexos1 has an additional shear test it has to pass. (Note, all dexos1 oils are SN too.)
SN: Shear Stability, Sequence VIII, ASTM D6709
dexos1: Shear Stability, Bosch Injector CEC-L-14-A-93, DIN ISO 3104, ASTM D664

https://www.aftonchemical.com/Lists/Brochure/Attachments/40/Specification_Handbook.pdf

So the answer is maybe. The 5w-30 may be a full-syn or part-syn, and you could bet the full syn 5w-30 is as good or better than the part-syn 10w-30.

Great Handbook, Thank you! Your contribution to the forum is greatly appreciated!

OneEyeJack,

21.gif

Does the Buick manual say anything about an alternate grade Merkava 4?

I really try to go by the book, but it seems to be a syn blend GM 5w-30 could pass for an old school specified 10w-30.

ExMachina, I was able to get one quart after visiting approximately three local ORs. The bottle reminds me of the old Exxon, red bottle maybe and Mobil Special.

You are likely very correct with your analysis. The AC Delco oil is made by Exxon Mobil. Thus the similarity with the the bottles.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28

It says 5W-30 can be used below 60* F but 10W-30 is preferred above 0* F.

And another thing that I just read is that the OLM doesn't know the amount of dust particles in the oil. For dusty conditions, it recommends a 3 month/3000 mile routine. The manual also says to never go over 1 year/7,500 miles under any circumstances. The model year of my Buick is 2000 and the manual was written in 1999.

The one thing I find peculiar is the 2004 and 2005 models years recommend 5W-30 for all temps. The 2000-2005 Buick LeSabre is the exact same car and had the exact same engine during all five of those years. The only difference is in 2001, they changed the design on the parking brake lever.

The add-pack of today's 5w-30 oils likely makes them superior to 10w-30 of old when it comes to lubricating and high-temp shear-resistance....esp. synthetic oils...

I wouldn't be surprised if 5w-20 would be also be better too, especially for typical "daily drives" of 20 minutes or so (faster to "operating" temp)...though at extreme/severe use and high temps, 30w is recommended.

0w-xx oils are "somewhat" ("measurable?") better below zero at start-up, you know that...and the colder the better it is....

...nothing new here I know, but I've given it some thought lately as I picked up a bunch of Dexos 5w-20 PPPP recently and mixed 1:4 with 5w-30 PP+ I have on hand....

Last edited:
OneEyeJack,

21.gif

I would think so since both 10W-30 and 5W-30 are both 30 weight at operating temperature. 5W will just give you better cold flowing properties.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28

I would gather that dexos1 5w-30 would be a valid backspec for his vehicle. Additionally, I bet 0w-30 was mentioned in the manual for really cold conditions. For his OCIs, though, any 5w-30 would be perfectly fine, even though he won't believe me.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back