MaxLife Over Mercon V

Status
Not open for further replies.
MerconLV is not MerconV. It should only be used in vehicles that call for MerconLV. If your vehicle calls for MerconV do not use MerconLV.

From the Ford Motorcraft website:
NOTE: AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSIONS REQUIRING MERCON® V SHOULD ONLY BE
SERVICED WITH MERCON® V.

http://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/Main/quickref/atf.pdf

I am disappointed with the terrible advice that is routinely dispensed on BITOG. Let's stop making it up and focus on factual information instead. Just because we mean well, doesn't mean it will end well.

Keith

Quote:
.....Anyone know of a reason I should NOT believe Valvoline when they say it's a fine substitute for Mercon V?? And I don't mean in theroy!

Do you know exactly the qualifications of the person(s) you spoke with at Valvoline? A customer service rep, a qualified tech rep, or an engineer? Sometimes the folks that man the phones aren't the most qualified to answer technical questions. Purolator went through that with their PRO, Puro Response Office. Some of the answers coming out of there for a while were in direct conflict with information posted in black and white on their website.

Repeating myself, but as Mercon V is not listed on the list on the ML jug, or the pdf, I wouldn't use for a MercV application. Just me. Otoh, I would use Valvoline IMV atf for MercV, because it is listed as an application for that fluid. But unlike some of the applications ML lists, Mercon V seems to be a readily available ATF at reasonable price, it would likely be my first choice where spec'd.

All that said, if you are satisfied with the answers you got from the Valvoline rep(s) and all other related information, it's your vehicle and ultimately your call.
49.gif

I know this is an old thread, but it really is very applicable still. Especially considering I will be doing fluid in a 1996 Ford T45 manual trans soon which called for MERCON initially hence MERCON V currently.

I can get Motorcraft MERCON V and MaxLife for about the same price. At first I was leaning towards MaxLife due to its good reputation and that it is full synthetic. After looking at the PDS, though I am hesistant. The Valvoline PDS lists MaxLife as 5.91cst @ 100C while they list Valvoline Mercon V at 7.4cst @ 100C. This is a HUGE difference! Even compared to earlier viscosity reports in this thread,

MaxLife may make a good PS or ATF but I don't think its going to be the best suited for use in a manual trans originally spec'd for mercon. Thoughts? Agree or disagree?

Originally Posted By: buck91

MaxLife may make a good PS or ATF but I don't think its going to be the best suited for use in a manual trans originally spec'd for mercon. Thoughts? Agree or disagree?

A few thoughts.

If the MT calls for it, then it's OK to use. Although I've heard of car companies saying not to use the new thin stuff in older manual transmissions not originally equipped with it. That said, even though it starts with a lower viscosity, it retains visc better over time, being more shear-stable.

I'm sure plenty of people have used it with no problems, though.

The newer bottles of MaxLife ATF state that the fluid can be used where Mercon V and Mercon LV are used.

Quote:

Suitable for use in:

Ford MERCON®, MERCON®V, MERCON®SP and MERCON®LV applications
GM DEXRON®II, DEXRON®III and DEXRON®VI applications
Nissan/Infiniti Matic D, Matic J, Matic K, and Matic S applications
Mitsubishi Diamond SP-II and SP-III applications
Hyundai/ KIA SP-II, SP-III, SP-IV and SPH-IV applications
Subaru ATF and ATF@HP applications
Toyota/Lexus Type T, T-III, T-IV and WS
Honda/Acura ATF-Z1 (except in CVTs) applications
Allison C4 and TES@389 applications
Mercedes Benz NAG1 applications
Volvo passenger car applications and STD 1273.41
Volkswagen TL52162

One would think Valvoline has tested this fluid extensively BEFORE making this claim.

Has there been any documented cases where the use of Maxlife ATF has caused transmission damage? MaxLife isn't obviously all fluid compatible, ATF+4 isn't included.

^^^Funny thing is some of them last forever. But you never know when, they fail suddenly and catastrophically.

Here we have used ML in several platforms. It seems to be excellent stuff, never had any issues with it...

Originally Posted By: stchman

Mercedes Benz NAG1 applications

One would think Valvoline has tested this fluid extensively BEFORE making this claim.

Has there been any documented cases where the use of Maxlife ATF has caused transmission damage? MaxLife isn't obviously all fluid compatible, ATF+4 isn't included.

Excuse me, the NAG1 is a Merc design built by Chrysler. It is not a Mercedes part and it specs ATF+4 OEM. I know a few guys in the new gen Hemi arena who have used it in NAG1's and it works great....

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
We got a guy here who claimed it detonated his 4L60E in less than 100 miles, but I don't think a 4L60E needs any help to do that.

I highly doubt that transmission fluid causes transmissions to explode.

I had a 4L60E in my 2008 Silverado with the 5.3L. I bought the truck new and got rid of it with 80K miles, zero transmission problems.

With the 4L60E, it mostly comes down to a few annoying seal failures or detonation of the shat sun shell. I've had plenty that lasted, but some just get called home by God.

Funny thing about ATF is that many manufacturers get a trans from a supplier and say "F-you" and toss in their own fluid. My trans technically calls for ZF Lifeguard, but Ford shrugged their shoulders and filled them all with their Mercon LV.

All of the other companies took the same transmission and threw in their own fluid of all sorts of specs.

Makes you wonder how critical a rigid spec or recommendation actually is.

See Molakules list here. Use a dedicated MTL for a MT, the ATF is not ideal.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/1231182/5

I would start with royal purple or Honda MTF and adjust the viscosity depending on how to transmission feels.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule

Here is an updated list of dedicated GL-4 and a few GL-5 MTL's, Updated 12/7/2014:

A. These MTL fluids are closest to a Kinematic Viscosity of 6.xcSt@100C (About the same viscosity as a DexronVI) and SAE 70W to 75W or so are:

1. Castrol Syntrans FE 75W,

2. BMW (Pentosin) MTF-LT-3,

3. Honda MTII or MTF 2.

4. Ford FML-XT-11-QDC

5. Volvo Manual Transmission Fluid (6.4 cSt) [Recommended for: type M65 5-speed with 6-cyl. engine, M66, MTX75 and MMT6 and of the type M56, M58 and M59 from and including model year 1996. Meets Ford specification WSSM2C200-D2]

B. The next higher viscosity MTL would be the 7.5 cSt@100C versions (About the same viscosity as a the original DexronIII/Merc)

1. Royal Purple's Synchromax

2. Ravenol MTF-2

3. Honda MTF

4. VW part number G052512A2

5. GM Manual Transmission and Transfer Case Fluid

6. BMW (Pentosin MTF 2) MTF-LT-1, 2

C. The next higher viscosity MTL would be Castrol Syntrans V FE 75W-80 8.0cSt

D. The next higher viscosity MTL would be BG Synchroshift II 8.2 cSt

E. The next higher viscosity is Mopar Type MS-9417 MTL 9.0cSt

F. Valvoline MTF Part Number 811095 9.2 cSt

G. The next higher viscosity MTL would be Pennzoil Synchromesh 9.3 cSt

H. The next group of MTL’s are in the 10.x cSt (SAE 75W80) range:

1. Redline MTL 75W80

2. Amsoil MTF (9.7 cSt)

3. GM Synchromesh’s

4. Volvo MTF 645

5. Fuchs TITAN SINTOFLUID SAE 75W-80 synthetic MTF (Carries a GL-5 rating as well)

6. Lodexol (Morris Lubricants) MTF

I. The next higher viscosity MTL would be a 12.0cSt@100C and SAE 75W85:

1. Redline MT-85 – 12.0 cSt

J. The next higher viscosity MTLs in the 14-15 cSt ( SAE 75W90) range would be:

1. Amsoil MTG

2. Redline MT-90

3. Castrol Syntrans Multivehicle 75W-90

4. Castrol Syntrans Transaxle 75w-90

5. Ford XT-75W90-QGT (Carries a GL-5 rating as well)

6. Ford MOTORCRAFT® Full Synthetic Manual Transmission Fluid XT-M5-QS

7. Subaru Extra-S Gear & Transmission Fluid carries a GL-5 Rating because it is used in common sump driveline systems.

Bingo. First thing I did with my Ram was dump the ATF+4 and use a gear lube, which is what Mercedes always did with the G56 in the first place.

I assume you are talking about a manual transmission.

If yes, gear lube is FAR thicker (90 - 140 weight) than transmission fluid which is about a 10 weight oil.

Correct. This is one of those occasions where I really get suspicious of how much research and engineering goes into spec'ing a fluid. There was absolutely no history of these transmissions ever running on ATF, and Chrysler just said F-it, and dropped it in anyway.

Correct. This is one of those occasions where I really get suspicious of how much research and engineering goes into spec'ing a fluid. There was absolutely no history of these transmissions ever running on ATF, and Chrysler just said F-it, and dropped it in anyway.

Bingo. First thing I did with my Ram was dump the ATF+4 and use a gear lube, which is what Mercedes always did with the G56 in the first place.

Except which gear lube did Mercedes spec? I doubt it was heavier
than 75w-90. If anything it was probably 75w-80 GL-4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back